Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Going Crazy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone had this issue yet? I think I'm a HW3/FSD car. On software 2019.12.1.2. First time I've encountered this. I tried a soft reboot while driving and it didn't help.

As you can see it happened while navigation was on and when it was off.

Sorry for the video quality.

I have a HW3 LR AWD car. Had this happen for a week or so on 2019.12.1.2. Multiple MCU reboots/resets didn't fix it. Then like magic it went away on it's own for some reason and haven't had a problem in the last few weeks. No update needed. Not sure why it corrected.

I was also having issues at the same time with the dash cam USB causing constant display freezes and reboots. USB drive seemed to be incompatible because removing that fixed the freezes and it's about that same time the GPS glitch went away so worth removing that variable and seeing if it fixes your problem. I bought another USB drive and for the last week I haven't had any issues with it in there.

If the USB isn't the issue, might be worth it for peace of mind if nothing else to put in a service request in the app. Or if you can just wait it out.

I have a HW3 LR AWD car. Had this happen for a week or so on 2019.12.1.2. Multiple MCU reboots/resets didn't fix it. Then like magic it went away on it's own for some reason and haven't had a problem in the last few weeks. No update needed. Not sure why it corrected.

I was also having issues at the same time with the dash cam USB causing constant display freezes and reboots. USB drive seemed to be incompatible because removing that fixed the freezes and it's about that same time the GPS glitch went away so worth removing that variable and seeing if it fixes your problem. I bought another USB drive and for the last week I haven't had any issues with it in there.

If the USB isn't the issue, might be worth it for peace of mind if nothing else to put in a service request in the app. Or if you can just wait it out.
Thanks. I'll give it a few days to see what happens.

I've had the USB drive in since I bought the car on 4/26 so I don't think that's the issue.

Very odd.

I've also noticed that the GPS gets turned around in my parking garage at work. It takes it a while to sort itself out when I leave the garage. I can rationalize that issue even though my phone nor any of my previous cars have had this issue.

Makes me wonder if the GPS device is faulty and/or weak.

Thanks. I'll give it a few days to see what happens.

I've had the USB drive in since I bought the car on 4/26 so I don't think that's the issue.

Yeah I'm not positive that the USB was causing my GPS issue, just wanted to the note the possible correlation. When I was seeing the GPS issue, the biggest problem was that Nav on AP was really freaky on the Interstate. It would suddenly think the car was on the service road with a 40MPH speed limit instead of 70MPH on the highway and brake hard. And NoA would oscillate between being enabled and disabled. Made it pretty unusable during the glitch.

Yeah I'm not positive that the USB was causing my GPS issue, just wanted to the note the possible correlation. When I was seeing the GPS issue, the biggest problem was that Nav on AP was really freaky on the Interstate. It would suddenly think the car was on the service road with a 40MPH speed limit instead of 70MPH on the highway and brake hard. And NoA would oscillate between being enabled and disabled. Made it pretty unusable during the glitch.
Ahh!! So that's what was happening to us today then! We were in the interstate in NOA and it would suddenly go from 75 to 55!! Very freaky and dangerous.

It worked perfectly earlier in the day.

I had this problem (HW3 P3D+), and it went away after I did the following:

-Unpair your phone app from the car
-Power off the car (Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off)
-*Sit in the car* and don't touch anything for at least 5 minutes. This part is important. Don't get out of your seat and don't press the brake or touch the screen. Wait a full 5 mins.
-After 5 mins, press the brake to wake up the car
-Re-pair your phone

I saw in another thread that this worked for someone else as well, so hopefully this should do trick.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinM3LR
I had this problem (HW3 P3D+), and it went away after I did the following:

-Unpair your phone app from the car
-Power off the car (Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off)
-*Sit in the car* and don't touch anything for at least 5 minutes. This part is important. Don't get out of your seat and don't press the brake or touch the screen. Wait a full 5 mins.
-After 5 mins, press the brake to wake up the car
-Re-pair your phone

I saw in another thread that this worked for someone else as well, so hopefully this should do trick.

Thanks I forgot about this procedure. I did do this as well so that might be what fixed mine. I was troubleshooting 2 issues at once and the MCU freezing wasn't fixed by this so I assumed it hadn't worked. It may well be what fixed my GPS issue though.

I charged up my car once we got home. It went to sleep after it finished charging. I took it out for a spin around the block to see if the GPS issue persisted and it did not. Everything seemed perfectly normal. Very odd!

But thanks for the tip on what to try if any other crazy things happen!

I’ve noticed some very strange GPS behavior as well recently, including sending me to the wrong destination entirely while plotting a route to my home. It made no sense whatsoever and would have left me off in the middle of a major avenue about a mile and a half away from my destination. The pin showed the correct address but the blue route terminated way off course.

I’ve noticed some very strange GPS behavior as well recently, including sending me to the wrong destination entirely while plotting a route to my home. It made no sense whatsoever and would have left me off in the middle of a major avenue about a mile and a half away from my destination. The pin showed the correct address but the blue route terminated way off course.

I have had this issue, even though the pointer is on the proper location. I have also had the freak outs while on NoA so much that on my daily commute that I don't use it anymore. It has braked heavily without warning, no other cars around, and changed the speeds. It even once kept bouncing off the right line thinking the exit, which isn't there but on a nearby road, would suddenly appear.

Yes, it looks like a gps lock issue. Which I've been having, not only with my car, but with various dedicated gps devices and my phone over the last few weeks. Worst was 2 weeks ago approximately. I believe this is the result of some extreme solar flare activity - I saw a warning that this may be a result.

There have been state sponsored attacks against GPS on international waters (Russian sponsored attacks) and some government testing in civilian areas here in the US. Given the number of bugs I’ve encountered with Tesla’s code though, I’m not sure which explanation I’m more willing to go with here, most likely code issues since I haven’t seen this yet on my other GPS systems.

In the mean time, GPS has been solid all day today through my journey from NY to DC, and I’m driving 500 miles this week.