Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got the car today - almost smooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
update:
The service center will pick up the car tomorrow - I sent them list of problems (yes there are more...) - see below:

"Please see list of problems below (pictures are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/adMuXgPYjS0SZZ7B3):

1. Outside:
    1. Passenger side - the plastic panel that covers the camera is scratched (see picture)
    2. Driver side - door seal is not smooth (they tried to fix at delivery but it still doesn't look smooth and makes noise when driving fast (see picture)
    3. The car makes horrible noise - we are not sure if it's related to the AC - while the car is OFF - sometimes - (see video)
    4. Falcon door button rubber is not fitting the door - (see picture)
    5. Frame of right side falcon door has scratch/hit (see picture)
    6. Rain is coming in (on the seat) when the right side falcon door is opening (and sometimes from the left - but we have the picture of the right side where it happened multiple times)
  2. Inside:
    1. 3rd row seats are not aligned (see picture)
    2. Windows rubber seal is not smooth (see picture)
    3. There is a sticker popping out from above the center mirror (is it suppose to be there??) - (See picture)
    4. Front doors inside rubber sealing the door has flaps (on both sides) - (see pictures)
    5. Front console - there is a gap between the front cover and the carbon top cover (see picture)
  3. Tech/System
    1. The AC doesn't work at all!! All the time!! (see pictures - from app and from car)
    2. Limited A/C and Battery cooling error (repeating - doesn't disappear after reboot)
    3. Wifi does not connect (need to restart the car to get it to work again) (see picture) - as a results it asks us to set up wi-fi all the time (see picture)
    4. The driver screen is blurry (solved by restart a couple of times) (see picture - not the picture is not blurry - it's the screen)
    5. The car just stops making sounds (radio/phone calls/signals) - (see video)
    6. Microphone works randomly - usually stops working at the middle of a call (so I can hear the other side but they can't hear me) - happens every day!
    7. Summon from the phone doesn't work (works well from the FOB)
    8. The phone shows that the bluetooth is connected - but the car tried to connect (and failed) for a couple of long minutes (see picture)
    9. Air suspension needs service (ALL the time - restart helps) - (see pictures)
    10. Map surrounding (and sometimes just parts of the map) doesn't show up on drive screen sometimes (but shows up well in main screen - see picture)
"

Reactions: 1 person
...The car makes horrible noise - we are not sure if it's related to the AC - while the car is OFF - sometimes - (see video)...

I recognize that sound and even when my car is off as well. That's the A/C, not necessarily for human but also for the battery which can be very, and I mean very loud. That has happened to me since 2012 until now so I am not worried about this particular noise.

But you got "service" errors so those need to be fixed.

The car is still in service... asked the DA if we can just get a new car instead - or some kind of compensation..
Biggest fix was AC - they claim that firmeware update addressed the majority of the problems...
I went to pick it up earlier this week - many of the (mostly visual) problems were not fixed yet.
So the car is still at the service center...

Please let me know if you had similar experience - I'm trying to understand what are my options at this point.

Update:
Seems like everything is fixed except:
  • Microphone - stops working at the middle of a phone call - tested on ios and android.
  • Air suspension error - got it once after getting the car back.
For mic problems - they claim it's a firmware problem common for 9xxx VINs and I should just wait for a firmware update.
They offered some compensation but I didn't get it in writing yet.

• Informative
This is so disappointing. I would cancel my reservation if there was something remotely competitive to the model X.

Being in the manufacturing world for 30+ years - I cannot understand the drastic swings in quality.

FWIW: after a very early set of speed bumps with my 3xxx X, Tesla's service fixed all (FSD issue, small driver 1/4 window leak noise, a sensor). Until my 12V battery went out recently we had gone 39K miles without a hiccup.

Vehicle is a gem....I've long since forgotten the early issues.

The good news for Tesla - they have no competition. I looked at other vehicles this weekend and there is not one competitor to the X.

We use summon a lot. We use auto pilot a lot. We like having a full tank (charge) when we leave the garage. We hate gas stations. We drive a lot. We need 4-5 seats a lot.

I will just need to make sure the issues get resolved. Because the X is the best vehicle for what we need.

update:
The service center will pick up the car tomorrow - I sent them list of problems (yes there are more...) - see below:

"Please see list of problems below (pictures are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/adMuXgPYjS0SZZ7B3):

1. Outside:
    1. Passenger side - the plastic panel that covers the camera is scratched (see picture)
    2. Driver side - door seal is not smooth (they tried to fix at delivery but it still doesn't look smooth and makes noise when driving fast (see picture)
    3. The car makes horrible noise - we are not sure if it's related to the AC - while the car is OFF - sometimes - (see video)
    4. Falcon door button rubber is not fitting the door - (see picture)
    5. Frame of right side falcon door has scratch/hit (see picture)
    6. Rain is coming in (on the seat) when the right side falcon door is opening (and sometimes from the left - but we have the picture of the right side where it happened multiple times)
  2. Inside:
    1. 3rd row seats are not aligned (see picture)
    2. Windows rubber seal is not smooth (see picture)
    3. There is a sticker popping out from above the center mirror (is it suppose to be there??) - (See picture)
    4. Front doors inside rubber sealing the door has flaps (on both sides) - (see pictures)
    5. Front console - there is a gap between the front cover and the carbon top cover (see picture)
  3. Tech/System
    1. The AC doesn't work at all!! All the time!! (see pictures - from app and from car)
    2. Limited A/C and Battery cooling error (repeating - doesn't disappear after reboot)
    3. Wifi does not connect (need to restart the car to get it to work again) (see picture) - as a results it asks us to set up wi-fi all the time (see picture)
    4. The driver screen is blurry (solved by restart a couple of times) (see picture - not the picture is not blurry - it's the screen)
    5. The car just stops making sounds (radio/phone calls/signals) - (see video)
    6. Microphone works randomly - usually stops working at the middle of a call (so I can hear the other side but they can't hear me) - happens every day!
    7. Summon from the phone doesn't work (works well from the FOB)
    8. The phone shows that the bluetooth is connected - but the car tried to connect (and failed) for a couple of long minutes (see picture)
    9. Air suspension needs service (ALL the time - restart helps) - (see pictures)
    10. Map surrounding (and sometimes just parts of the map) doesn't show up on drive screen sometimes (but shows up well in main screen - see picture)
"

Pretty large list. It’s shocking that some of those errors could make it out of the Tesla QC. Did you happen to use a checklist of some kind when you went over the entire vehicle? Looked like you were indoors, maybe the light helped you spot some of them?

Update:
added more videos/photos to the album.
  • Sound is still a problem (was not solved with latest FW update - and impact not only phone calls but also streaming and radio)
  • Air suspension errors every now and then - disappear by itself but popping up too often.
  • A/C still makes unreasonable sound imho. Even when the car is turned off.
I'm discussing all these issues with the service center over email. Really want to resolve all the problems soon because over all I really like the car just didn't expect to have so many problems/errors.

Update:
added more videos/photos to the album.
  • Sound is still a problem (was not solved with latest FW update - and impact not only phone calls but also streaming and radio)
  • Air suspension errors every now and then - disappear by itself but popping up too often.
  • A/C still makes unreasonable sound imho. Even when the car is turned off.
I'm discussing all these issues with the service center over email. Really want to resolve all the problems soon because over all I really like the car just didn't expect to have so many problems/errors.
@Zelig - did you get the sound issue fixed? If yes, what did the SC have to do? I am having intermittent sound issues (no sound at all in the car - no beeps, no music, no sound at all). So far, restarting the car a couple of times has fixed the issue but it is very annoying.
Thanks.

• Love
Reactions: Birdman325
@Zelig - did you get the sound issue fixed? If yes, what did the SC have to do? I am having intermittent sound issues (no sound at all in the car - no beeps, no music, no sound at all). So far, restarting the car a couple of times has fixed the issue but it is very annoying.
Thanks.
Have you taken it into the SC to have them look at it so far, or is it just not reproducible enough? When you say restarting the car a couple of times fixes it, do you mean just a normal screen reset?

Have you taken it into the SC to have them look at it so far, or is it just not reproducible enough? When you say restarting the car a couple of times fixes it, do you mean just a normal screen reset?
Haven’t bothered to report it yet since it’s happened only 2 times in the 3 weeks I’ve had the car. Both times, I switched the car off (controls -> settings -> power off) and turn it back on after a minute and the sound came back on.

Update:
The car is a lemon and we are in the process of returning it.
Went to pick up a new order today - and rejected the car due to many problems.
Did Tesla just stopped doing QA?

The experience today was so much worse than last time.
We checked in more than 10 minutes before the scheduled appointment. Outside. Apparently everything is happening outside now. OK.
We waited for more than 40 minutes to see our car arriving to the parking lot - but no one was available to talk with us. They said we can inspect the car but that we will have to wait 2+ hours for someone to do the paper work with us. After 2 hours and seeing all the problems (mostly paint and cosmetic issues - and some were even marked as problems by Tesla and were not fixed) we decided to tell them we are going to leave and will reschedule delivery.

Pictures here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ySmhcoT84MGBs4Qj7

Any suggestions? Are all the cars like this or did we just fall on another potential lemon?

Update:
Went to pick up a new order today - and rejected the car due to many problems.
Did Tesla just stopped doing QA?

The experience today was so much worse than last time.
We checked in more than 10 minutes before the scheduled appointment. Outside. Apparently everything is happening outside now. OK.
We waited for more than 40 minutes to see our car arriving to the parking lot - but no one was available to talk with us. They said we can inspect the car but that we will have to wait 2+ hours for someone to do the paper work with us. After 2 hours and seeing all the problems (mostly paint and cosmetic issues - and some were even marked as problems by Tesla and were not fixed) we decided to tell them we are going to leave and will reschedule delivery.

Pictures here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ySmhcoT84MGBs4Qj7

Any suggestions? Are all the cars like this or did we just fall on another potential lemon?

We’re due for delivery in a couple weeks, and starting to question myself. Unfortunately it sounds like lack of quality control is the norm.

Update:

Jeeze, that's terrible! Those welds look like something a chop-shop would do, you know where they take two cars, cut them in half and weld the two ends together. They don't even line up and the only way to fix that will be to rebuild the entire frame of the car.

The panel gaps would be bad on a $10k Ford, let alone a $100k car. It can't have gone through final QA testing if they left it in that condition, with the plastic strips still on it. I bet it leaks too. Good move rejecting it.

Edit: holy moly I just noticed the frikkin' hole in it by the FWD!