Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodyear Tire Video - Do Foam-Filled Tires Really Make EVs Quieter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jimt29

2020 Tesla Model Y LR AWD, MSM/Black
Aug 13, 2015
Warwick, RI
I just watch this video about the Goodyear foam filled tires and it seems to be a good choice as a replacement tire for the model Y:

I'm thinking there are forum members that are more knowledgeable than I am and would like to hear any opinions about these tires.

I did a search and came up with this from Goodyear: Goodyear Eagle® Sport All-Season SoundComfort Technology® priced at $235.00.

"...more knowledgeable..."???? Not sure about that.

What I DO know is they aren't "foam FILLED tires.". There's simply a band of acoustical foam, glued behind the entire tread area. The tires are filled with AIR!

The title of the article is wrong. HAHA!

Last edited:
Reactions: Clark_Kent
Having spent more hours than I care to admit trying to evaluate NVH items. I believe the foam lining does indeed make a difference. One of the better comparisons I read is to the sound a basketball makes when bounced. You can hear a sort of hollow ringing sound on the bounce. The foam seams to attenuate similar ringing/resonance on various road surfaces. Some road surfaces are bad like grooved concrete. Others, like the chip asphalt mentioned in the video, are really bad. Folks who never drive on those types of roads tend to declare their cars are quiet (lucky you!). Those of us who do (me, here in Texas...especially as you travel in the state) know it can be pretty bad. Every little bit helps.
Unfortunately, Tesla's NVH handling ability is still pretty immature (or is being sacrificed on the alter of cost savings) as compared to, well, just about everybody else! Their EV drive train and tech is so solid, they get a bit of a "pass" on this, but hoping they focus more on this in their next generation of vehicles.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
The factory 20” induction wheels come with Goodyear tires that have the band of foam. However, the Goodyear’s rode terrible for me. They crash over bumps and make the steering feel “jittery” IMO. I swapped for a set of Michelin PS4S and the ride quality is substantially better. I haven’t really noticed them being much louder. Michelin does make a PS4S that has the foam but I was unable to source them on my tight timeline (wanted new wheels installed before I had the car wrapped in XPEL stealth).

FWIW, Michelin All Season 4 or PS4S ride much better than the OEM Pirelli P Zero 4. As far as noise level, all the tires were roughly the same. The acoustic foam seems to change the tone, not the loudness so it’s more pleasing. In my experience, there maybe a 1-2db drop with acoustic foam, but the Apple Watch is not sensitive enough or road testing is too inconsistent. I also measured in multiple Uber comfort vehicles (Lexus, Toyota, Acura) and the MY was comparable or on the lower noise side.

New Goodyear high performance EV replacement tire coming for 2022. The new tire will first be offered in size 255/45R-19, load index and speed rating of 104Y XL. The price will be $265 per tire. (This is the OE tire spec for the Tesla Model Y fitted with 19" Gemini wheels.)

Goodyear debuts high performance electric car replacement tire
Nice hopefully available early 2022 as i might need tired by then, at 18k now already

Reactions: kindofblue