Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

GM just adopted NACS 🤯🤯🤯

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears that V2 (150 kW) and Urban (72 kW) Superchargers are excluded from the deal, although I haven't seen that explicitly stated in any official document from Tesla, Ford, or GM.
V2 chargers don't have the ability to use the CCS protocol. Tesla already seems hard at work overlaying the last of V2 only interstate routes, so especially with the federal $, should be no problem getting that done in time, especially if competitors start overlaying NACS stations too.

From all the reports those things need more than new cables. They'd do everyone a favor to put them in dumpsters now and replace them with SCs.
A lot of the Tesla V1/V2 chargers had teething pains early on too. Should we have scrapped them all and given up on the stupid EV fad?

Give them some time to sort out the issues with inconsistent implementation of the CCS protocol and all the supply chain crap and I'm sure they will catch up to Tesla before long.

V2 chargers don't have the ability to use the CCS protocol. Tesla already seems hard at work overlaying the last of V2 only interstate routes, so especially with the federal $, should be no problem getting that done in time, especially if competitors start overlaying NACS stations too.
There's plenty of V2 sections. You can't yet drive across the USA using V3 only. When the new Montana Superchargers are done that will be the first cross-country V3 route enabled.

The other thing this deal does is put a massive damper on non-Tesla EV sales.
But if you can get Tesla charging with a Ford, GM, or probably other makes soon, the incentive to buy another Tesla plummets.
So a lose-lose then. Lol.

There's plenty of V2 sections. You can't yet drive across the USA using V3 only. When the new Montana Superchargers are done that will be the first cross-country V3 route enabled.
After talking about this in another thread I realized you can in fact go Boston to Seatlle on nothing but V3s, you just go through Canada. :)

They say the switch to NACS ports won't happen until 2025 and schedules normally move to the right, so Tesla potentially has 2 full years to finish overlaying V3. I'm sure EA and others will probably convert some of their stalls in that time as well, so there will be no shortage of options available when Ford and GM actually start shipping cars with NACS ports.

They say the switch to NACS ports won't happen until 2025 and schedules normally move to the right, so Tesla potentially has 2 full years to finish overlaying V3. I'm sure EA and others will probably convert some of their stalls in that time as well, so there will be no shortage of options available when Ford and GM actually start shipping cars with NACS ports.
What about 2024, when adapters are sent to Ford and GM owners to use Superchargers? Will those adapters work with older Superchargers below V3?

What about 2024, when adapters are sent to Ford and GM owners to use Superchargers? Will those adapters work with older Superchargers below V3?
Seems unlikely unless Tesla ends up retrofitting V1 and V2 superchargers with PLC. Probably will cause some confusion unless they're somehow clearly marked. And the stations that have mixed V2 and V3 stalls will also be confusing for cars that are only compatible with the newer ones.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Seems unlikely unless Tesla ends up retrofitting V1 and V2 superchargers with PLC. Probably will cause some confusion unless they're somehow clearly marked. And the stations that have mixed V2 and V3 stalls will also be confusing for cars that are only compatible with the newer ones.
Indeed. They will have to learn to identify which ones are V3 and above.

Nope, but they won't be magically locked into Tesla superchargers, they can use any CCS station they want.

It might be confusing for people that are accustom to the 'look out window' method of navigation, but anyone using the onboard navigation would just never be sent to a V2 charger.

Well, hopefully they'll soon start deploying V4, which will allow the Detroit cars to park properly and charge.

Nope, but they won't be magically locked into Tesla superchargers, they can use any CCS station they want.

It might be confusing for people that are accustom to the 'look out window' method of navigation, but anyone using the onboard navigation would just never be sent to a V2 charger.

I have this vision of Tesla loyalists hanging out quietly at V2 charging stations :)

+1 on this. Ford has explicitly said that they plan to add Tesla Superchargers to their vehicles' in-car navigation systems, and they'd be phenomenally incompetent to add useless-to-Ford V2 Superchargers to that system. (Well, I suppose I could see it happening as a bug, but I expect it would be fixed pretty quickly.)

This does raise another question, though: Several non-Tesla DC fast charger manufacturers have confirmed that they plan to offer NACS plugs as options. So far, I haven't heard anything from network operators (EVgo, EA, ChargePoint, etc.) about whether they'll be adding such plugs, but IMHO it's virtually certain that they will. (I know that EVgo already has Tesla plugs via Tesla's CHAdeMO-to-Tesla adapter.) The question is whether such stations might show up in Teslas' in-car navigation systems. It seems like something that the charging networks would be eager to arrange. Tesla might not be as eager to add competitors' networks, but this could help alleviate crowding at some stations in some areas, as well as help people who need to find charging nearby (apartment dwellers or people who are at their road-trip destinations and need to charge for local driving), so Tesla might be amenable to this. I vaguely recall hearing that Tesla has already added the EVgo CHAdeMO-to-Tesla sites to their navigation, so if that recollection is correct, there is that precedent, as well as an existing relationship between Tesla and EVgo. I imagine there'd have to be a way to toggle these stations on and off, perhaps under driver control, and definitely to disable them by default on cars that lack CCS compatibility (unless Tesla licenses or opens up their proprietary car-to-charger communications protocols). I don't have a strong opinion on whether this will happen, but I'm definitely hoping it will happen. Teslas do a good job of helping drivers find Superchargers on road trips, and adding competing NACS plugs to the navigation system, ideally with options to enable drivers to prioritize which networks to use, would help Tesla drivers.

Several non-Tesla DC fast charger manufacturers have confirmed that they plan to offer NACS plugs as options. So far, I haven't heard anything from network operators (EVgo, EA, ChargePoint, etc.) about whether they'll be adding such plugs,

Here are the companies I have seen issue support for NACS: AmpUp, Autel, Blink, EVPassport, FreeWire, FLO, EVgo, and ABB.

Blink, EVPassport, FreeWire, FLO, and EVgo are CPOs. (Charge Point Operators)

The question is whether such stations might show up in Teslas' in-car navigation systems. It seems like something that the charging networks would be eager to arrange. Tesla might not be as eager to add competitors' networks, but this could help alleviate crowding at some stations in some areas, as well as help people who need to find charging nearby (apartment dwellers or people who are at their road-trip destinations and need to charge for local driving), so Tesla might be amenable to this.
I believe they do this in Europe but they only include it if the station meets certain criteria including uptime and successful Tesla charges.

+1 on this. Ford has explicitly said that they plan to add Tesla Superchargers to their vehicles' in-car navigation systems, and they'd be phenomenally incompetent to add useless-to-Ford V2 Superchargers to that system. (Well, I suppose I could see it happening as a bug, but I expect it would be fixed pretty quickly.)

This does raise another question, though: Several non-Tesla DC fast charger manufacturers have confirmed that they plan to offer NACS plugs as options. So far, I haven't heard anything from network operators (EVgo, EA, ChargePoint, etc.) about whether they'll be adding such plugs, but IMHO it's virtually certain that they will. (I know that EVgo already has Tesla plugs via Tesla's CHAdeMO-to-Tesla adapter.) The question is whether such stations might show up in Teslas' in-car navigation systems. It seems like something that the charging networks would be eager to arrange. Tesla might not be as eager to add competitors' networks, but this could help alleviate crowding at some stations in some areas, as well as help people who need to find charging nearby (apartment dwellers or people who are at their road-trip destinations and need to charge for local driving), so Tesla might be amenable to this. I vaguely recall hearing that Tesla has already added the EVgo CHAdeMO-to-Tesla sites to their navigation, so if that recollection is correct, there is that precedent, as well as an existing relationship between Tesla and EVgo. I imagine there'd have to be a way to toggle these stations on and off, perhaps under driver control, and definitely to disable them by default on cars that lack CCS compatibility (unless Tesla licenses or opens up their proprietary car-to-charger communications protocols). I don't have a strong opinion on whether this will happen, but I'm definitely hoping it will happen. Teslas do a good job of helping drivers find Superchargers on road trips, and adding competing NACS plugs to the navigation system, ideally with options to enable drivers to prioritize which networks to use, would help Tesla drivers.

Well, GM is going NACS and GM has a deal with Pilot to host EVGo chargers. GM has a more generic deal with EVGo. EVGo is also Nissan's preferred network and Nissan has switched from CHAdeMO to CCS.

It would be logical that EVGo will be installing CCS/NACS.

They'll have to remove the current CHAdeMO to Tesla Proprietary Connector stations and replace them with NACS before those new Ford and GM NACS cars come off the production lines as the CHAdeMO adapters don't talk CCS. Perhaps they can just replace the adapters with the new CCS adapters Tesla will be making and do the same trick with plugging the CCS plug into it when not in use. That might be a good idea for all the 3P Charge Point Networks