Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gradual release of Model 3 features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just make sure you didn't miss the qualifier: new features. That means that they could deliver everything that the Model S or X currently has to start with, as well as some new features.

Though I'm not really sure what all the new features were on the Model X here is the list I came up with:
* Falcon Wing Doors
* Tow hitch/mode
* Pedestal/moving second row seats
* Bioweapon defense mode air-filter
* Single 48A/72A charger
* Auto-presenting doors
* Active spoiler
* Panoramic windshield

So if Elon had to do it again he would have held one or more of those features back to be added to the Model X at a future date.

I think the priority will be Tesla's USP of battery & drivetrain. That will be the "new tech" focus for the first M.Y.

Other cool stuff like AP will be present as well, but it will be existing tech rather than new. At least at first.

I think the priority will be Tesla's USP of battery & drivetrain. That will be the "new tech" focus for the first M.Y.

Other cool stuff like AP will be present as well, but it will be existing tech rather than new. At least at first.
This will be a disappointment. I want a P90DL the size of an A4 and sporting Gen 2 AP hardware. They've already been talking about putting the Gen 2 AP hardware into the Model S so I would believe that by late 2017/early 2018 the tech would be their standard sensor suite and that's what the Model 3 will get.

This will be a disappointment. I want a P90DL the size of an A4 and sporting Gen 2 AP hardware. They've already been talking about putting the Gen 2 AP hardware into the Model S so I would believe that by late 2017/early 2018 the tech would be their standard sensor suite and that's what the Model 3 will get.

I could've sworn EM said that the Model 3 would have the full autonomous hardware suite, and software will come later.

Just seen this very recent video. Elon seems to be very candid about a lot of issues. He says that the Model 3 features will be gradually brought to market rather than trying to pack them into the first version that is released (see 5:50).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Zvatbdydk

Great find, nice to have proof of what we know to have been true at the time it was actually said, haha.

Just make sure you didn't miss the qualifier: new features. That means that they could deliver everything that the Model S or X currently has to start with, as well as some new features.

This is fantastic point. It could have every single feature that the S and X have... just not for $35,000 haha.