TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Glove box stuck closed

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by doubleohwhat, Sep 30, 2016.

1. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Member

Well, it took me less than 72 hours to break something on the car. Apparently I closed the glove box too hard and now it's stuck closed. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to open it?

2. Lex

Lex Member

Just to make sure, you're not in Valet Mode ? That would prevent it from opening.

Otherwise it sounds like you need to make a call or email to Tesla as it should not be able to get jammed by "closing too hard".

3. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Member

Nope. Valet mode is not on :/

4. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Crowbar?

5. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Member

Tempted. My wallet is in the damn thing

6. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I'm halfway serious though. Press the button, and use something like a credit card or a small plastic "crowbar" for trim removal to try to leverage the glovebox open. Don't apply too much pressure, see if it gives.

7. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I was able to open one by pressing the open button and simultaneously pressing the box door in and to the left/right.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Member

Thanks. I'll give that a go and see what happens. I called Tesla and they said I shouldn't pack too much stuff in there. All I have in there is the car registration, insurance card and my thin wallet. If that's too much then there's a problem.

• Funny x 1
  9. Lump

Lump Active Member

Did the same, press button while pushing in top right of door.

10. JPP

JPP Active Member

My glovebox door will jam and fail to open it is stuffed a bit too full, and when I close it the 2 spring latches on either side have 'outward' pressure on them. When that happens, I hold the glovebox release button, and try to press in on the door to see if the outward pressure lowers and the latches pop open. See if this works...

• Informative x 1
  11. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Member

Thanks all. I was able to free my wallet. Unfortunately the glove compartment seems to be broken as it still refuses to open on its own. I've contacted Tesla and they created a ticket.