TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Got backed into :(

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jhall118, Nov 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jhall118

Jhall118 Member

My poor P85D (named ElonsD) got backed into today across the side. Looks like damage to both doors and the rear quarter panel.

Anyone have a guess for repair time and price? I am guessing 15k repair cost (for fun). Can I insist on a Tesla rental? ;)

This is in Seattle. Looks to be most cosmetic damage. The break is squeaking.

Stupid Subaru Forester didn't even have a dent in it :(

Attached Files:

2. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

Sorry to hear it. Other driver's insurance will pay etc?

3. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Sorry to see your poor MS in this condition and this is exactly the issue with aluminum body panels. They are less forgiving and cost a $hit ton more to repair. :(

A few months ago, my daughter's BMW 328i got hit between the front and rear doors on the passenger side. The total repair bill was $7K so if I had to guess, I would double it for the MS. State Farm immediately authorized the repair and we had the vehicle back in about 3 weeks. A few days ago, we received a check from the at fault's Insurance company reimbursing me for the deductible that we paid at the time of repair.

4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

My guess is $33k and 3+ months. As far as a rental you can try, but I doubt they will go for it.

But do claim diminished value...

5. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

6. Wuggado?

Wuggado? Member

Sorry to hear it. I had the same thing back in July. For me, it was in the shop for 3 weeks after the parts arrived. Lucky for me the shop was in the same town as the Tesla factory, so arrival time on the parts was under a week.

MP3Mike's estimate seems to match up with the experience that some others have had, so I hope your experience will be closer to mine than theirs.

7. Jhall118

Jhall118 Member

I can't imagine being without my car for 3 months. That is insane, and not in my P85D way.

I've done the DV song and dance before in small claims, but I use the car for Uber/Turo income to help pay for it. Looks like I had better search for an attorney :(

8. Jhall118

Jhall118 Member

Yes, his insurance has already reached out and we are going through the process. He was clearly at fault, got it on dashcam, witnesses, etc.

9. mhan00

mhan00 Member

Jesus, I can't imagine how much his heart sank when he realized the car he hit was a Tesla. Visions of his insurance premiums shooting up must have flashed before his eyes.

10. Jhall118

Jhall118 Member

Really hoping he didn't skimp on property damage coverage.