Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodyear Touring - only 16k??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I subjected my OEM Goodyear foam lined tires to essentially everything from the 'don't do' list. I left them underinflated for quite some time (all the way down to low 30s). I drive spiritedly or under AP, whose braking is more aggressive than required. I first rotated the tires at - hold your breath - ~27K miles. I still got 32K miles out of them. It would have gotten me >40K but the rears were worn much more than the fronts - had I rotated more often, the wear would have been more uniform and gotten me more miles. In my defence, we had a newborn at home, and keeping track of the tire was amongst the low priority items. I now have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ . I just picked it because it was on sale at Costco. They're wearing down about as well as the Goodyears did. I tentatively plan to get Pirelli Cinturatos next time. Or maybe go back to Goodyear Eagle Tesla foam edition.

I had my local Discount Tire order a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires, and they were installed today. With a 70k warranty, I'm honestly expecting to get more than the 21k of tread life I got on my OEM Goodyear Touring tires.

I'll report back after I get a few more weeks on them, but initially I can report that the P7s are as quiet, if not quieter, than the Goodyear OEMs (which had foam lining), and very smooth riding. Quietness was a big reason I chose the P7 over the Michelin Primacy MXM4 as a replacement LRR all-season tire, as too many people complained that the MXM4 as being overly noisy.

My MS came with the Goodyear Touring tires (the new ones with the foam inside). I'm now at 16k and it is time for new tires. I've been really happy with these tires but not happy about only 16k (especially after hearing that the Michelins are getting 30+!!

Anyone else with the Tourings also getting low miles on them? I'm thinking of going with the Michelins this time around...
I'm on third set of Michelins. 30k from first two sets. Not impressed with what I've heard on Goodyears.

After having gotten 53K from the previous car's OEM Michelins, today am at 19K with 4/32"-5/32" all around with these new Goodyear Eagle Touring tires.

That means that it will take THREE SETS of OEM GETs to equal ONE SET of OEM Michelins.

Not a value add. Hope Tesla's additional profit was worth it, presuming they profit more from these tires than the Michelins.

Fortunately, Amazon will ship 4 OEM Michelins to the Tesla SvC for $879 including tax and Tesla presumably will mount and balance them for $120. That's about the quoted cost for a set of GETs, which will not darken my chariot's door(s) again.

Not thrilled about replacing tires less than 6 months in, especially with the clear benefit of having the Michelins beforehand, which lasted THREE TIMES LONGER.

At least both sets wore/are wearing evenly.

Reactions: dragoljub
I've got a June/July 2016 facelift 70 and my Touring tires are currently a little over 32,000 miles. Fronts are fine but rears are low enough that I'm spending the day tire shopping.

I'm not sure if the Touring ones at Sam's Club have foam or not, the pictures on the site looks visually the same as mine, and they're currently $139/ea with an $80 discount if you buy four. I haven't found them that cheap anywhere else; that puts them at or below RS-A2 pricing. I ordered a set and am having them installed next week; I can report back on how they feel/sound versus the car's stock tires.

Followup on the above -- Sams Club can't install the tires on my vehicle, they do not have the appropriate equipment to lift the car and none of the other local ones do either. I was refunded for my order, but I'm still pretty irritated about it and have written to their member services department as the only reason I bought a membership was for the tires, and now all the Labor Day sales are over as well. :(

Have any of you guys ever got a tread life warranty claim done for this Goodyear Eagle Touring tires? I went to Discount tire to get my tires rotated, and they couldn't find a Tread life warranty for this tire.

As with the first OEM Goodyears, there is no tread life warranty for the GETs.

A disappointment to experience such a dropoff from the OEM Michelins (53K miles and could have easily gotten 55K if not 58K) to the GETs, which were at 4/32" after just 19K miles. Sneaky way to increase TCO.

I have a set of CINTURATO P7's on my P85. The factory set of tires on my car only lasted 15k miles. I've had the P7's since then and I have 50k on the car now and the tread still looks good on them. They get good grip on dry roads but I loose traction when accelerating on wet roads and this is the only real difference I've noticed. I would get them again.

A follow up report from my recent install of Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires after previously running on the OEM Goodyear Eagle Touring tires. The P7 were $200 bucks each from my local Discount Tire, and I chose them over the Tesla OEM LRR all-season tires for a couple of reasons:

• OEM Goodyear Eagle Touring LRR tires performed well and were quiet, but only lasted my 21k miles, even with a UTQG 500 (which should last over 50k miles)
• OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 LRR tires are warrantied for 55k miles with a UTQG 500, but read too many complaints about noise

The Pirelli Cinturato P7 have a UTQG 700, and so I anticipate getting more than 50k miles. I am finding them as quiet as my previous OEM Goodyear Eagle Touring tires, even though they have no foam liner (which I was always suspect of). The other nice perk with the P7 tires, is that they look a little more sporty with the way the tread runs onto the shoulder. Makes the wheels look a little more aggressive and gives the perception of a slightly lower profile.

Thumbs up.

These Good Year Eagle Touring ties is only good and pray not to have nail in it. Because they are hard to fix and only solution is to get replaced. I have a new tire with 300 miles and nail was on the surface of tire which it should be easily fixed with other brand. I was told because it is a form material and could not be fixed and has be replaced. no warranty!
Luckily the lady from Tesla gave me one time GOOD WILL and did not charge me $276!
Any one know which one will be a good alternative one?

Attachments

• flat_tire.pdf
    277.2 KB · Views: 52
These Good Year Eagle Touring ties is only good and pray not to have nail in it. Because they are hard to fix and only solution is to get replaced. I have a new tire with 300 miles and nail was on the surface of tire which it should be easily fixed with other brand. I was told because it is a form material and could not be fixed and has be replaced. no warranty!
Luckily the lady from Tesla gave me one time GOOD WILL and did not charge me $276!
Before I replaced mine for the P7s, I was able to get my Goodyear Touring patched. All they had to do at my local Discount Tire, is move the foam out of the way. They didn't even have to detach where the foam was glued to the inside of the tire, as it was adhered only in two spots.

Replaced my Goodyear Touring OEM tires with a new set of Goodyear Touring 98Ws today. To my ear I don't hear much of a difference, and any difference the lack of foam makes will be offset by the stereo anyway. No tread life guarantee but if they last as long as the previous set I'll be happy enough.

24k miles on my Goodyears and they look like they could go another 24k. Haven't rotated them yet.

I got a nail in one of mine with a leak. My Tesla service center patched it for $50. There's a PDF out there with the procedure (involves cutting away a square of foam with a knife, not too difficult).