Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's no different than the first generation Volt. Frankly, this is a pretty poor excuse for a safety issue.

The back seat is tight for adults, agreed. I would hope that a reasonable person who found himself sitting with his head wedged between the glass and the headliner trim would, you know, sit somewhere else. I'd be more concerned about my head banging on the glass during normal driving.

When you find yourself stuck in a hole, the first step to getting out is to stop digging... This is a good thing, demand for the current model really tanked once the next-gen model was unveiled.

(And if you can't swing a Tesla, but the currrent crop of EV's don't work for you, there should be some fantastic incentives on a leftover 2015 Volt soon.)

It's funny that there is a claim that sales of the old version are "lackluster amid low gasoline prices and the release of more capable electric models from competitors."

What about the fact that GM announced a clearly superior successor version, which trounces the current car in every way?

It's funny that there is a claim that sales of the old version are "lackluster amid low gasoline prices and the release of more capable electric models from competitors."

What about the fact that GM announced a clearly superior successor version, which trounces the current car in every way?

The entire quote was:

The first Volt went on sale in 2010 with high expectations, but sales have been lackluster amid low gasoline prices and the release of more capable electric models from competitors. GM has sold about 70,000 Volts to date, far below initial company forecasts.

So, to be fair to WSJ, they are talking about sales since launch in 2010.

OMG. I think this "low gas prices" is complete BS. Yes, they dropped like a rock when the Saudis tried to kill out fracking ops in the US (please don't get me started on that!). PS: did not work.

But gas dropped 50% for perhaps six weeks. Well, guess what? They are right back up again. Perhaps not at their peak. But they are right back up to 3.50/gal. We are fools for thinking that oil prices will stay low for the long term. Not to mention that oil is what is destroying our planet. And for the very, very long term.

We need to wake up.

The entire quote was:

So, to be fair to WSJ, they are talking about sales since launch in 2010.

Sales didn't meet their initial "pie in the sky" predictions.
However, sales overall are quite good. They are the number two seller of plugin vehicles in the world, very close to Nissan.

It is only lately that sales have fallen off a cliff, after the unveiling of the 2016 model.

Case in point is that we are looking to get another Volt this year (moving current one to another family member) but with all the features/changes in the 2016 we are not even considering the 2015 ...

Similar situation here. I would like to consider a plug in hybrid to replace our second ICE and the Volt is at the top of my list. With the pending release of the new model, I'm not inclined to jump now.

We just purchased a 2015 Volt as it has a very solid reputation for being a quality car that is over engineered. My one minor fear for 2016 is they would focus on reducing costs and reliability could drop.

We have been VERY pleased with the Volt to date. For us it works better than a Model S but not quite as fun to drive than the Roadster. But it is much better than the Roadster on trips.

We just purchased a 2015 Volt as it has a very solid reputation for being a quality car that is over engineered. My one minor fear for 2016 is they would focus on reducing costs and reliability could drop.

We have been VERY pleased with the Volt to date. For us it works better than a Model S but not quite as fun to drive than the Roadster. But it is much better than the Roadster on trips.

Curious if it's better than the S because of current charging infrastructure in the region or if it's something different.

OMG. I think this "low gas prices" is complete BS. Yes, they dropped like a rock when the Saudis tried to kill out fracking ops in the US (please don't get me started on that!). PS: did not work.

Marketplace on NPR yesterday: layoffs in the domestic oil industry are up 4000%.

But gas dropped 50% for perhaps six weeks. Well, guess what? They are right back up again. Perhaps not at their peak. But they are right back up to 3.50/gal. We are fools for thinking that oil prices will stay low for the long term. Not to mention that oil is what is destroying our planet. And for the very, very long term.

There's a difference between the price of gasoline, and the price of oil. Crude oil is still down about 50% over a year ago. Gasoline prices are coming back up so the oil companies can increase their profits, that's more a market demand thing (and switching to summer formula in CA).

I agree that oil will be going back up, and when it does, I don't think it'll stop at $100/barrel.

Don't think this is really even news. They discontinue 2015 production mid year to make way for the fall releases of a 2016. Seems like WSJ trying to push a non-event into something negative.
Exactly.

GM To End Current Production Chevrolet Volt In May - As Planned

InsideEVs said:
Here is the thing, none of that is very accurate.

If anything, GM has spend the last month or so increasing national inventories in anticipation of the extended shut-down...
InsideEVs said:
these “news flashes” about high inventory and the low prices of gas causing a reaction out of GM to “halt” production are totally fabricated.

InsideEVs said:
we have been looking at an end of production date for the Chevrolet Volt of May 15, 2015 on our schedules for ages…like since last year. A fact we have reported on frequently during on our Sales Scorecard each month.

This does however validate Tesla's business model of not announcing things early until they're ready to start producing them. As we see with the Volt, as soon as you announce a much better vehicle, nobody wants your current offering anymore, so you end up not being able to do anything until the new model comes out anyway. Better to wait until you are ready to produce the new model before you announce it so that your sales don't stop and your production line doesn't end up idle in the transition.