Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
L1s would work great for short range BEVs like Leaf and Volt, and PHEVs like Energi and PiP.

IMHO Tesla's should NOT be using work place L2 charging at all. The one at my office does most of the charging only at office for free with only L1 at home.

Why not? This doesn't make sense for me. An L1 isn't enough to recover the mileage I need to get back. Without an L2 I'd need to hunt for a supercharger to make the round trip.

If you actually need the charge, of course plug into a L2 at work. I think what mkayakumar was saying is that for EV owners who have more than enough charge to complete their daily commute without workplace charging, it may be better to simply not plug in, and leave the l2 chargers available for someone who really needs them.

Does anyone know what are GM's plans regarding worldwide Volt sales?
As there will be no Ampera gen 2, will they be selling Volts around Europe instead?

For some strange reason I like the Volt2. If for some other strange reason I cannot get Tesla E, i might look into Volt2.
8,4s 0-100 time is a bit better than my current diesel, ~50 real world electric km is also kinda good.

The Automotive press has reported that Opel/Vauxhall Ampera Chevy Volt is being cancelled for 2016 in Europe to be replaced by another plug-in vehicle. In fact Chevrolet is being cancelled. Corvette will be sold as a Chevrolet at select GM(Cadillac?) dealers. GM refuses, per policy, to comment on future product.

If you actually need the charge, of course plug into a L2 at work. I think what mkayakumar was saying is that for EV owners who have more than enough charge to complete their daily commute without workplace charging, it may be better to simply not plug in, and leave the l2 chargers available for someone who really needs them.
FWIW, at my work, we have a # of Model S drivers. We apparently semi-recently were given 4 HPWCs by Tesla (similar to what they do for hotels, apparently), which our work installed. I don't know the details, but I'd guess we paid for the installation and only received the hardware for free. It helps take the pressure off the L2 stations.

If anyone cares, mkjayakumar and I have been in disagreement about workplace charging on MNL, at least with the situation at MY workplace and our local electric utility (aka Pacific Gouge & Extort) vs. his views. Discussion begins at My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Practical use of a quick charger. Our electricity in PG&E-land is pricey, nowhere near as cheap as TX. More details at My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Practical use of a quick charger and My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Practical use of a quick charger.

We have PLENTY of PHEVs (Volts, both Ford Energis, PiPs, etc.) who also use our L2 stations. They technically don't "need" to charge, but do. And, I (as a BEV driver) and everyone else is fine with it.

I don't know the details of everyone's commutes, but I'm 90% certain that at least 75%, if not 100% of the Model S drivers at my work don't "need" to charge at work due to their commute length. One of them only lives 7 miles from work (closer than me, ~12 miles/each way). He's definitely used the L2 stations we have (before we got the HPWCs). Another Model S driver also has a Leaf that he sometimes commutes with. Don't know his commute length.

Last edited:
Charge rate on the Volt matters much, much less than for pure electrics. Chevrolet engineers report that many of their customers are charging on 110-volt household current, probably because they're using it as a commuter and the time between parking in the evening and leaving in the morning is adequate even at the low rate. And if you do run low on battery, it just means you're running on the RE, and can still drive normally. The job to be done is efficient transportation, not to necessarily maximize the percentage of operation on electricity.

I disagree with this. We charge our volt on 240v twice a day at home. On most days, the car barely finishes charging before it has to go back out. Yes, I can burn oil if I need to, but I'd rather not. Increasing the rate of charge would solve this issue completely.

That seems pretty ridiculous to me - it really isn't that hard to tell that the car is one, between the chimes, headlights, and coolant pumps.

Starting in 2014, GM put a limiter on the car that causes it to turn itself off after 2.5 hours sitting in park with no activity - it sounds like they're planning to hobble the rest of us with it, too.

(I wouldn't mind having it as a default option which can be disabled, but I have actually knowingly left it on while plugged in (for HVAC) and spent the night in the back - this "fix" actually reduces the car's capability to protect us all from incompetent drivers.)
Walter

A few years ago when I was helping at the Toronto auto show, a Volt that was on display was left on by accident. In the middle of the night it started up to charge the battery. The security staff noticed and were worried the catalytic converter would set the carpet on fire or something. They had to call for instructions on how to turn the car off.

A few years ago when I was helping at the Toronto auto show, a Volt that was on display was left on by accident. In the middle of the night it started up to charge the battery. The security staff noticed and were worried the catalytic converter would set the carpet on fire or something. They had to call for instructions on how to turn the car off.

Two things with this: Why on earth would the car have been left inside a conference center in a state that it could be started up in the first place? Some kid crawling through the car could have put it in gear and wreaked havoc! For this to happen, it would have to had been unlocked with the key inside. I'm going to have to check with our Volt, but I'm pretty sure you can't lock it from the outside when it is still on. Every car I typically see at an auto show (or dealer showroom for that matter) usually has the battery disconnected to prevent unintended consequences from happening indoors.

Secondly, my understanding is that all cars brought into indoor locations like this have to be drained of all fuels and volatiles as part of the fire code. If this is not the case, big auto shows like the one in Toronto are major disasters waiting to happen! I was at a large industry show a couple of years ago in San Diego (not a car show) and they brought in a Fisker Karma to display. I was told by the vendor at the particular booth about all of the things they had to do to the car to get it indoors, including the fuel draining requirement. I would have to assume similar rules exist in Canada.

This sounds like a HUGE oversight and a very big bullet dodged.

It was the first night after it was driven in. The show was not open yet. Setting up the show takes multiple days and most of the vehicles are driven inside. I drove my Roadster in.

No fuel draining was done on any of the vehicles. They were all driven back out again at the end of the event.

I'm going to have to check with our Volt, but I'm pretty sure you can't lock it from the outside when it is still on.

I've got one and I've done this (left the car running, then got out and locked the door) several times while on roadtrips where I wanted to leave the ventilation on while my dogs were in the back and I was running in to grab coffee or to use the restroom. It's definitely a useful "feature" even if it's probably a bit weird. :)

That's one thing I love about the Tesla - no more concept of turning the car "on" or "off"
Once I helped move a colleague's Leaf out of the workplace chargers, but apparently left the car On. No harm done as it was just a few hours but slightly embarrassing.

that is a bad thing in my book. i need to know when my car's on and draining energy/can be accidently driven.

dont like it when my car's hiding from me. tsk tsk.

Any lawyers on the thread want to get a "head" start writing up the next class action lawsuit against GM? Looks like some easy money might be made on the next-gen Volt...

It seems like it’s unavoidable that at some point in the future a rear-seat occupant will likely be injured during a crash due to his/her head striking either the glass or the black, hard plastic trim. Maybe General Motors still has time to fix this potential flaw?

Full scoop here:
2016 Chevrolet Volt Design Flaw Revealed In This Video?

Surely the fine engineers at GM thought this through, right?

RT