TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Glass roof rock chip

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ucmndd, Mar 5, 2017.

1. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

Well that didn't take long.

Saw/heard it happen on the freeway, pretty good sized rock and a startlingly loud smack.

Thought I dodged a bullet (or a rock I guess) because I couldn't see any obvious damage from inside the car, but found this once I got home.

Looks like a good candidate for repair, hoping to get a mobile glass place out to look at it first thing in the morning. I shudder to think what a replacement would cost if the cracks start to travel...

Attached Files:

2. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

It does look repairable, just dont leave it to long. My guess would be 5k+ to replace the glass.

3. azred

azred Member

If a tree fell on my car, my Ameriprise policy would cover my glass roof just like a metal one, which for me means $1000 deductible. (My included glass coverage would cover the windshield.) I would be surprised if that isn't the case for most policies, but would be worth a call to your insurer to find out. That would be a pretty expensive item to be uninsured.

4. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

Yes, I fully expect it would be covered under my comprehensive policy if worse comes to worse.

Auto glass place will be here later today, hoping for a $50 repair vs. $5k insurance claim. ;)

5. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

Glass shop repaired the chip and it seems to be holding up, no further issues. So that's good. Tried to get an "after" pic of the repair but you honestly can't even tell where it was any more, hard to get it to show up in a picture.

Lesson learned, keep a close eye on the leading edge of the glass panel and fix any issues before the cracks have a chance to spread!

• Like x 2