Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof rock chip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
Well that didn't take long.

Saw/heard it happen on the freeway, pretty good sized rock and a startlingly loud smack.

Thought I dodged a bullet (or a rock I guess) because I couldn't see any obvious damage from inside the car, but found this once I got home.

Looks like a good candidate for repair, hoping to get a mobile glass place out to look at it first thing in the morning. I shudder to think what a replacement would cost if the cracks start to travel...

Attachments

• IMG_6652.JPG
    IMG_6652.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 160
If a tree fell on my car, my Ameriprise policy would cover my glass roof just like a metal one, which for me means $1000 deductible. (My included glass coverage would cover the windshield.) I would be surprised if that isn't the case for most policies, but would be worth a call to your insurer to find out. That would be a pretty expensive item to be uninsured.

Glass shop repaired the chip and it seems to be holding up, no further issues. So that's good. Tried to get an "after" pic of the repair but you honestly can't even tell where it was any more, hard to get it to show up in a picture.

Lesson learned, keep a close eye on the leading edge of the glass panel and fix any issues before the cracks have a chance to spread!

Reactions: rjcbox and bmah