Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Got my 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The factory has QC, just bad QC, or their acceptable levels of defects are high. There is a level of alignment that they allow right now as the SC let me know that on one of my visits. Took ours in due to bigger door gaps on passenger side and was told its fine and within acceptable measured limits (have to look up amount stated on ticket again). The X is just a not perfect design so don't expect it to be perfect, like a mass produced Mercedes for example in most cases is...

Well I dont know if I should say i feel better when i hear someone else has this issue lol, but hey all the misalignment just goes away when you drive the car so until I get a response from Tesla ill enjoy it.

I even did a video so you can see all the options it has.

Reactions: Mike M
What did they do to fix the chrome trims? Replace them?
Not even that much work. They just reset the chrome strip.....the back door chrome which was riding higher than the front door chrome. Pulled it off and pushed it back on firmer to lower its position. Literally minutes. All cases won't be the same but from looking at his pictures, much of the chrome misalign looks like mine did.....off just enough to irk you, but minor in the bigger picture. Be real, nothing out there is perfect except for your beautiful baby and you are driving yourself crazy expecting it. Gorgeous car but like all our personal cosmetic flaws, we notice them more than anyone else. ;)

Reactions: bushburner
Obviously the factory has no QC. It is clear they are depending on the SC to clean up the mess and make the final adjustments before delivery. I guess those with good SC shops are getting much better cars. My X had no issues and everything was perfectly aligned when I took delivery. My SC was awesome! However when they start rolling off mass quantities of the Model 3 the public will not tolerate that kind of nonsense from the factory and the SC shops will be overwhelmed. This will create a stigma that Teslas are junk and then bye bye Tesla motors. This happened with AMC back in the 80's. it will happen again if Telsa doesn't take action..

Exactly... the worry is when they start cranking out 400,000+ Model 3s and Tesla's are no longer a novelty. Or when Porsche, Mercedes, and BMW make all electric vehicles and put their quality in those cars. Tesla will become an Energy/Solar Panel company.

I looked at the photos but I only see one misalignment. The rest seem fine.

Sorry if I'm missing it. My car has a slight FWD misalignment, but I'd rather not touch it because the door operates perfectly right now.

Sometimes trying to make it 100% can create other problems.

Attachments

• IMG_0820.JPG
    IMG_0820.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 62
@HumbertoR I have some similar issues as you. FWD's misaligned (though appears not quite as bad as yours) and the same exact driver side rear chrome bezel is misaligned, identical to yours. (and a fussy charge port door that doesn't like to close all the way). SC is supposed to correct next week. Otherwise, I feel lucky that everything else is good.

It is really bizarre though that we have the exact same bezel issue. I how many others are also having that same problem.

I feel like to some extent, they are pushing out as many vehicles as possible and figure most people just don't check these things (and I think they are right most people don't). We have a '15 Ford CMax Energi which has some terrible fit and finish issues in the interior, huge trim gaps, after our '14 was virtually flawless.

Its amazing there aren't more issues with more vehicles being such a young company, still, they do need to continue to improve the QC significantly on such a high dollar car. Though I would note, I still wouldn't trade my X for another vehicle.

I looked at the photos but I only see one misalignment. The rest seem fine.

Sorry if I'm missing it. My car has a slight FWD misalignment, but I'd rather not touch it because the door operates perfectly right now.

Sometimes trying to make it 100% can create other problems.
I see the issues @rainforest because I have many of the same ones, particularly the driver side rear chrome bezel sticking out about an 1/8 of an inch instead of being smooth and the FWD alignment problems. The hood gaps are pretty obvious too when you check the right and left side (thankfully I don't have those issues).