Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going from 20" Uberturbines to 19's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 M3P and I actually really love the wheels. The thing is, around San Diego the roads are absolute crap. I feel like I have to drive super careful all the time at the risk of blowing out my tires with the 20" Uberturbine stock wheels.

I hit an unavoidable lane-wide deep road repair on Miramar Road (which is one of the worst roads for potholes) in early April. It caused an immediate pinch flat in the front passenger-side tire. I was impressed with Tesla mobile service... they came out and replaced the rubber within about 2 hours and no wheel damage. The only issue was it cost nearly $500 and ruined our day.

I don't want to keep repeating this, because I know it will absolutely happen again.

I'm thinking that replacing them with 19" wheels and having more rubber will be the wise choice long-term. Or is that not enough... and 18" is a wiser choice?

Has anyone else done this? Which wheels did you go with that have a similar look, or maybe not a similar look but rather something that went well with the performance model? I am against any other Tesla wheel (I just don't like their look) so I'm going to have to turn to the after-market.

TIA for your input/advice/suggestions/etc!

Reactions: f308gt4
If you want a smoother ride, and you are keeping suspension components and all else stock, downsizing to 19s is definitely the way to go. You could go with 18s, but at that point, I do not personally think the car will look good unless you lower, it and get an aggressive offset and tire setup. To me it sounds like you do not want to mess with the car too much.

I would suggest you check out TSportline. If you want a 19" option that looks like the stock Uberturbines, you might want to check these out: TSV 19" Tesla Model 3 Wheel (Set of 4)
They do have some other options.

Reactions: chrisduke
@chrisduke I love the look of the Uberturbine wheels too but we downsized for the same reason - can't put up with cracked or bent wheels or pinch flats just from driving where I normally drive. We already learned that lesson with the 21s our Model S came with. Don't want to deal with a cracked wheel again.

I went to 245/45R18 on 18x8.5" wheels and everything is functionally better, thanks to both the size change and also better tires. Ride, grip, wheel protection, power steering feel, and of course tire pricing are all improved.

I literally couldn't tell any loss of steering response either. Now I was still on completely stock suspension when I made the wheel+tire switch, and I chose tires reported to have sturdy sidewalls with good steering response (Bridgestone Potenza Sport). The stock slow steering response and turn-in delay was still there, it just didn't get any worse that I could tell, any change there was lost in the noise so to speak.

(If you were to use a tire with softer sidewalls I'm sure you could detect some turn-in change. Also if you have an upgraded suspension e.g. coilovers and bushing upgrades, probably you can make out much more subtle tire response changes than can be felt when stock.)

I think a 19" setup like 245/40R19 on 19x8.5" would be totally fine for most people too, based on using 245/40 on a previous car. However all the benefits of 19" are even greater with 18", the only downside of 18" is appearance, I will admit I think 19" generally looks the best on these cars.

I went 18" for best pricing and function, and because we regularly drive on surface-of-the-moon s*** disguised as paved roads, plus gravel driveways and dirt roads too (which are often smoother than the worst paved roads!). Now with Redwood Performance Sport Öhlins DFV coilovers, Redwood pillowball top hats, and MPP FLCA spherical bearings I'm still super happy with the 18" setup. Great combo of ride and handling, both better than stock. Probably I could now make out more subtle tire responsiveness changes though!

Btw I was sad to take off the Uberturbines, I think they uniquely suit the car and almost look like they're a concept car wheel. I really do like the look. (On this car. I don't think they would suit most cars out there.)

However I can see the Uberturbines anytime I want since there's a twin M3P to ours in the neighborhood just 3 blocks away, still rocking them. :)

One last point: A perfectly good set of $1k 18x8.5" flow formed wheels pays for itself after 2-3 sets of tires. E.g. spot-checking my current tires in 245/35R20 vs 245/45R18 they're $412 per set cheaper in 18" from my preferred tire shop. And some places charge extra for mounting low profile tires.

19" will have a much longer payoff due to tires and wheels both being more expensive but can also pay for itself eventually, if you keep the car long enough.

(I'll admit I went for $2k forged wheels instead of cast / flow formed, so my payoff period will be 5 sets of tires and that's quite a while, but you don't need forged wheels, I just wanted them.)

If you want a smoother ride, and you are keeping suspension components and all else stock, downsizing to 19s is definitely the way to go. You could go with 18s, but at that point, I do not personally think the car will look good unless you lower, it and get an aggressive offset and tire setup. To me it sounds like you do not want to mess with the car too much.

I would suggest you check out TSportline. If you want a 19" option that looks like the stock Uberturbines, you might want to check these out: TSV 19" Tesla Model 3 Wheel (Set of 4)
They do have some other options.
Thank you! I have seen those before and they're probably by go-to unless I can find something I like better. You're right, I love the look of the car so 18s probably will ruin it for me.

One last point: A perfectly good set of $1k 18x8.5" flow formed wheels pays for itself after 2-3 sets of tires. E.g. spot-checking my current tires in 245/35R20 vs 245/45R18 they're $412 per set cheaper in 18" from my preferred tire shop. And some places charge extra for mounting low profile tires.

19" will have a much longer payoff due to tires and wheels both being more expensive but can also pay for itself eventually, if you keep the car long enough.

(I'll admit I went for $2k forged wheels instead of cast / flow formed, so my payoff period will be 5 sets of tires and that's quite a while, but you don't need forged wheels, I just wanted them.)
WOW! Thank you for unloading all your thoughts and experiences... I greatly appreciate your insight. A set of the TSV 19" wheels that look like the Uber's isn't bad at $2k. I know the cost of the tires will be more than going with 18s but it will be worth it to try and maintain the similar look. I've been so busy lately I haven't had time to shop around but right now the TSV wheels are my go-to. I'm not going to pull the plug until I see what else is out there, and get some tires lined up for them as well!

Reactions: tm1v2
If I don't like the 20's I might get something like these 19s

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the TSportline TS5 (black) in 19's with the Michelins. These TS5's are knockoffs of the Tesla Zero-G wheels I wanted but Tesla's are also available only in 20".

The Uberturbine TSV knockoffs don't look that great to me in 19" form... too much rubber for that wheel IMHO. The only video I could find with the TSV's in 19" is this one, and yeah... I still would have to see it in person. Also the TSV version has an extra spoke (12 instead of 11). Maybe that's throwing me off.

Since I decided to downsize, and the Zero-G are the wheels I previously set my mind on, I think that's the right choice for me. It's hard to tell whether or not the TSVs (19" Uberturbines) will look good or not in person.

Last edited:
I pulled the plug on the satin black 19" TS5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Performance Summer tires, jack pucks, touch up paint, and the Tesla M3 factory center cap set + wheel lug nut cover set (it looks sick).

I also like this setup because everything on the outside of my M3P is black or blue. Nothing is that Uberturbine gunmetal color. I removed the T logos on the trunk and hood the day I got it, and soon thereafter got the blacked out dual motor emblem. I think these are going to fit the car real nice! Can't wait.

I pulled the plug on the satin black 19" TS5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Performance Summer tires, jack pucks, touch up paint, and the Tesla M3 factory center cap set + wheel lug nut cover set (it looks sick).

I also like this setup because everything on the outside of my M3P is black or blue. Nothing is that Uberturbine gunmetal color. I removed the T logos on the trunk and hood the day I got it, and soon thereafter got the blacked out dual motor emblem. I think these are going to fit the car real nice! Can't wait.
I got the staggered setup in 20's for whenever my M3P is mine.

Here they sit
20220515_113922.jpg

S3XY! They arrive tomorrow and I can't wait to get them on. You have the front license plate wrap as well! I have one but won't put it on until I'm forced to do so LOL.

Did you get the satin gray or black TS5's? Hard to tell from the pic.

I got the black. With the Hankook evo3 tires (Ive had good experience with Hankooks in some of my other cars).

Ive seen some people put the license plate wrap on a piece of PPF, so that it’s easier to remove. I wish I had known that before putting it on my car.

6588211F-6C33-4D8B-88E7-E4287CAC45CB.jpeg

Ive seen some people put the license plate wrap on a piece of PPF, so that it’s easier to remove. I wish I had known that before putting it on my car.
Brilliant! I'll plan on this for when the time comes.

I'm loving those wheels... I always liked the idea of putting on Tesla's Zero-G wheels but not the cost and the size. This is perfect. I also ordered the black lug covers and Tesla caps. Looks clean!!

I got the black. With the Hankook evo3 tires (Ive had good experience with Hankooks in some of my other cars).

Follow-up questions for ya...

I know they come with TPMS sensors already... so when I get them, they're pretty much good to go? I just put them on and my car knows how to find them based on wheel position?

Also, did you have to change the wheel/tire size at all in settings for the car? If so, what did you change it to?

I know they come with TPMS sensors already... so when I get them, they're pretty much good to go? I just put them on and my car knows how to find them based on wheel position?

Also, did you have to change the wheel/tire size at all in settings for the car? If so, what did you change it to?
My car is the 2020 so I believe the sensors are different. Nonetheless, the car should find them. Mine took a while, but I read somewhere that if you deflate the tires abit and then re-inflate it should help. I did that, and then the system found the new tires within a mile or so. I’m not sure if you need to do that with the sensors on the newer cars. I think you just mount them and go.

I picked the setting for the stock 19” sport wheels, since they are the same size.

I have a '21 as well, and ordered the 18" TS5's with TPMS. After I put the new wheels/tires on, I just drove down my street, and the car picked up the TPMS.

I have these same 19" TS5 wheels with my winter tires on them. If you go into the car's settings under one of the menus (Service maybe?) you can select the Zero G wheels to change the car's picture to match your new wheels. This results in a reboot to update the car's odometer / speedometer. As long as your tire outside diameter is within spec (TSportline already took care of that) you're good.
I did buy some black spline drive lugs to use with the wheels rather than the plastic covers. Just a personal preference and a tiny bit of extra security.

Last edited: