Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to rent a Model 3 before delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our delivery date is fast approaching (2-18) and this is the most expensive vehicle plus the first vehicle we never drove first. I have never drove a Tesla. Yes I watched a million videos, and see plenty on the road but I have this fear that I will hate it. I went on Turo and they have a few M3 near me for about 100.00. I can't see disliking it so much we do not pick it up. Anyone else in the same boat.

My story is similar to yours, my Tesla is the most expensive vehicle I’ve bought and I also never did actually test drive one. The first time I ever drove one was driving it off the lot.

The only thing I did was stopped by a Tesla store to at least sit in one, had to see how weird that big screen in the center was gonna be ya know.

I’ve had it for about a year now and it has exceeded my expectations, you’re gonna love it.

Reactions: akidesir
Uhh... I have to be honest, this doesn't seem like a good decision at all. Why would you buy a vehicle (forget about it being the most expensive) without test driving it first? You're aware that you can test drive a Tesla right?

I feel like this is almost the equivalent of buying a house after looking at it from the sidewalk. There is absolutely no reason to do this.

Reactions: afadeev
Our delivery date is fast approaching (2-18) and this is the most expensive vehicle plus the first vehicle we never drove first. I have never drove a Tesla. Yes I watched a million videos, and see plenty on the road but I have this fear that I will hate it. I went on Turo and they have a few M3 near me for about 100.00. I can't see disliking it so much we do not pick it up. Anyone else in the same boat.
Read the manual. Really. Yes, it's a different car, but at least read up on the basics of the controls.

Then, when you get delivery, drive it in a quiet location .. pretend you are learning to drive again. it's not that extreme, of course, and in fact its an incredibly easy car to drive, but as you note, its big $$$ and you want to protect your investment. DONT try to play with the fancy AP/TACC features until you are used to the basics. And dont worry you will love driving it:)

Reactions: kx2top
@sdexcalibur Back in early 2018 there were no Tesla sales centers where you could test drive a Model 3, so I went with Turo at about $200/day:

I would suggest you try to rent one (Turo, Hertz, Budget, etc.) and see what your $$$$ gets you.

My story is similar to yours, my Tesla is the most expensive vehicle I’ve bought and I also never did actually test drive one. The first time I ever drove one was driving it off the lot.

This was my experience. I'd never been in one (or even near one) until I got in mine to sign the paperwork and drive away. Also the most expensive vehicle I've ever owned, and drove 7 hours to pick it up.

My recommendation - save your money and just wait until delivery day. It'll be a fun present that you definitely won't regret.

Prior to my Turo rental, I had a chance to drive a Model S. Tesla came around to a town next to me (Los Gatos, CA) and had an S and an X to test drive for about 30 minutes. I opted for the S since it was closer (in my mind) to the upcoming Model 3 that I had my eye on. That was my first Tesla experience and it only confirmed my choice to order a 3.

My service center was very accommodating. I did 3 separate test drives over a few weeks. First I did local driving. The next one was highway driving and the third, a drive to my daughter's house to show her a Tesla. After that drive I ordered my car.

Uhh... I have to be honest, this doesn't seem like a good decision at all. Why would you buy a vehicle (forget about it being the most expensive) without test driving it first? You're aware that you can test drive a Tesla right?

I feel like this is almost the equivalent of buying a house after looking at it from the sidewalk. There is absolutely no reason to do this.
It kind of snow balled from the 250.00 deposit order, to I can just cancel, I don't know if I really want it, to now the delivery day. I did click on schedule a test drive and they only had certain date. Work is crazy right now and it was hard to make it. Plus my thoughts is how can all these other people be driving around in one if they totally blow.

I started by watching numerous videos, reading through the forums, and reading the manual (twice). Then I scheduled a test drive of both a M3LR and a MYLR, both the same day to see which I liked, or if it was going to be too strange for me. The guy who supported the test drive offered me the chance to keep it overnight. Not sure if that's normal, but I was already sold. Within a week after delivery, I couldn't imagine going back. Its a great car, but not the best match for everyone, so I would definitely take a test drive (free), see if they will let you keep it overnight, and if you think you need more time, then that is the time to rent one IMHO.

I tried several times to test drive one at our 'local' delivery center, but they never had any to test drive. So I Turo'd a Model 3 SR+ and an AWD for a day. That was a really valuable data point. I realized that while the AWD was great fun to drive, the SR+ (I bought the RWD) was 90% as fun and a lot less costs. I also liked the LFP battery in the RWD so that is the car I bought. But I'm not surprised that so many Tesla buyers have never driven the car. Tesla sells their test vehicles each quarter and at least locally it is hard to get a test drive.

Not really a good analogy. Most of the awkwardness of a new car is just getting used to where buttons (or lack thereof!) are. It's still a car with pedals and a steering wheel, after all. And it's not like going from a Mini Cooper to a 4x4 Ford dually F350. A mid-size four door sedan drives and handles like any other, unless you're expecting some kind of extraordinary performance or track-like handling.

If it checks all the boxes from a functional standpoint and you like the features and design, what exactly can go wrong? You can't determine the functionality and interior design of a house from the sidewalk, a car is different.

One thing to note is if you rent form Hertz you won't get the car added to the Tesla app, you have to use the key card. One of the great things about owning a Tesla is the app, which can be used for pre-heating/cooling the car,
opening the trunk remotely and being able to use the phone as the key. If you rent through Turo the owner can give you app access. Just make sure you have it all set up and logged in to your account beforehand.

Was in the same situation, most expensive car I bought without test driving but I was 99.99% sure that I was going to like it when I took delivery. Watched about n YouTube videos (as n goes to infinity) to learn all controls. :)

It turned out to be true, enjoyed the car from the very first moment, almost 12 months now, can't believe it.

Our delivery date is fast approaching (2-18) and this is the most expensive vehicle plus the first vehicle we never drove first. I have never drove a Tesla.

Why exactly not!?!?
Seams pretty irresponsible, if this is your "most expensive vehicle".

It would be an interesting poll, when was the first time you drove a Tesla? Or did you test drive before buying?

During a test drive, of course.
Why would you NOT go on a test drive, if they are still widely available !?!?!?

Test drove Model S - did NOT like it. Test drove it second time - liked it even less. Hard pass.
Test drove Model 3 - better. Far from perfect, but OK. Picked one up soon afterwards.

I have this fear that I will hate it. I went on Turo and they have a few M3 near me for about 100.00. I can't see disliking it so much we do not pick it up. Anyone else in the same boat.

You looked at Turo, but not at free test drive at a Tesla Service center?
Really?
1676329308559.jpeg

Reactions: akidesir