Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Fund Me for EV Charging in SE NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a long day but we finally doubled the number of chargers in Roswell. Seemed like everything wanted to fight us for some reason. Took over an hour to get the first pedestal onto its base. The bolts kept sheering. Maybe the cold?

Sad that its almost 2023 and these are the only chargers in Roswell now. The ~6kW L2 that was at the local car stealership vanished from plugshare for some reason. Hopefully that supercharger Tesla teased in the online polls gets built and it wasn't just a joke...

McDonalds has been absolutely amazing. The regional manager was in the area and stopped by to thank us.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 10.40.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 10.41.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 10.42.10 AM.png

Last edited:
Some people have expressed interest in contributing equipment instead of going thru GFM. I came across this on eBay. Seems like a killer deal but I'm a bit tapped out right now after adding the 2 Clipper Creeks to Roswell. (2) Gen 2 HPWC and a pedestal for $800. These would most likely be installed in Carlsbad later next year.

Please PM me if you're interested.

Last edited:
Some people have expressed interest in contributing equipment instead of going thru GFM. I came across this on eBay. Seems like a killer deal but I'm a bit tapped out right now after adding the 2 Clipper Creeks to Roswell. (2) Gen 2 HPWC and a pedestal for $800. These would most likely be installed in Carlsbad later next year.

Please PM me if you're interested.

I got a response from the seller. When they posted 'Tesla Gen2 Wall connectors W/Duomount Pedestal(ClipperCreek PMD-10)' what they meant was 'Tesla Gen2 Wall connector W/Duomount Pedestal(ClipperCreek PMD-10)' Singular. Only 1. So never mind. Not such a killer deal.

I spoke to a donor interested in doing matching donations. I figured I'd post here to avoid cannibalizing Go Fund Me. He wants to match 1:1 any donations to the chargers with a donation to World Central Kitchen in support of Ukraine up to $300 (Cumulative not each donation). If you donate via Go Fund Me please leave a comment to match the donation. I'll post again when the limit is reached.

This article says that Curry County is in the process of installing chargers, but doesn’t say if they are DCFC. However the article does mention that Xcel is planning to install fast charging in SE NM by the 3rd-4th quarter this year. Time will tell..

This article says that Curry County is in the process of installing chargers, but doesn’t say if they are DCFC. However the article does mention that Xcel is planning to install fast charging in SE NM by the 3rd-4th quarter this year. Time will tell..

It's going to be interesting to see how this evolves. This was part of a rate case a while back. Xcel has been collecting a small fee from all rate payers in their NM service territory to fund these. IIRC one stipulation was that they're not 'supposed' to compete with other DCFC providers. For fairly obvious reasons that wouldn't be a fair fight. Xcel can offer DCFC for ~$0.20/kWh without losing a dime. Francis Energy is probably still losing money charging ~$0.80/kWh. But the competitive strategy is clearly failing so I think the best workable plan is to mostly treat DCFC the same way we treat street lights. My understanding is a community decides it needs streets lights, informs Xcel, Xcel pays for the installation and maintenance then charges the city a small monthly fee for each light. The interesting effect of this is that is should be possible to require Xcel to install DCFC in certain areas if the need can be justified to the PRC.

Nice workaround to The possibly impossible economics of DCFC

Reactions: ElectricIAC
@nwdiver do you know if anyone looking to install freewire chargers in NM. They seem perfect for rural areas.

The freeware charger is more for reducing demand charges than to compensate for lacking infrastructure. Ironically there may be more use cases in a highly urban area than a smallish city like Roswell. It was SUPER-easy to run power to the chargers we installed. Took Xcel ~30 minutes. If you're in an area where they can't just hang new power lines directly to your service connection there could be some install cost savings to the freewire. Or at least a little mitigation.