Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM "ultium battery" Norway superbowl commercial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I skeptically hear "unobtainium." ;)

Soooooo disappointed in "gm". Even their commercial is suspect.

If GM spent less time marketing and and worrying about the bottom line, and more time engineering and innovating, they could actually create something people WANT to buy before the company goes bankrupt. (again)
(See what happens when you put MBAs in the drivers seat)
(. . . .)
</rant>

Last edited:
The skeptical way to look at the ad is, this is obviously a brand-building exercise. What car are they selling? It's certainly not the unmentioned Bolt, at 25k copies a year. Nor their next EV - the Hummer will be sold in even lower quantities. The point of the ad is not to sell EVs, it's to get you to think of GM as an advanced and savvy company making investments in the right places. Maybe you'll like GM better when you look for a gas car (few people buy cars because they are green; but oddly enough when they choose a large gas SUV, they feel better when they buy from a company that has a green image). Maybe the stock will go up a little bit.

The optimistic way to look at the ad is, unlike their earlier brand-building exercises (like when they eagerly Osborne'd their 2016 Volt to relentlessly talk about how much better the 2017 would be for far more than a year before it was available), this one isn't just saying they will have a nice option for EV buyers (with much of the campaign presented via online ads targeted only at presumed EV shoppers). This one was very widely broadcast, and it really sounds like they might be trying to prep their consumer base for a switch to EVs. We'll see how they follow up...

If GM spent less time marketing and and worrying about the bottom line, and more time engineering and innovating, they could actually create something people WANT to buy before the company goes bankrupt. (again)
(. . . .)
</rant>
F GM. Anything past 1969 is garbage. My prediction is another bailout request within this decade.

Imagine going to GM in 1965 and saying "You know, in 2021 you will have a Superbowl commercial telling the world that you are upset with Norway for buying too many non GM electric vehicles..." I doubt they could have fathomed that ever happening. The whole situation feels preposterous.

Reactions: MitchMitch

(. . . .)
</rant>

Mary Barra is heavily committed to EVs, as half their engineering staff is working on it.
She is perhaps the only CEO of a car company with both an engineering degree and who actually worked on the shop floor. The MBA didn't hurt.

Misogyny is very common in the auto enthusiast boards, but it's normally reserved for posers; folks who know nothing about cars but pretend they do.

GM missed the chance to have Will tell Norway that they need more cowbell as well. :p

3_large.jpg
Demo-2017.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Mary Barra is heavily committed to EVs, as half their engineering staff is working on it.
She is perhaps the only CEO of a car company with both an engineering degree and who actually worked on the shop floor. The MBA didn't hurt.

Misogyny is very common in the auto enthusiast boards, but it's normally reserved for posers; folks who know nothing about cars but pretend they do.

No disrespect intended for Mary Barra.
I am actually a HUGE fan.

Marginally informed opinion to follow. . .
Chapter 1
Mary's BS in EE (earned through GM !) may be the only chance "gm" has at survival . . . the MBA was likely a feather in her cap when the powers that be had the sense to name her CEO six years ago. (Personally, I would have weighted her experience on the line heavier than than the degree. Something in the back of my mind says "the union" will be proud to work harder with/for her. :))
At this point, she has a DEEP hole to dig out of . . . again, if the powers that be will (finally) go along.
Dating back to the early 70's, (and probably before) Thomas Murphy through Roger Smith, Robert Stemple, John Smith, and Rick Wagoner, and Daniel Akerson, GM so focused on GM's bottom line (and likely their own) that innovative engineering too often took a back seat. GM's financial difficulties were a direct result of perhaps myopic business practices that allowed so many opportunities to pass uncollected, squandered, (EV1?) or mocked. (I'm looking at you Bob Lutz)
Chapter 2
If you build it, they will come. ( I don't know cars, but I know what I like)
I hail from a long line of GM exclusive buyers back to the 1930's. My dad and granddad wouldn't THINK of buying elsewhere.
I likely bought my last GM product in 2001, (Oldsmobile Aurora - which I still own) but would like to keep an open mind. . .
When people need something to get themselves from point A to point B or haul XYZ, they will buy what is available, with even some brand loyalty.
However, build something compelling, and people will risk long lines and put up with company growing pains to voice their appreciation for innovation and a mission like sustainable transport vs bottom-line-ism. ( As a member of a union, did I mention the lack of a NEED for a union at Tesla?)
Chapter 3
I still say the commercial is cringeworthy, and applaud Norway (and perhaps Audi) for keeping it light hearted.:p

Kind regards

Last edited:

C'mon, I don't believe GM payed you. Is General Motors buying awards for Mary Barra?