Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" or 20" - which ones handle better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to buy the forged lightweight Unplugged UP-03 for my 2021 M3P and am starting to wonder which of the two sizes, all else being equal, will give me the better, quicker, more agile handling? (I'd like to stickjwith 235s, and also I am aware and used to the rougher ride with 20" from my Uberturbines, so ride quality is not an issue). Are there any handling advantages of 19s or is it just improved ride quality because of more rubber between road and wheel?

Last edited:
In general, the smaller the wheel the better, gyroscopic forces, tire selection, and all. 99% chance you won't even be able to tell the difference anyway.

But between this post and your other one, I'll ask, what are you wanting to do with the car?

Last edited:
Thanks for asking a clarifying question.
From a forged wheel I want:

1. less unsprung weight
2. less propensity for wheel bends
3. same or better handling
4. no reduction in range (hence same wheel/tire size as stock)

Ride quality is not an issue. I would be concerned if thicker sidewalls (bigger aspect ratio) reduce road contact, especially when cornering

Last edited:
For all of your wants, I'd go to a 18" wheel. Specifically, the Fast Wheels EV01+. It looks like the oem SR/LR wheel covers. You'll get (close to) the efficiency of the LR model, so increased range.
The big killer of range on the P is the 20" wheels and tires.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
It seems a bit wasteful to me to spend $4-5k on a set of forged wheels to put OEM-sized street tires back on them.

I’d definitely go 19 or even 18, if for nothing else because you dont need the 2000lb load rating to survive the occasional pothole, and can therefore get away with many of the <$1500/set wheel options out there that are more that suitable for street use.