Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my Model S - 2 days early. Story and pics!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I live in North Phoenix - not very far from the temporary SC. I had a scheduled delivery date for my blue/black S85 of Saturday 9/28. Figured since I was in the neighborhood and my car was certainly there already that I'd drop in to just take a peak at her. Found one of the valets and told him my VIN and color and he said "oh, yeah, I know right where that is". Asked if I could look at it and he hesitated since it was apparently not his call. He walked me into the office to meet Chris and his response was "sure".

They walked me back into a hangar where a private jet was being stored and where 3 Teslas (including mine) were lined up getting hand washed - I liked the imagery with the jet wing extending essentially over my car. They figured there was about an hour left in the detail job and asked if I wanted to take delivery today. Um, YES. About 11:30 they called me to say the car would be delivered at 12:30. At 12:20 the driver called me. At about 12:45 my wife yelled out "he's here!!'.

My neighbor and her 3 year old son came out to watch the show.

The good:
  • got it early! thanks Chris!!
  • car was delivered to my specifications; all options are as they were supposed to be
  • in the sunlight the blue stands out and is gorgeous. in the shade the car looks black. I like the color shifting
  • the car is incredible - had 4 different people drive it today and every one had the Tesla Grin...even my wife who is very 'meh" about cars in general thinks this car is "fun, amazing, incredible, etc." She particularly likes how it sounds like a jet when I punch it
  • battery came charged at 245 miles of range so I could do a lot of driving, right away
  • I got the charger to work right away so outlet install and cable from Tesla all did their jobs. I charged at 30 miles/hr so that's terrific (for me).
  • did I mention the car is incredible?

The issues:
  • front passenger door doesn't close at the same level of force as other 3 doors. It needs a harder push
  • rear passenger seatbelt doesn't retract very easily. it takes some doing to get it in. that's where my kid's booster seat is so I need that looked at
  • charger seems to take a couple tries to connect to the charge port. Not always, but 2 out of the 4 times I've tried to connect
  • the biggest issue: the battery cover on the under side of the car scraped against something at some point. it clearly happened while the car was going in reverse given the angle at which the cover crumpled up. i didn't notice it at delivery, but it couldn't have happened going into my driveway as I have roughly 4" of clearance when I back in. Not sure what to do about that

The pics:

onflatbed.jpg
comingdown.jpg
pfrontquarter.jpg
frontquarter.jpg
front.jpg
drearquarter.jpg
interior.jpg

Love the blue in the sun!!!

Some thoughts on your issues:
-I experience the same issue with the front passenger door, and I've heard it from many other owners... I think this is as designed, not sure the cause, but it seems to be common. We could call it a design defect perhaps? I don't think it is a specific vehicle defect.
-Bummer on rear passenger seatbelt. All the recent deliveries I've seen have the new redesigned seat belt slot at the C-pillar. You can tell it is the new design as there is no silver bar in the new design, and I thought all those seat belts pulled out like butter.
-On the charger, I would recommend a firmer insertion... It may feel like some resistance, but that will smooth out with use. If the charge handle doesn't go all the way in, and is a few mm short, it has difficulty connecting (for safety reasons I assume).
-Bummer on the battery cover, I'm hopeful it is just a cosmetic piece and will be a quick fix.

Have fun with your new Model S and it sounds like you are already experiencing the new attention and grins the car causes!

Love the blue in the sun!!!

Some thoughts on your issues:
-I experience the same issue with the front passenger door, and I've heard it from many other owners... I think this is as designed, not sure the cause, but it seems to be common. We could call it a design defect perhaps? I don't think it is a specific vehicle defect.
-Bummer on rear passenger seatbelt. All the recent deliveries I've seen have the new redesigned seat belt slot at the C-pillar. You can tell it is the new design as there is no silver bar in the new design, and I thought all those seat belts pulled out like butter.
-On the charger, I would recommend a firmer insertion... It may feel like some resistance, but that will smooth out with use. If the charge handle doesn't go all the way in, and is a few mm short, it has difficulty connecting (for safety reasons I assume).
-Bummer on the battery cover, I'm hopeful it is just a cosmetic piece and will be a quick fix.

Have fun with your new Model S and it sounds like you are already experiencing the new attention and grins the car causes!

On firmness with charger. I'm realizing that now. I've been hesitant to force much as I don't want to bend/break anything. Used the J1772 adapter here at work this AM and had to really pull to get it out of the port. Just don't want to hurt something out of ignorance.

On the battery cover it *looks* cosmetic, but I don't know if that little bit of cover on the edge is vital or not. I'll have the guys at the SC take a look when they are looking at door and seatbelt.

NONE of this is stopping me from enjoying the heck out of this car.