TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Gradual release of Model 3 features

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by paulj, Mar 1, 2016.

1. paulj

paulj New Member

Just seen this very recent video. Elon seems to be very candid about a lot of issues. He says that the Model 3 features will be gradually brought to market rather than trying to pack them into the first version that is released (see 5:50).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Zvatbdydk

2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Just make sure you didn't miss the qualifier: new features. That means that they could deliver everything that the Model S or X currently has to start with, as well as some new features.

Though I'm not really sure what all the new features were on the Model X here is the list I came up with:
    * Falcon Wing Doors
    * Tow hitch/mode
    * Pedestal/moving second row seats
    * Bioweapon defense mode air-filter
    * Single 48A/72A charger
    * Auto-presenting doors
    * Active spoiler
    * Panoramic windshield

So if Elon had to do it again he would have held one or more of those features back to be added to the Model X at a future date.

3. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

I think the priority will be Tesla's USP of battery & drivetrain. That will be the "new tech" focus for the first M.Y.

Other cool stuff like AP will be present as well, but it will be existing tech rather than new. At least at first.

4. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

I don't think so. They are saying the M3 will come with the "next generation" tech.

Tesla Motors, Inc.: Model 3 to Sport "Next Generation" Tech -- The Motley Fool

5. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Agreed, but it will be phased in. I just think they'll start with battery-inverter-motor systems.

Happy to be proved wrong, though :)

6. strider

strider Active Member

This will be a disappointment. I want a P90DL the size of an A4 and sporting Gen 2 AP hardware. They've already been talking about putting the Gen 2 AP hardware into the Model S so I would believe that by late 2017/early 2018 the tech would be their standard sensor suite and that's what the Model 3 will get.

7. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I could've sworn EM said that the Model 3 would have the full autonomous hardware suite, and software will come later.

8. Brad_NC

Brad_NC Member

Great find, nice to have proof of what we know to have been true at the time it was actually said, haha.

This is fantastic point. It could have every single feature that the S and X have... just not for $35,000 haha.