Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof vs rear glass roof ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused about this too (glass roof vs. rear glass roof). There are three sections to the top of the cabin in a Model 3: the front section is the windshield and it has to be made of glass for the driver to see out; the middle section (above the front row seats) is the roof and it can be made of metal or glass; the rear section (above the back row seats) is the rear window and it has to be made of glass in order to be able to see out of the back of the car.

Why did they need to point out the rear window is made of glass in the FAQ? What else would the rear window be made of other than glass? It's like specifically stating the base Model 3 has a glass windshield. The FAQ should have said the base Model 3 comes with a metal roof (the middle section), if that's what they really meant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big-T
For the sake of those who are first in line, I hope they either make the configurator available or show clearly what is being ordered. That or say openly it is just the initial fixed configuration they can show at this point and anyone who selects base config will have to wait to see what exactly they have picked.

I'm confused about this too (glass roof vs. rear glass roof). There are three sections to the top of the cabin in a Model 3: the front section is the windshield and it has to be made of glass for the driver to see out; the middle section (above the front row seats) is the roof and it can be made of metal or glass; the rear section (above the back row seats) is the rear window and it has to be made of glass in order to be able to see out of the back of the car.

Why did they need to point out the rear window is made of glass in the FAQ? What else would the rear window be made of other than glass? It's like specifically stating the base Model 3 has a glass windshield. The FAQ should have said the base Model 3 comes with a metal roof (the middle section), if that's what they really meant.

Unlike other cars the rear window extends above the rear passengers. That's the only reason they call it out in the standard features. I'd be really surprised if the rear window was different in any way between base and premium.

Some have said that the NON PUP roof is metal. hmmmmmm
That seems to be the general assumption, although no one has reported seeing a non-glass roof on a Model 3 yet. All we know for sure is that PUP gives you a glass roof (the tiny middle section). For all we know, the base model may be getting a mini-ragtop like the old Renault Le Car. :rolleyes::D

Le-Performance-Car.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: dgpcolorado