Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good Review of Model S on Engadget

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
really? i thought he was an annoying, condescending hipster. and like all hipsters, since he didn't discover it, he tries oh-so-hard to play it cool and appear unimpressed.

Motor Trend, Automobile, WSJ... practically everyone gushes over the P85, but this guy says it's "not at the level of BMW and Mercedes" yet due to some stupid interior features.

he actually says acceleration is "4.4 seconds, which is pretty healthy... for a 4500lb sedan". uh NO, it's "pretty healthy" for a 2,500lb sports car. this car's (3.9 second actually) acceleration is almost miraculous.

god i hate hipsters...

sPSpm24681.jpg

...Motor Trend, Automobile, WSJ... practically everyone gushes over the P85, but this guy says it's "not at the level of BMW and Mercedes" yet due to some stupid interior features.

he actually says acceleration is "4.4 seconds, which is pretty healthy... for a 4500lb sedan". uh NO, it's "pretty healthy" for a 2,500lb sports car. this car's (3.9 second actually) acceleration is almost miraculous.

god i hate hipsters...

3.9 seconds for the Model S ?? Which model?? Ultra-perf-edition? The P85 according to Tesla is 4.4 seconds just as the author states, while the "regular" 85 is 5.6
Both of which are impressive figures for a car that size though.

And about his "not at the level of BMW and Mercedes". He's absolutely right, the Model S is by no means at the level of BMW, Merc, Audi, Lexus and the like!
It is better when it comes to the driving experience and the nominal (not the usable) cargo volume. But on any other level it is still no match for other premium sedans.

It's not a bad review, but it's not a good one either. Cars should be reviewed by people that know cars, not gadgets.

It sounded like he listened to other reviews (about low center of gravity) about the car stuff, and then did a review. Anyone can do a review, some are better than others. I would have preferred engadget to delve more into the gadgetry in the car, rather than try to make it a regular car review, reviewing the materials etc.

3.9 seconds for the Model S ?? Which model?? Ultra-perf-edition?

Tesla's specs are incredibly conservative. 3.9 is what the P85 has been clocked at repeatedly on a track. No modifications, just the stock vehicle. I'd rather compare real world numbers, not manufacturer's claims. More impressive still would be 5-60 numbers which are untouchable in the price range. My non-perf 85 is much more responsive in real-world driving conditions than my Boxster S ... where the specs claim it should be otherwise.

And about his "not at the level of BMW and Mercedes". He's absolutely right, the Model S is by no means at the level of BMW, Merc, Audi, Lexus and the like!

He is ... and he isn't. If you measure the Model S using somebody else's creature comforts list then it's definitely lacking. Then again, if you measured the BMW/Lexus/etc. against the Model S feature set - you'd notice they're also lacking. It's a different design point and I happen to dramatically prefer it to our Lexus.

I 'jumped' to the Model S from my wife's 2002 lexus LS430
The S is sooomuch nicer in my opinion. I get in the Lexus now and it feel antique to me. I liked it a lot over the past couple of years and the seats are comfy but that is about it has over the S now.(and rear seat heaters - doesn't matter to me though)

3.9 is fuun everytime!
I didn't like the guys review either but removed my negative post before posting it for once ;>
no mention about the space in the car, it is useful

3.9 seconds for the Model S ?? Which model?? Ultra-perf-edition? The P85 according to Tesla is 4.4 seconds just as the author states, while the "regular" 85 is 5.6
Both of which are impressive figures for a car that size though.

Stock P85 verified via multiple sources @ 0-60 in 3.9 sec:
http://www.dragtimes.com/blog/tesla-model-s-performance-sets-world-record-for-the-quickest-production-electric-car

The 85 non-perf has also been clocked at 5.0 sec. Tesla's advertised times are about a half second slow for production cars.

I thought it was a solid review. The model S is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

The author is perfectly in his right to utilize the Tesla published performance numbers. Nothing wrong with that.

And yes, when compared directly with the high end European sedans the car is lacking the new finagled gadgets like lane departure control, heads up displays, adaptive cruise control, blind spot control etc.

Now, I personally think that's a plus. I despise most of those electronic nannies because I think they make you a less alert driver and unnecessarily make the car more complicated and weighed down with electronics.

But I don't think there is anything wrong with that review.

Someone might want to tip off the author...

Only under very hard acceleration do you get just a bit of whine from the transmission, which honestly we wouldn't have minded hearing more of on this Performance model.

If he heard something from the 'transmission' then he was driving the wrong test vehicle.