Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got screwed by Tesla's terrible customer service again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put down a down payment for an inventory Model 3 Performance last weekend was supposed to go pick it up yesterday. About 10 minutes before my appointment I receive a phone call saying they already accidentally sold it a couple days prior. The whole reason I was asked to put down my down payment was to avoid this exact scenario happening.

I say again because I bought a Model S in 2017 and the sales people were dropped the ball every step of the way. It amazes me that incompetence is still such a big issue after 3 years. (Not even gonna talk about the issues I had with early day Tesla service department) In fact it is even harder to complain as I can't find the name of the sales manager anywhere as they have all hidden behind the app.

Anyways just needed to vent ... owning a Tesla is like being in an abusive relationship... you get treated poorly but the S3X(Y) is good

that’s a bummer. I live in Portland and just bought my 3rd Tesla, a red inventory M3 that was in Seattle. Picked it up on Tuesday and it is perfect. From reading these boards it seems things are dealer/service center specific. As an aside, I test drove a Cayman, a TT, Mercedes SLC and they didn’t come close to the driving experience of the 3. Once you go EV you can’t go back

Apples and oranges. Once the F-150 is out of the Ford factory it is no longer Ford's problem, it is some dealership's problem. There are no dealerships involved with Tesla.

Which is exactly why Tesla must offer superior customer service to Ford. Hell, even service on par with Ford would be acceptable at this point in their growth but they haven't even proven capable enough to sustainably meet that admittedly broken model. They can't tell us how bad dealerships are, claim to have a better way and then poop the bed in terms of customer service support so that customers are left in the dark when they need service. This makes people like me (read: your average customer) who hate dealerships start to question if it isn't the better way based on my experience when I needed service.

That's not good and will not win any of the battles Tesla desperately wants to win to win the war on ICE vehicles. Their main goal is to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy transportation but this could be a speed bump on that path that will be difficult to recover from. Once a brand becomes tarnished it's difficult to change the minds of those who see it that way. If Tesla thinks it's bad when nobody thinks of them, knows who they are or takes them serious... imagine how that will play out when the name Tesla invokes pure negativity. No amount of marketing can erase that...oh, wait... Tesla doesn't believe in marketing. Good luck with all that!

This is a very important benchmark in car manufacturing/distribution/sales history and how we as consumers view this model moving forward. If Tesla screws this up (like they appear to be doing currently) it will be difficult to dethrone the manufacturer/dealership model again in the future when Tesla fails in this mission.

Which is exactly why Tesla must offer superior customer service to Ford. Hell, even service on par with Ford would be acceptable at this point in their growth but they haven't even proven capable enough to sustainably meet that admittedly broken model. They can't tell us how bad dealerships are, claim to have a better way and then poop the bed in terms of customer service support so that customers are left in the dark when they need service. This makes people like me (read: your average customer) who hate dealerships start to question if it isn't the better way based on my experience when I needed service.

That's not good and will not win any of the battles Tesla desperately wants to win to win the war on ICE vehicles. Their main goal is to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy transportation but this could be a speed bump on that path that will be difficult to recover from. Once a brand becomes tarnished it's difficult to change the minds of those who see it that way. If Tesla thinks it's bad when nobody thinks of them, knows who they are or takes them serious... imagine how that will play out when the name Tesla invokes pure negativity. No amount of marketing can erase that...oh, wait... Tesla doesn't believe in marketing. Good luck with all that!

This is a very important benchmark in car manufacturing/distribution/sales history and how we as consumers view this model moving forward. If Tesla screws this up (like they appear to be doing currently) it will be difficult to dethrone the manufacturer/dealership model again in the future when Tesla fails in this mission.

The thing is, after a week of ownership, the whole situation reverses. That pedal on the right basically makes all problems disappear, and I bought the car for Autopilot before everything else combined.

Do you honestly believe a Tesla owner is going to move to a Ford for their next vehicle? Nobody’s trading their 3 on a Focus EV. The Mach wont really change that.

For now, Tesla has zero competition.

Apples and oranges. Once the F-150 is out of the Ford factory it is no longer Ford's problem, it is some dealership's problem. There are no dealerships involved with Tesla.

And who pays the dealership for warranty work or sends engineers out for problems that dealership mechanics can’t solve? But, beside the point. Ford sells almost a million F-150s a year and their service network (regardless of who owns it) seems to handle it pretty well.

The thing is, after a week of ownership, the whole situation reverses. That pedal on the right basically makes all problems disappear, and I bought the car for Autopilot before everything else combined.

Do you honestly believe a Tesla owner is going to move to a Ford for their next vehicle? Nobody’s trading their 3 on a Focus EV. The Mach wont really change that.

That’s the point. Tesla doesn’t have a technologically equal competitor... yet. But, when they do (which is coming soon), you’ll find customers like me (and so many others) who have had crap experience with Tesla service and initial quality starting to cross shop. My next EV may very well not be a Tesla for those very reasons.

Reactions: InternetDude

Until the pedal on the right doesn't make the problem disappear as in the car is immobile due to needing service. You make it seem like every problem a Tesla can experience is just varying levels of dissatisfaction with paint quality and panel gap. For actual problems where your car is an expensive paperweight taking up space in the garage (or on the side of the road) when you need to drive it not being able to get resolution for weeks/months and not talk to a human being this is simply unacceptable.

As for owning a Ford... if Ford comes out with a decent competitor to the Tesla line-up... I'm gone. I hate Ford (Let me say that again in case you missed it: I HATE FORD) and I never thought I'd say I would leave Tesla for Ford but that's where I am. I can't tell you how enticing the idea of driving 10min to a Ford dealership to talk to a human or just call a local number to talk to a human who I know the name of and trust to help me when I need them has become. I didn't know how much I needed this until I didn't have it. I'd even sacrifice 10-20% of the car (since most "Tesla killers" come in at about 50% of the car so far) to get this level of service. This is from someone who has almost never needed customer service for a vehicle as I normally do all of my own work and rarely need the assistance of dealerships.

As for owning a Focus... you couldn't pay me the way they sit currently. But I wouldn't own a Model 3 either so I'm not the demo for that particular vehicle. In fact, Ford doesn't even build a car that I could see myself in regardless of it being EV or not since they quit making cars. I miss my Tacoma from time to time though as the mid-size pickup segment fits my needs the best. This monstrosity that Tesla is coming to market with in a couple of years doesn't fit my needs.

If Ford builds a Ranger Raptor as an EV...

9e9.gif

But we can agree that, as of today, Tesla has zero competition. This is the reason I still own them. Once there's some competition to Tesla though I'm gone. I love the cars but I hate the company. I'd trade a lukewarm affection of another car if the company supported it after the sale.

Until the pedal on the right doesn't make the problem disappear as in the car is immobile due to needing service. You make it seem like every problem a Tesla can experience is just varying levels of dissatisfaction with paint quality and panel gap. For actual problems where your car is an expensive paperweight taking up space in the garage (or on the side of the road) when you need to drive it not being able to get resolution for weeks/months and not talk to a human being this is simply unacceptable.

As for owning a Ford... if Ford comes out with a decent competitor to the Tesla line-up... I'm gone. I hate Ford (Let me say that again in case you missed it: I HATE FORD) and I never thought I'd say I would leave Tesla for Ford but that's where I am. I can't tell you how enticing the idea of driving 10min to a Ford dealership to talk to a human or just call a local number to talk to a human who I know the name of and trust to help me when I need them has become. I didn't know how much I needed this until I didn't have it. I'd even sacrifice 10-20% of the car (since most "Tesla killers" come in at about 50% of the car so far) to get this level of service. This is from someone who has almost never needed customer service for a vehicle as I normally do all of my own work and rarely need the assistance of dealerships.

As for owning a Focus... you couldn't pay me the way they sit currently. But I wouldn't own a Model 3 either so I'm not the demo for that particular vehicle. In fact, Ford doesn't even build a car that I could see myself in regardless of it being EV or not since they quit making cars. I miss my Tacoma from time to time though as the mid-size pickup segment fits my needs the best. This monstrosity that Tesla is coming to market with in a couple of years doesn't fit my needs.

If Ford builds a Ranger Raptor as an EV...

9e9.gif

But we can agree that, as of today, Tesla has zero competition. This is the reason I still own them. Once there's some competition to Tesla though I'm gone. I love the cars but I hate the company. I'd trade a lukewarm affection of another car if the company supported it after the sale.

Sounds like a Rivian R1T might be right up your alley :)

Sounds like a Rivian R1T might be right up your alley :)
I haven't ruled it out entirely but it's still not quite there. I'd rather not buy a full-size pickup is one such example that keeps me from going fully into that Rivian camp. I hope they along with every other manufacturer has loads of success with their EV offerings though as more competition always benefits the consumer.

Originally, I would have said I agreed, but a while ago (maybe a year or two?) basically the whole service team at our service center was fired. Things have been night and day different with helping clients since then. They're still hard to get ahold of, but they care deeply about my car(s) and are quick to respond.

I had a service appointment booked for 3 weeks from now. My MCU is definitely end of life. Part of that booking 3 weeks from now is for the retrofit. Called in today, first words out of their mouth "can you bring it in today?". And before I got home, I had a text telling me it was in the shop and would be next in line. I love my service team.

Even the sales team isn't bad. I feel like the mothership just screws everything up for them and they end up receiving my/our frustrations. Even for the original poster, One sales rep isn't responsible for a sold car being resold. It should be locked up in Tesla's inventory management system, but it wasn't.

Would you blame the fact that the guy never contacted me like he said he would a failure by the mother ship? Or the fact that he didnt even offer an apology?

" Hi JayyDee,(I substituted my user name)

I have gone ahead and refunded your deposit. "

No sorry for the mistake or anything like that

further more I am looking for a way to complain and I cant even find a phone number or email to contact.

I emailed [email protected]

I got this automated reply

"Thank you for contacting Tesla. This email address is no longer monitored.

Visit our Support Site to learn more about our products or services or to find answers to commonly asked questions. If you can’t find what you are looking for, contact us to ask a question. You will need to log into your Tesla Account to ask a question — this is so we know who we’re speaking to and can help you quicker."

clicking on the link takes you no where...

WORST EFFFING CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE INDUSTRY!!!!!!

I put down a down payment for an inventory Model 3 Performance last weekend was supposed to go pick it up yesterday. About 10 minutes before my appointment I receive a phone call saying they already accidentally sold it a couple days prior. The whole reason I was asked to put down my down payment was to avoid this exact scenario happening.

You should've used this line :)

• Funny
Reactions: Ostrichsak
For any business to provide great service, many things are required. Well trained people, money, a well-developed infrastructure...

...and one very important thing. The most important: The decision and commitment by management to actually DO IT.

Would you blame the fact that the guy never contacted me like he said he would a failure by the mother ship? Or the fact that he didnt even offer an apology?

" Hi JayyDee,(I substituted my user name)

I have gone ahead and refunded your deposit. "

No sorry for the mistake or anything like that

further more I am looking for a way to complain and I cant even find a phone number or email to contact.

I emailed [email protected]

I got this automated reply

"Thank you for contacting Tesla. This email address is no longer monitored.

Visit our Support Site to learn more about our products or services or to find answers to commonly asked questions. If you can’t find what you are looking for, contact us to ask a question. You will need to log into your Tesla Account to ask a question — this is so we know who we’re speaking to and can help you quicker."

clicking on the link takes you no where...

WORST EFFFING CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE INDUSTRY!!!!!!

I called the support team number. If you touch the T in the MCU it’ll show the number. It’s the wrong people, but they are extremely helpful. They can likely find you the person you want.

I haven't ruled it out entirely but it's still not quite there. I'd rather not buy a full-size pickup is one such example that keeps me from going fully into that Rivian camp. I hope they along with every other manufacturer has loads of success with their EV offerings though as more competition always benefits the consumer.

From what I understand, its more comparable to the mid-size pickups than full-size trucks according to this article: The all-electric Rivian R1T is a dream truck for adventurers

From what I understand, its more comparable to the mid-size pickups than full-size trucks according to this article: The all-electric Rivian R1T is a dream truck for adventurers
Having owned both full-size and mid-size pick-ups I can say that it's still too large for me personally. IMO, the newer mid-size trucks have even grown too large for my needs so something like the Rivian T1 at slightly larger is still too large. Even the Ranger I mentioned earlier is pushing the edge of what's "too big" for my needs and I'd have to give it some serious consideration. The new Tacoma, for instance, is damn near the same size as the first generation Tundra I had which is a full size truck. By today's standards that 2000 (I think) Tundra I had would fall right into the mid-size truck category. I can see the full-size pickups continually getting larger since most are used for work but the way the mid-size segment keeps getting larger and larger with each new generation is a bit off-putting for me.

Reactions: moridin2002