Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Fund Me for EV Charging in SE NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the end of today Roswell should be ~done. Just waiting on the inspection and Xcel. Total cost was ~$4300 not counting the HPWCs and stanchion donated by Tesla. But this is 2 HPWCs at a full 80A and a 14-50. If we get more equipment from Tesla we can easily add up to 4 more HPWC. Though obviously if you have 3 HPWC on an 80A circuit you're getting <27A.

I have approval from the host for a site in Artesia but I need donations to catch up a bit before I do that. Please donate. If you'd rather mail me a HD gift card or something else please PM me. Let's crowdsource this lack of charging in SE NM.

View attachment 522043

View attachment 522044

View attachment 522045

Thanks! Just added another small amount to the kitty.

• Love
Reactions: nwdiver
Got a call from the electrician. He spent the night in Roswell with friends and he's gonna finish and hopefully get the inspection today :)

Not that finishing sooner is really gonna matter that much since we're all gonna be on COVID lockdown soon :(

You mean that entering a cavern with few exits surrounded by a ton of plebes isn't a grand idea? Crap.

• Funny
Reactions: nwdiver
Inspection complete. Waiting on Xcel :)

Please spread the word and donate. I'd like to install another pair in Artesia.

Roswell HPWC.jpg

@nwdiver I will be watching this thread closely. Please keep us updated!

My youngest son and I took a road trip last year from Frisco, TX to Carlsbad (Caverns, Guadalupe Mountains, El Paso, Guadalupe Mts. a second time, Carlsbad, Roswell, Ruidoso, Alamogordo, Las Cruces, White Sands, and home through Cloudcroft) last year in my truck and it was amazing!

We're really looking forward to having some better charging options the next time we do a trip in that area (this time in the X).

Reactions: Zaxxon
Currently sitting in my car fully charged at Santa Rosa supercharger googling how to properly get to Midland Texas.

Quite shocked at the total lack of options in west Texas / East New Mexico. Thank you for standing up and taking action. I’ll certainly make a donation as well.

Super windy, a bit cold, worried I won’t make it quite all the way to Midland SC (LR RWD Model 3). Anyone have any tips for this route? I know I can detour through Lubbock, but may just send it. #Chill mode eww

Thank you

Reactions: SageBrush
@nwdiver any update on the progress? Basically I'm wondering if the McDonals'd sites in Roswell and Artesia are now live. If they're not live, do you have an updated ETA for when you think they will be? Appreciate all you're doing to service the SE NM area!

Also, I know this may be somewhat sensitive, but if they're not live where do you think you need to be on the GoFundMe amount to get them there? Thanks!

@nwdiver any update on the progress? Basically I'm wondering if the McDonals'd sites in Roswell and Artesia are now live. If they're not live, do you have an updated ETA for when you think they will be? Appreciate all you're doing to service the SE NM area!

Also, I know this may be somewhat sensitive, but if they're not live where do you think you need to be on the GoFundMe amount to get them there? Thanks!

Roswell is complete and we're waiting on Xcel. Should be literally any day. Last I heard it was supposed to be 'end of April'. Sucks... I was really hoping to have it live by Earth Day.

Artesia is going to be trickier. The total cost for Roswell was $4500 for the installation but keep in mind that's for a separate 200A service so it can be easily expanded in the future. If I can find a host that doesn't require a separate service that would make Artesia A LOT cheaper. I've asked ~every business in that town and McDonalds was the only one that seemed enthusiastic or willing :( So for the next site I need a better host location or another ~$2k raised to at least cover most of the cost of Roswell. I also haven't heard back from Tesla with regards to more equipment.

I have some 14-50s I'm willing to donate to a hotel. I think that will be my next plan once the pestilence subsides a bit. Try to talk to some of the hotels in Carlsbad and see if I can find one that wants a 14-50 installed.

Currently sitting in my car fully charged at Santa Rosa supercharger googling how to properly get to Midland Texas.

Quite shocked at the total lack of options in west Texas / East New Mexico. Thank you for standing up and taking action. I’ll certainly make a donation as well.

Super windy, a bit cold, worried I won’t make it quite all the way to Midland SC (LR RWD Model 3). Anyone have any tips for this route? I know I can detour through Lubbock, but may just send it. #Chill mode eww

Thank you

Did you make it? I usually charging in Tatum. There's a free RV park there that's very quiet but BYO-Everything. Last time I was there the restroom were lock and the next closest is a gas station ~1/4 mile away.

Last edited:

Thank you
Probably not the answer you want to hear, but I would just go through Amarillo. Adds about an hour to your trip, but it's super comfy both in terms of range, charging (all superchargers!), and roads. Also, you won't have to charge to full anywhere, which adds a lot of time to your trip anyways.

Reactions: Baszil
Thanks for your replies! After doing a bit more research on alternate options, I couldn’t find any guaranteed options. Didn’t want to detour from the route and then fail to find charging.

I decided to just go for it. It was the most horrible drive of my life. No joke lol. BUT I MADE IT! Haha!

Left Santa Rosa at 100% and arrived in Midland with 7% battery. Just me driving w/ no passengers. About 250 lbs of luggage. Avg speed was probably 55 mph. 208 Wh/m over 312 miles. About 7 hours total drive time. Chill mode on (first time I’ve ever used it) Kept my AC off or turned very low to conserve power. Didn’t make any stops at all other than some construction stops that had me at a stand still for 15-20 minutes each. The last 2 miles I cranked the AC to the max. It was soooo hot.

Here I am in a Tesla driving through oil fields for hundreds of miles, oil workers in big trucks passing me, I’m going well under the speed limit in the 75 zones. Luckily there were very few other vehicles on this endless road. And many of them weren’t even going 75 either, roads aren’t best quality. Probably looked like a crazy person though lol.

Not uncommon for me to make long cross country road trips. I usually do a bit of research on each leg of the trip but I was in a rush to hit the road on this last minute trip. I did bring my mobile charging equipment with several adapters just in case. I’ll definitely be going an alternate way home to Utah!

Sorry for long post. My first “real” range anxiety moment since I bought my 3 in late 2018. PTSD kicking in! Deep breaths :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies! After doing a bit more research on alternate options, I couldn’t find any guaranteed options. Didn’t want to detour from the route and then fail to find charging.

I decided to just go for it. It was the most horrible drive of my life. No joke lol. BUT I MADE IT! Haha!

Left Santa Rosa at 100% and arrived in Midland with 7% battery. Just me driving w/ no passengers. About 250 lbs of luggage. Avg speed was probably 55 mph. 208 Wh/m over 312 miles. About 7 hours total drive time. Chill mode on (first time I’ve ever used it) Kept my AC off or turned very low to conserve power. Didn’t make any stops at all other than some construction stops that had me at a stand still for 15-20 minutes each. The last 2 miles I cranked the AC to the max. It was soooo hot.

Here I am in a Tesla driving through oil fields for hundreds of miles, oil workers in big trucks passing me, I’m going well under the speed limit in the 75 zones. Luckily there were very few other vehicles on this endless road. And many of them weren’t even going 75 either, roads aren’t best quality. Probably looked like a crazy person though lol.

Not uncommon for me to make long cross country road trips. I usually do a bit of research on each leg of the trip but I was in a rush to hit the road on this last minute trip. I did bring my mobile charging equipment with several adapters just in case. I’ll definitely be going an alternate way home to Utah!

Sorry for long post. My first “real” range anxiety moment since I bought my 3 in late 2018. PTSD kicking in! Deep breaths :)
7% isn't range anxiety!

Sounds like you did a pretty good job overall. Keep in mind you benefited greatly from losing elevation, and you might have benefited from a tail wind. Had this been in the other direction, you probably wouldn't have made it, or at least wouldn't have made it driving the same speed.

Might not be easy on those non-interstate roads, but I wonder if you could have drafted any semis. I found that drafting at 65mph used less energy than driving 55mph without drafting. And driving faster feels enormously better on one of those legs lol.

I looked at every option on plugshare. There are several options, most of which I would have had to detour off my route to find out if they are valid or not. Most were really bad options, like inside a Nissan / Porsche / other car dealerships, not open to public. Couple private home charger options that haven’t been updated / no check ins for years. Rv park with only 2 electric spaces. Best Buy in Lubbock with a couple 6kw spots that are known for getting ICEd that would have taken me an hour of charging just to recoup the detour if I could charge at all. A few ccs / chademo options (I don’t have chademo adapter).

I was alerted after my drive, that the city hall building in Andrews TX that has a couple NEMA 14-50 spots that are free to use. First come first serve. This would have been a good option as it was along my route and would have been an easy go or no go.

I’ll be much more prepared next time I’m sure.