Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my new plates 😂

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you guys think? My new plates on my ‘22 Plaid

IMG_1475.jpeg

sadly, the beloved Illinois has no option for EV vanity or personalized plates - i have so many ideas, and am getting a seconod tesla in the next few weeks
Since January 2022 any license plate is allowed in Illinois. However there is an extra fee to make it the same price as an EV specific plate. "*For any electric vehicle that would like a Passenger license plate on their vehicle there will be an additional $100 surcharge to the registration

Since January 2022 any license plate is allowed in Illinois. However there is an extra fee to make it the same price as an EV specific plate. "*For any electric vehicle that would like a Passenger license plate on their vehicle there will be an additional $100 surcharge to the registration
hmm.. every time i try to get vanity, it says " this type of plate is not available for you vehicle" ( or something to that extent )

I'll try again today, I'd love to have my own plate on the new MYP ( hopefully coming soon - not a very patient person )

Reactions: saj070
confirmed - "unable to switch from your current plate type to the new plate type you selected"

I thought i read somewhere that ILL is not allowing EV to be registered with anything other than EV plates
I do see a bunch of teslas with personalized plates around tho - presumably registered before the recent license plate rule changes ?
Or - am i doing something wrong ?

Last edited:
confirmed - "unable to switch from your current plate type to the new plate type you selected"

I thought i read somewhere that ILL is not allowing EV to be registered with anything other than EV plates
I do see a bunch of teslas with personalized plates around tho - presumably registered before the recent license plate rule changes ?
Or - am i doing something wrong ?
I try to order a vanity plates in IL because i am under 90 days for renewal they said no

I have MS 2021 and using my plates from BMW so I did transfer my regular plates

Reactions: calikid