Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have solar energy energy tester and I have been unable to test a Model 3 this weekend, but I did test my Model S. The main issue we are discussing on the Model 3 is part aesthetic and part functional. It is hard to "partially tint" a transition without any edge... On my Model S, there is a heavy IR "tint" on the the roof with excellent heat rejection.
My rear window/hatch has none of the IR coating, but I have it tinted with some of the best ceramic tint, Huper Optik. 65% TSER and 86% IR.
At noon here in Phoenix:
Windshield-360 w/m2
Factory Roof-6.6 w/m2-no added tint
My ceramic tinted rear hatch glass-121.9 w/m2

As I said in an earlier post, the Model 3 roof glass "felt" noticeably hotter than my Model S, I am looking for a stock Model 3 to test here in Phoenix, but it very clear the factory IR on S/X does a great job in heat rejection. Testing with a flood lamp will not cut it as a sun simulation, a heat lamp would be better...Or in my case walking outside in AZ...:cool: I am hoping that the Model 3 glass will be similar in solar energy transmission compared with the 6.6 w/m2 I measured today, but I am not sure...
Garlan has posted some great pix, but the issue everyone is stressing about is the appearance, not the performance. The 2 roof panels should have the same IR, but the trunk area may not, as with the S/X. When I test a 3 we will have some more data points...

IMG_3758.jpg IMG_3760.jpg

Last edited:
I have solar energy energy tester and I have been unable to test a Model 3 this weekend, but I did test my Model S. The main issue we are discussing on the Model 3 is part aesthetic and part functional. It is hard to "partially tint" a transition without any edge... On my Model S, there is a heavy IR "tint" on the the roof with excellent heat rejection.
My rear window/hatch has none of the IR coating, but I have it tinted with some of the best ceramic tint, Huper Optik. 65% TSER and 86% IR.
At noon here in Phoenix:
Windshield-360 w/m2
Factory Roof-6.6 w/m2-no added tint
My ceramic tinted rear hatch glass-121.9 w/m2

As I said in an earlier post, the Model 3 roof glass "felt" noticeably hotter than my Model S, I am looking for a stock Model 3 to test here in Phoenix, but it very clear the factory IR on S/X does a great job in heat rejection. Testing with a flood lamp will not cut it as a sun simulation, a heat lamp would be better...Or in my case walking outside in AZ...:cool: I am betting that the Model 3 glass will be allow more solar energy through compared with the 6.6 w/m2 I measured today, but I hope I am wrong...

View attachment 331326 View attachment 331327

I've been asking if anyone is going to change their Model 3 order concerning this topic and all I've heard are crickets.

The concern ISNT the difference between the Model 3 and the Model S. That's not the topic.

I've been asking if anyone is going to change their Model 3 order concerning this topic and all I've heard are crickets.

The concern ISNT the difference between the Model 3 and the Model S. That's not the topic.

For many the concern isn’t even the heat resistance itself. It’s the visual effect. And you’re buying a Tesla, not a Bolt, so don’t pretend that vanity isn’t part of this equation. It’s unique and further separates from many vehicles in this segment.

*flame suit on* the way i see it, i got "stuck" with gen 1 seats and all orange glass, and later builds get gen 2 seats and partial orange glass. should i swap out my seats to gen 2? i wonder what the next big change will be that people will comment about.