Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great race with the Model X Plaid at the Drag Strip last Sunday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Poor Plymouth probably spend at least $100k on parts and doesn't even have an AC
Yeah honestly and I do mean this it's kind of sad how slow ice cars are. In just a few years from inception tesla took a very nascent technology (evs--and yes I know the first EV was a century ago, but had barely been touched in the meantime) and it's smoking everything for comparatively little money. This guy lives and breathes his car, and then along comes a guy who just writes a check, picks up a model x and in between using it as a reliable day to day commuter beats him at the track.

Yeah honestly and I do mean this it's kind of sad how slow ice cars are. In just a few years from inception tesla took a very nascent technology (evs--and yes I know the first EV was a century ago, but had barely been touched in the meantime) and it's smoking everything for comparatively little money. This guy lives and breathes his car, and then along comes a guy who just writes a check, picks up a model x and in between using it as a reliable day to day commuter beats him at the track.
ICE cars should compete with ICE cars, EVs with EVs. Yes, they're both "cars" but EVs are really different. It's not really fair., similar to the trans athlete argument.

I still remember the first time I spotted a Tesla Roadster while biking down a busy street. It quietly pulled up next to me, leaving a lasting impression. That silent electric charm stuck with me, leading me to trade in my 2012 C63 P31 for a 2015 P85DL. The kids loved the smooth speed without the noise, and so did my wife and I. Although I miss the stoplight races, the Tesla offers a different kind of thrill compared to the '63!

ICE cars should compete with ICE cars, EVs with EVs. Yes, they're both "cars" but EVs are really different. It's not really fair., similar to the trans athlete argument.
I drag race Pippi Plaidstocking on Willow Springs International Raceway's 1,000-foot strip. If I'm up against most anything that shows up on a trailer with wheelie bars, it's rock 'n' roll when the light turns green. Otherwise, at the request of a track official, I hang back then launch when I think it will be close at the finish. However, on drag days, the number of Teslas competing is increasing, so I'm often matched with another Tesla. X Plaid or S Plaid, it's immediate launch. Any 3 or Y, they get a head start. I'm sure most ICE drivers would prefer EV vs EV. I run Nitto NT555RII drag radials when I can (they're excellent) but they can't be used in cold weather. Last time out, the Michelin PS 4S would not grip. Next Willow drags is December 16th. I have Mickey Thompson Street Comps coming from Summit Racing; I expect them to grip better than the Michelins. So we'll see. I'll be shooting video for my little channel.

Reactions: EatsShoots
I drag race Pippi Plaidstocking on Willow Springs International Raceway's 1,000-foot strip. If I'm up against most anything that shows up on a trailer with wheelie bars, it's rock 'n' roll when the light turns green. Otherwise, at the request of a track official, I hang back then launch when I think it will be close at the finish. However, on drag days, the number of Teslas competing is increasing, so I'm often matched with another Tesla. X Plaid or S Plaid, it's immediate launch. Any 3 or Y, they get a head start. I'm sure most ICE drivers would prefer EV vs EV. I run Nitto NT555RII drag radials when I can (they're excellent) but they can't be used in cold weather. Last time out, the Michelin PS 4S would not grip. Next Willow drags is December 16th. I have Mickey Thompson Street Comps coming from Summit Racing; I expect them to grip better than the Michelins. So we'll see. I'll be shooting video for my little channel.
I have to check if I can get the Nittos in Mode X Plaid size.. Would be worth a try. I did get 1.57 to 1.62 60' times on the stock Contis.. Not bad for a 5400 lbs SUV..

Yeah this is what I alluded to in my first post. Those guys with the trailers live and breathe their cars. Years--maybe even decades into understanding what makes a gas car faster, and lots and lots of time and money sunk into it. They just seem like relics.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Yeah this is what I alluded to in my first post. Those guys with the trailers live and breathe their cars. Years--maybe even decades into understanding what makes a gas car faster, and lots and lots of time and money sunk into it. They just seem like relics.
I had over $100k into a '68 Vette Drag car. It was capable of high 8's with the full 250 shot of nitrous but I never ran more than a 100 shot and ran low 9's with the 100 shot of nitrous. I realized that power is not what's expensive.. Strength is expensive.. Most money went into a stronger transmission, rear end etc. etc.
A gas race car takes a lot of time and work to make fast. I don't have that time anymore, so the Plaid is perfect.

It's kind of sad that a car powered by electricity can easily humiliate even dedicated drag cars. Relics is right. One day, in a parking lot, I saw a Dodge Charger with the hood up and a few guys standing there. I walked over, cracked a joke like "Anytime you see a Dodge with the hood up, it's mandatory viewing time," ... and then I flashed on a fundamental truth about the car biz. Bottom line, this is about 120-year-old tech, incrementally improved, and sold to customers as the latest and greatest. Engine block, transmission, filters, lubricants, hoses everywhere, coolant, radiator, fans, spark plugs, wires everywhere, heat radiating out of that compartment, exhaust, and all the rest of it. I had a steam punk realization. This is actually antique steam punk. Any automaker could have done what Tesla did but it was too much trouble to innovate and nobody wanted to spend the money required. It was simpler and cheaper to keep doing what they'd been doing. They thought they were safe in their little engineering cocoons. And now they're paying the price.