Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good choice? Konig Ampiform and POTENZA RE71R

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking about getting these for autocraoss and HPDE/TT only. Keeping the std 20" Wheels and Michelin 235/35 r20 for daily driving.
KONIG ULTRAFORM
19 X9 5-114.30

BRIDGESTONE
POTENZA RE71R
265 /35 R19 98W XL BSW

I also like the
FALKEN
AZENIS RT660
265 /35 R19 98W XL BSW

I have this on order: (only the pads abd swabar will be here for the tire, all other suspension parts are back ordered)
Carbotech Brake Pads - Tesla Model 3 WITH Performance Brake Package - Front XP20
Carbotech Brake Pads - Tesla Model 3 WITH Performance Brake Package - Rear RP2
MPP Arastradero Model 3/Y Rear Camber Arms
MPP Corkscrew Model 3/Y Front Upper Control Arms
MPP Model 3 Sports Coilovers AWD/Performance
and the UP Swaybars

You advices count

"Thanks" :)

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
I decided and ordered:
Staggered:
2 x VERTINI RFS1.9 GB 5X114.3 19X8.5 +30
2 x VERTINI RFS1.9 GB 5x114.3 19X9.5 +35
2 x 245/40/19 HANKOOK K120 EVO 2
2 x 275/35/19 HANKOOK K-120 EVO 2

I love the Vertinis, and they're really a great value in a forged wheel. I got VS14 with 9.5x20 265/30 PS4s in front and 10.5x20 275/30 in the rear. Somewhat surprisingly, no terminal oversteer with this setup. The front tire is not Tesla specific, and there is a little bit of a range hit with this combination even compared to the stock Michelin Pilot Sport 4S combination which is not exactly electron sipping itself. But the cornering with the MPP Sport coilover kit set even modestly stiff is unbelievable. Will be putting the MPP front bushing assembly in sometime next week.

20200930_171202.jpg

A little late to this thread, but I would have recommended a square setup for AutoX/HPDE's. The car has a wee bit of understeer even with a square setup, that will only be exacerbated with a staggered setup. The RE-71R and Hankook evo2's are very different tires. For AutoX/HPDE the RE-71R would have been the better option. I would have considered the Hankook R-S4; it has a little less grip but would outlast the RE-71R. I'm afraid the evo2 will probably get fairly beat up quickly.

As far as wheels are concerned, it's really just cosmetic preference. A 9.5" wheel is a good option to fit 255's through 275's on to. You can choose an ET of 25 to 40, though the 40 would need a 5mm spacer in the front with Performance rotors (thin hat).

Otherwise, I think your list looks good. I'm honestly not sure how much value the sway bars add though, you could save some money either skipping those for now or looking into Eibach.

I decided and ordered:
Staggered:
2 x VERTINI RFS1.9 GB 5X114.3 19X8.5 +30
2 x VERTINI RFS1.9 GB 5x114.3 19X9.5 +35
2 x 245/40/19 HANKOOK K120 EVO 2
2 x 275/35/19 HANKOOK K-120 EVO 2

Apologies - I didn't realize that you were talking about a potential track setup. MasterC17 is right on, on all points. That setup looks great, but will have a lot of terminal understeer.

A little late to this thread, but I would have recommended a square setup for AutoX/HPDE's. The car has a wee bit of understeer even with a square setup, that will only be exacerbated with a staggered setup. The RE-71R and Hankook evo2's are very different tires. For AutoX/HPDE the RE-71R would have been the better option. I would have considered the Hankook R-S4; it has a little less grip but would outlast the RE-71R. I'm afraid the evo2 will probably get fairly beat up quickly.

As far as wheels are concerned, it's really just cosmetic preference. A 9.5" wheel is a good option to fit 255's through 275's on to. You can choose an ET of 25 to 40, though the 40 would need a 5mm spacer in the front with Performance rotors (thin hat).

Otherwise, I think your list looks good. I'm honestly not sure how much value the sway bars add though, you could save some money either skipping those for now or looking into Eibach.

MasterC17, what are your thoughts on a 19x9.5 ET25 with a 265 Tire. Its on a performance with a BBK so rotor hat is thicker Hat than the OEM rotors. I have a friend who is running Ampliform 19x9.5 ET25 with a 255 with no issues. I like the look of the +25 since its flush but Im not a fan of any stretch on a tire to make it tuck under the fender. I would much rather go +35 with a 265 tire if a +25 with 265 tire will rub. i also want something that i can track.

I really wish manufacturers wouldn't use the term rotary forged or flow forged. This is unethical to me because they prey on the impressionable consumer. The disk is still cast. All they are doing is forming the inner barrel under pressure. It does have beneficial properties but honestly is a biproduct of reducing mold/manufacturing costs. That's the real catalyst for manufacturers imo. I've always been a huge supporter of Enkei's M.A.T. designation for flow forming. They implement other processes after the forming the barrel like shot peening and heat treatments. I've been involved with them for over 20 years strictly importing their Japanese manufactured flow form wheels. I can confidently say not all flow formed wheels are the same.

ROTARYFLOW FORGED – Vertini Wheels is not the same as Wheels – VS Forged, nor are the price points.

MasterC17, what are your thoughts on a 19x9.5 ET25 with a 265 Tire. Its on a performance with a BBK so rotor hat is thicker Hat than the OEM rotors. I have a friend who is running Ampliform 19x9.5 ET25 with a 255 with no issues. I like the look of the +25 since its flush but Im not a fan of any stretch on a tire to make it tuck under the fender. I would much rather go +35 with a 265 tire if a +25 with 265 tire will rub. i also want something that i can track.

Do you know what kind of alignment settings you're running? Which BBK do you have? Make sure you share that drawing with your wheel company to validate clearances.

Honestly, i don't know what alignment settings im/was running.

until a few days ago i was running MPP Comfort Coilovers and just took it to an alignment shop and they got it as close to stock specs as they could. I was running MPP Camber and toe arm so the rears were within spec, and the fronts were close.

I just sold the comfort coilovers to go with sports to prep the car to do track days. I would rather not have an alignment shop "make it fit". If it would be better to run a more conservative setup that sacrifices looks, then thats what i would want to go with. But if a +25 with 265 tires, will work with a proper alignment, then that is what i would want.

Oh, and i have Rotora Super challenge BBK's on the front and rear. I did send the drawings to Konig and they confirmed that the brakes would fit behind the +35 and +25 Ampliforms and Dekagrams (profile A where applicable) Thanks for that heads up tho.

I am a noob when it comes to proper track setups so please correct me if i have it all wrong... im here to learn!

Ok, so it sounds like you are running close to stock camber up front. I would recommend considering front camber arms. The money you spend on the arms will save the cost of tire replacement in the long run. With stock-ish camber and a thicker rotor hat ET25 will give you a bit of the "4x4 look". I don't think it would rub, but it would be really tight. With additional front end negative camber it would fit no problem and look good. I would stick to ET35 if you don't want to do the camber arms.

I really wish manufacturers wouldn't use the term rotary forged or flow forged. This is unethical to me because they prey on the impressionable consumer. The disk is still cast. All they are doing is forming the inner barrel under pressure. It does have beneficial properties but honestly is a biproduct of reducing mold/manufacturing costs. That's the real catalyst for manufacturers imo. I've always been a huge supporter of Enkei's M.A.T. designation for flow forming. They implement other processes after the forming the barrel like shot peening and heat treatments. I've been involved with them for over 20 years strictly importing their Japanese manufactured flow form wheels. I can confidently say not all flow formed wheels are the same.

ROTARYFLOW FORGED – Vertini Wheels is not the same as Wheels – VS Forged, nor are the price points.
I 100% agree. It’s a marketing tactic to trick the consumer to buy a cast wheels made thinner at the barrel even though the face and outer lip where all the impacts takes place is still cast.

Thanks MasterC17, always good and appreciated advices.

Here's the way things will work for me... As far as I can see there's only one TT that I can go to and it's on Oct 31st ( 2 days ). Not all my ordered parts will be here or installed on time for that so I tried to push vendors to commit and rush... :)The most important thing to me is to get camber in front and rear and a good alligment, (similar to my MX-5 ND with 4 x 17x245s ) at first: -2.5 degrees of camber at least front, around 2 rear, toe in front = .10 (total), toe out back .10 total. The MPP FUCA will be here and the rear parts also (got lucky that they had a set that the blue anodisation was not good so they painted them black and I agreed to buy them and the front will ship directly from the machine shop not anodised... I don't like blue anywayu :) ). Coilovers won't be here but most say that the stock setup should be fine for now.
Sway bars saved the show on other cars so I'll put them on and see how that goes.
As far as staggered paws goes, I think that MasterC17 might have a point, I probably did not read enough before ordering, but hell, I can order 2 of the same 9.5" wheels and 4 Hankook R-S4 265s when the K120 EVO 2 wear out.

I'm not in it to go to nationals :) Just trying to have fun with good equipment... This is so fun!

Reactions: MasterC17
Thanks MasterC17, always good and appreciated advices.

Here's the way things will work for me... As far as I can see there's only one TT that I can go to and it's on Oct 31st ( 2 days ). Not all my ordered parts will be here or installed on time for that so I tried to push vendors to commit and rush... :)The most important thing to me is to get camber in front and rear and a good alligment, (similar to my MX-5 ND with 4 x 17x245s ) at first: -2.5 degrees of camber at least front, around 2 rear, toe in front = .10 (total), toe out back .10 total. The MPP FUCA will be here and the rear parts also (got lucky that they had a set that the blue anodisation was not good so they painted them black and I agreed to buy them and the front will ship directly from the machine shop not anodised... I don't like blue anywayu :) ). Coilovers won't be here but most say that the stock setup should be fine for now.
Sway bars saved the show on other cars so I'll put them on and see how that goes.
As far as staggered paws goes, I think that MasterC17 might have a point, I probably did not read enough before ordering, but hell, I can order 2 of the same 9.5" wheels and 4 Hankook R-S4 265s when the K120 EVO 2 wear out.

I'm not in it to go to nationals :) Just trying to have fun with good equipment... This is so fun!

Sounds like a good plan! Which TT event are you attending?