Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to rent a Model 3 before delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really a good analogy. Most of the awkwardness of a new car is just getting used to where buttons (or lack thereof!) are. It's still a car with pedals and a steering wheel, after all. And it's not like going from a Mini Cooper to a 4x4 Ford dually F350. A mid-size four door sedan drives and handles like any other, unless you're expecting some kind of extraordinary performance or track-like handling.

If it checks all the boxes from a functional standpoint and you like the features and design, what exactly can go wrong? You can't determine the functionality and interior design of a house from the sidewalk, a car is different.

Fair point about the house analogy. However, if someone I knew was contemplating buying their first EV and they were going to spend $40,000+ on it, I would absolutely encourage them to test drive it before they just buy it. There is a lot that is different (for starters; no instrument cluster, no gears, no noise, lack of physical buttons, dependance on a single screen for almost all functions?). Call me crazy.

EV aside, I still don't understand people who can buy cars without driving them. I knew exactly what I was getting when I bought my A7, I still test drove it. Why would I not when the option is there? Go on, I'll wait. On the contrary, I can give you a lot of reasons that you should.

Edit: More power to you if you can do what I can't or don't understand though. I don't think any less of you, I just don't understand the logic.

Last edited:
Fair point about the house analogy. However, if someone I knew was contemplating buying their first EV and they were going to spend $40,000+ on it, I would absolutely encourage them to test drive it before they just buy it. There is a lot that is different (for starters; no instrument cluster, no gears, no noise, lack of physical buttons, dependance on a single screen for almost all functions?). Call me crazy.

EV aside, I still don't understand people who can buy cars without driving them. I knew exactly what I was getting when I bought my A7, I still test drove it. Why would I not when the option is there? Go on, I'll wait. On the contrary, I can give you a lot of reasons that you should.

Edit: More power to you if you can do what I can't or don't understand though. I don't think any less of you, I just don't understand the logic.
Agreed, it's probably recommended.

However, it really just depends on your personality. I consider myself educated, adaptable, and ready for technology. Others are more traditional, resistive to change, and just have a natural tendency for slower adoption to new tech.

The "logic" of not needing a testing drive: If you've researched ahead of time, and the car checks every single functional and stylistic box, there's often no point in the test drive. Assuming your personality as I described above isn't tech-adverse.

For example, my friend's wife wanted an EV. I recommended a Model Y. She test drove that, and then the Audi e-tron. She ultimately chose the Audi, as she said it was closer in layout and functionality to a traditional car. Which was the right decision for her! Me, I was ready to slingshot into the future, so test driving another EV wasn't really on my radar.

I've bought 3 or 4 brand new cars (and new-generations, at that) with no test drive. My confidence level was high, and it worked out well. Recently, I was thinking of a Model S. But I had my reservations about the size/handling. So I went ahead and test drove one. Sure enough, it felt 'too big' for my preference, so I bought (another) Model 3 Performance, instead.

Why exactly not!?!?
Seams pretty irresponsible, if this is your "most expensive vehicle".

During a test drive, of course.
Why would you NOT go on a test drive, if they are still widely available !?!?!?

Test drove Model S - did NOT like it. Test drove it second time - liked it even less. Hard pass.
Test drove Model 3 - better. Far from perfect, but OK. Picked one up soon afterwards.

You looked at Turo, but not at free test drive at a Tesla Service center?
Really?
View attachment 906836

I would have agreed with this post maybe 10-15 years ago, but now with all the online information out there and tons of video reviews, there is really not that of a high risk buying a new car without test driving it. Also tons of Vehicle X vs Vehicle Y reviews if you are in between two or more vehicles. Very in-depth reviews are available. I also liked the Tesla video tutorials, made me quite comfortable and once I got into the car on delivery day I already knew 90% of all the settings and did not need to ask anything to the delivery person about how to drive the car.

I would have agreed with this post maybe 10-15 years ago, but now with all the online information out there and tons of video reviews, there is really not that of a high risk buying a new car without test driving it.

You trust everything you hear and read online?
There are a few people in this world whose feedback on car's performance and ergonomics I actually value, and none of them are online.

How does some joker's opinion (biased or truthful) about vehicle X or Y correlate to how:
  • Your back feels in the car's seat?
  • Your body fits into the overall space, and your knees bang into something, or not?
  • You, or your teenage kids fit into the back seat?
  • Subjective harshness vs. responsiveness of the suspension?
  • Subjective noise levels inside the cabin at varying speeds?
  • Subjective ease and comfort of interacting with a significantly new UI interface?
Not test driving a car is just being lazy.
Not performing due diligence on a purchase someone claims as "most expensive" is flat-out irresponsible.

But, to each his own.

a

Reactions: danarcha
You trust everything you hear and read online?
There are a few people in this world whose feedback on car's performance and ergonomics I actually value, and none of them are online.

How does some joker's opinion (biased or truthful) about vehicle X or Y correlate to how:
  • Your back feels in the car's seat?
  • Your body fits into the overall space, and your knees bang into something, or not?
  • You, or your teenage kids fit into the back seat?
  • Subjective harshness vs. responsiveness of the suspension?
  • Subjective noise levels inside the cabin at varying speeds?
  • Subjective ease and comfort of interacting with a significantly new UI interface?
Not test driving a car is just being lazy.
Not performing due diligence on a purchase someone claims as "most expensive" is flat-out irresponsible.

But, to each his own.

a
Each of those things take getting used to, in any new car. If you’re used to driving a 2002 Camry, a 2023 BMW 5-series will feel uncomfortably stiff and awkward to sit in.

Now if you truly can’t make an objective decision about if a 5-series or E-class is a better fit without spending time in both, then sure a test drive will provide benefits.

The first time I signed up online for a test drive the reps called me back within 15 minutes all eager to get me to come down. That was for a model S which I knew I couldn't afford. When the M3 came out I scheduled another test drive, and this time they called back in 5 minutes, knowing that I'd already done one test drive. My then 23 year old daughter also scheduled a test drive. They are very eager to get you to drive one, at least in Brooklyn. I don't know how far the OP is from the showroom, but just give them a call. They'll let you test drive whatever car you want.