Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM just adopted NACS 🤯🤯🤯

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For now EVs are still technology items. I could tell you about my diamond rio mp3 player that held ten songs and took 45 minutes to download but nobody cares. Technology consumers are like a herd of gazelles, the lions pick off a few here and there but the herd doesn't slow down.
To achieve mass adoption things have to get easier. A good place to start would be to stop saying NACS and CCS are the same thing, as clearly they are not to anyone other than an EV nerd.

People with CCS cars need to make their peace with a) you bought the wrong car and b) you'll need an adapter.
More likely CCS cars will be relegated to local use. I still see plenty of ten year old Nissan LEAFs bopping around and nobody seems to be complaining. The stats tell the the story; 35 miles is plenty for most people's usage.
Please. They bought the car they wanted for all sorts of reasons, and with every NACS station added their cars get more convenient to use (with an adapter). Nobody is going to stop road tripping because of this.

Please. They bought the car they wanted for all sorts of reasons, and with every NACS station added their cars get more convenient to use (with an adapter). Nobody is going to stop road tripping because of this.
For the benefit of consumers and technology adoption the government should drop the CCS requirement to receive the subsidies. It isn't a standard when 80% of the market is doing something else.

Reactions: kayak1
NACS is moving fast without resistance.
These folks put together a Tesla NACS Charger Adoption Tracker page:

Tesla NACS Charger Adoption Tracker - EVStation

Last edited:
...More likely CCS cars will be relegated to local use. I still see plenty of ten year old Nissan LEAFs bopping around and nobody seems to be complaining. The stats tell the the story; 35 miles is plenty for most people's usage.

I'm guessing you haven't followed Leaf owner forums much...

I've often wondered what percentage of CHAdeMO use in N America is by Teslas with CHAdeMO adapters. I bet it is fairly significant. However now that Tesla is moving decidedly in the CCS direction (electrically/digitally, not the CCS 1 physical plug), and offering upgrades for older cars, it kicks another prop out from under CHAdeMO.

Reactions: scottf200
I've often wondered what percentage of CHAdeMO use in N America is by Teslas with CHAdeMO adapters. I bet it is fairly significant. However now that Tesla is moving decidedly in the CCS direction (electrically/digitally, not the CCS 1 physical plug), and offering upgrades for older cars, it kicks another prop out from under CHAdeMO.
It doesn't help that Tesla doesn't sell the CHAdeMO adapter anymore, so the fleet of vehicles using it is not growing anywhere near as fast as it used to be. And is likely shrinking as people ditch the bulky CHAdeMO adapter and get the CCS retrofit performed.

Not since we turned in our lease, down four bars and barely able to get to work and back. I just assumed anybody who still has one at this point is well aware of what they have... a handy second car for short errands until it ups and dies.

<snip> I've often wondered what percentage of CHAdeMO use in N America is by Teslas with CHAdeMO adapters. I bet it is fairly significant. <snip>
Count me as one user of a CHAdeMO adapter but I'm pretty sure I'm insignificant. I've used the adapter for almost 4 years and I've never seen anybody else in public using one (an exception explained later). Either locally here in Silicon Valley, nor traveling into Oregon where I've used a couple of free stations in Brookings and Ashland. I would say that spending close to $500 for the adapter, when still being sold by Tesla, in order to access a limited number of CHAdeMO stations was probably not a fiscally sound decision. But it has worked out for me.

I had what I think were several good reasons to buy one. The two ChargePoint DCFC stations where I used to work were free to employees for 75 minutes per session. Attached to them with a steel security cable were the CHAdeMO adapters. When the Model 3 software was finally updated to use CHAdeMO (approx. July 2019) I started using the DCFC stations instead of the L2 at work. There were a few times when I had problems DC charging but I didn't know if it was my car, the adapters or the stations. I didn't want to rely upon the adapters working with the number of Model S and X using them day-to-day (the only time I've seen a CHAdeMO adapter being used) so I bought my own. However, a week later I was laid off. I used a Urban Supercharger for a few weeks but then a ChargePoint station opened near my home and it had free charging (at first) so I transitioned to using that as my primary charging source. I've never installed my Wall Connector, which I bought before I had my car (!).

Since then, the CP station has instituted a $0.19/kWh rate for electricity and a one hour time limit before kicking in a $4/hour extra fee. That rate still beats any residential plan I can get from PG&E. The station is located in the Santa Clara Valley Water District parking lot and I'm sure the electricity is being partially subsidized by that company. I've seen a fair amount of EVs there and sometimes both DCFC stations are being used when I pull up. BMW i3s, Chevy Bolts, VW ID.4s and yes, even Nissan LEAFs.

The CHAdeMO adapter has been useful when I've gone on a couple of long distance trips (aforementioned excursions into OR). A nice benefit was finding free stations where I can use it, both on the road and in town. Several times in the past Electrify America has offered free charging, usually during holiday periods and I've been able to grab some. I bought the adapter because I thought it was good to increase my chances of charging if there wasn't a nearby Supercharger, a definite condition on the Southern coast of Oregon. There's no Supercharger between Crescent City, CA and Bandon, OR, a distance of about 110 miles.

With Ford and now GM getting onboard the NACS train, it probably means my CHAdeMO adapter has a shortened lifespan. I can hope to get a few more years out of it before it joins my Sony MiniDisc player, several Palm Zire 71 and Rio Cali, Chiba, Forge and Nitrus MP3 players.

• Informative
Reactions: wws
It doesn't help that Tesla doesn't sell the CHAdeMO adapter anymore, so the fleet of vehicles using it is not growing anywhere near as fast as it used to be. And is likely shrinking as people ditch the bulky CHAdeMO adapter and get the CCS retrofit performed.
Google shows it's still on Tesla.com:

Google shows it's still on Tesla.com:
Link appears to be for Australia.

Reactions: Mike1080i
I assume in a normal NACS or CCS connection the temperature of the pins is monitored by sensors in the plug and/or the connector on the car. With an adapter (either NACS to CCS or vice versa) is that all propagated across the connections on the adapter? Is there any cooling from the cable to the NACS or CCS connector? Does an adapter require the power to be reduced to make up for any loss in cooling or temperature monitoring?

I assume in a normal NACS or CCS connection the temperature of the pins is monitored by sensors in the plug and/or the connector on the car. With an adapter (either NACS to CCS or vice versa) is that all propagated across the connections on the adapter? Is there any cooling from the cable to the NACS or CCS connector? Does an adapter require the power to be reduced to make up for any loss in cooling or temperature monitoring?
The sensors in the car's inlet and in the charger's plug will still work at their respective points, but neither has direct access to the temperature of the adapter. Tesla's adapter, though, reportedly includes features that cause the connection to break if the temperature rises too high. I don't recall the name of the device in question, but it's similar to a circuit breaker in a household breaker box, but it resets automatically when the temperature falls.

Reactions: SunnylandY
The sensors in the car's inlet and in the charger's plug will still work at their respective points, but neither has direct access to the temperature of the adapter. Tesla's adapter, though, reportedly includes features that cause the connection to break if the temperature rises too high. I don't recall the name of the device in question, but it's similar to a circuit breaker in a household breaker box, but it resets automatically when the temperature falls.
I would think that the most likely component which "measures" the temperature is a thermistor. It's basically a resistor which changes its value with the ambient temperature.

Reactions: SunnylandY
I bought three CHAdeMo adapters (and a CCS adapter) from the korean place where people were buying CCS adapters a few months before Tesla USA started selling them. Sold two overpriced so the third was basically free.

How often was the CHAD adapter used? Just once and it was at a charger that had two outlets, CCS and CHad, and the CCS broke.

The problem with CHAD, is that while it maxes at 50kW, the rate is usually around 30-40. At a charger that displays 150, using the CCS will get me over 100, but CHAD will get me 30-40, or about 2x-3x slower. Couple that with the weight and the difficulty of the plug (it can get stuck) and its easy to see why its going (gone) away.

ElectrifyAmerica said that most use of their CHAdeMO use was Tesla. (But they never wanted CHAdeMO and their 1 x 50kW didn't give Leaf owners any reason to switch to their stations)