Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GoFundMe to Dyno the AWD (non-Performance)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@TomC - If the manufacturers are testing at the crankshaft of the engine, any idea how much power (HP) is lost by the time it reaches the tires? This appears to be another potential deceptive factor when comparing ICE vs EV.

Do you know what they use to test power at the crankshaft of the engine? Is there an actual lab that all vehicles test on the same machine? Or do the manufacturers test themselves and just follow standardized procedures? Very interesting.

Great link. Dumb question... With EV's does BHP = WHP, since the motors go directly to wheel?

If I read the article right, the Audi S4 (AWD) 2018 states to have 354 BHP (Brake Horse Power), but with a 25% power hit from AWD, would actually have around 265 WHP (Wheel Horse Power).

If EV's BHP=WHP, then you'd only need a motor of 265HP to equal power.

*Four-wheel drive cars lose between 20-25 percent of their quoted bhp figure because of the increased friction.

Drivetrain losses are drastically reduced in Tesla's vehicles, though the gearbox still has a reduction gear set, a differential, and lubricating oil. So there are still losses there, but they're nowhere near what a normal car's transmission, driveshaft(s), differentials, and axles would have. Electric motors made cars so much better in so many ways.

Edit: Just looked at the link above. Honestly, check out some of the engineering explained videos about engines, transmissions, and drivelines. He does a pretty good job of explaining things easily, and he does a decent job of using relevant examples. He also does some interesting breakdowns of EVs and their advantages/disadvantages compared to ICE and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.

So, is it correct to say that Dyno is measuring the wheel horse power?

So if we put that 2018 Audi S4 with a stated 354 BHP on a Dyno, then we should get approx 265 WHP reading (assuming it is done correctly)?

The Model 3 RWD was Dyno’d and showed to have 340 hp. Then 340 whp would be equivalent to about 453 brake horse power on an ICE (assuming a 25% loss in efficiency)?

So, is it correct to say that Dyno is measuring the wheel horse power?

Yes.

So if we put that 2018 Audi S4 with a stated 354 BHP on a Dyno, then we should get approx 265 WHP reading (assuming it is done correctly)?

Maybe.

The Model 3 RWD was Dyno’d and showed to have 340 hp. Then 340 whp would be equivalent to about 453 brake horse power on an ICE (assuming a 25% loss in efficiency)?

That's a heck of an assumption to make, but maybe. This is why drag strip times are so much better at capturing the effective performance of a vehicle, and why VBOX data or high resolution telemetry capture is better still.

Reactions: BrokerDon
@ScottFrancis , any update on the scheduling if it fits mine? My Thursdays and Fridays are generally open for very early afternoons, dyno after 12 PM and need to leave Richmond area before 3 PM to head back up north. Just not this week due to Thanksgiving. Nov 29 & 30 (Thurs & Fri), are looking good so far. Dec 3 (Mon) is decent. I'd prefer a Thursday.

If you want, I can post on Reddit to ask if anybody in Richmond area wants to participate for more exposure to request a local Performance vehicle for better scheduling. If you're still keeping this Wed 5 PM appointment, let me know so that it goes into the Reddit post.

@ScottFrancis , any update on the scheduling if it fits mine? My Thursdays and Fridays are generally open for very early afternoons, dyno after 12 PM and need to leave Richmond area before 3 PM to head back up north. Just not this week due to Thanksgiving. Nov 29 & 30 (Thurs & Fri), are looking good so far. Dec 3 (Mon) is decent. I'd prefer a Thursday.

If you want, I can post on Reddit to ask if anybody in Richmond area wants to participate for more exposure to request a local Performance vehicle for better scheduling. If you're still keeping this Wed 5 PM appointment, let me know so that it goes into the Reddit post.

Sure Reddit would be fine for additional exposure. I'll check with the shop today for other appt times and get back to you. I'll DM you my contact info as well.

Reactions: hoang51
All,

Dyno run is rescheduled for 11/30 @ 1pm. @hoang51 has agreed to travel and run his Performance AWD so we can get a same day comparison to my AWD. It looks like total cost will be about $160 for the 2 cars, if you want to help that would be great, but I'll cover whatever difference there may be. Looking forward to the comparison and results.

We expect to start the run as close to 90% SOC as possible.