Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Maps updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving my 2015 S around Highway 101 near Broadway, in Burlingame, CA today and noticed that the GPS map does not correspond with the new actual upgraded exit/entrance ramps to the highway. Anyone know how often Tesla updates the GPS/maps?

I was driving my 2015 S around Highway 101 near Broadway, in Burlingame, CA today and noticed that the GPS map does not correspond with the new actual upgraded exit/entrance ramps to the highway. Anyone know how often Tesla updates the GPS/maps?

About once a year. And then those maps are about a year old. (So your maps go from being one to almost 2 years old.)

However, Tesla is supposed to start rolling out a new navigation system this weekend, and the plan is that the maps will get updated much more often. (It is rumored that the initial maps will be dated January, 2018.)

About once a year. And then those maps are about a year old. (So your maps go from being one to almost 2 years old.)

However, Tesla is supposed to start rolling out a new navigation system this weekend, and the plan is that the maps will get updated much more often. (It is rumored that the initial maps will be dated January, 2018.)

Thanks! I was figuring it would be something like that. The road modifications were only recently completed, so that make sense.

I just noticed the copyright notice on the map display in my S is showing 2018. Does that mean the new maps folks have been talking about have been installed?

2018.jpg

The Google maps are downloaded in real-time from a server. The road data is typically up-to-date, reflecting road changes within days. The satellite maps may lag a little, until Google posts new satellite maps to their server. [In the Houston area, it took months before they updated the maps that showed the flooded areas.]

The navigation software doesn't use these maps for routing - the Google maps are only used for display on the console.

In my case, there are a few new roads in the area that opened about a 9-12 months ago. The roads show up on the big screen however this road is not used during navigation. The maps on the dash don't show this road. I have attached 2 pictures to show the same.

As you see in the images, the new road is not recognized for navigation purpose.

How can I update the maps?

Attachments

• IMG_1586.jpg
    IMG_1586.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1589.jpg
    IMG_1589.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 51
The vehicles have onboard navigation maps covering huge areas (such as all of North America) - updating this data takes gigabytes of data, making it impractical for Tesla to frequently update this information - so Tesla appears to be updating the onboard map data every 12 to 24 months - which means that recent or current construction likely isn't included in the onboard map.

Since navigation routing is done on Tesla's cloud server, this only impacts routing if the vehicle is not connected to the internet or the vehicle is set to only use onboard routing.

However, the onboard speed limit and navigation map databases are used to control driving - particularly automatic speed adjustments. In areas with current/recent construction, the software could cause the vehicle to use an incorrect speed limit or rapidly brake where there used to be a different speed limit or if the lane you're driving wasn't there before (or used to be a different road).

Reliance on the onboard speed limit and navigation map databases to control driving will always be a problem - and Tesla really needs to reconsider this strategy.

Since vehicles are typically driven within a small area (within a 100-200 mile radius), Tesla could frequently (nightly?) send updates for nearby road fragments, with very few of those fragments needing any updates each night - significantly reducing the amount of data being transmitted to each vehicle, allowing the updates to be done frequently, and keeping the onboard data almost up-to-date. When a vehicle starts to move outside of the current area, sending the map fragment for the new area also wouldn't take much data - which should keep the onboard data up-to-date for long distance trips.

The vehicles have onboard navigation maps covering huge areas (such as all of North America) - updating this data takes gigabytes of data, making it impractical for Tesla to frequently update this information - so Tesla appears to be updating the onboard map data every 12 to 24 months - which means that recent or current construction likely isn't included in the onboard map.

Since they abandoned the Navigon/Garmin maps they have been updating them much more frequently. more like 2-3 times a year now.

Maps has my home location in the right place, but navigation says to turn left when it is necessary to turn RIGHT. It's not a huge distance but the map clearly shows that the dot for my home requires a right turn. How can I report this? Tried bug report - useless.
This explains why the Tesla person who delivered my car turned the wrong way and had to U turn (as well as mobile service)