Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great rechargeable motion & light sensing trunk light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the best cheap easy to use light I found for the Tesla trunk, just got mine! It has a magnetic strip that has the 3M adhesive and then the light can easily stick to the magnet or pull off to charge by USB and put back on. It only turns on when dark and when you wave your hand a few feet away so it should last a long time before recharging!

It fits perfectly under the side rail in the trunk, would be best to get one for each side; I used one of the 2 I ordered above my kitchen sink under the paper towel dispenser so I have to buy a third now to cover the other side of the trunk :)

OxyLED T-02S Rechargeable Motion Sensing LED Night Light for Closet, Attics, Hallway, Washroom - - Amazon.com

1130151845.jpg

1130151923a.jpg

1130152133.jpg

1130152136.jpg

1130152136a.jpg

1130152211b.jpg

I hardwired some LEDs in my trunk and these look just as good. Easier install, I bet. Put them in the same spots. I'd love a smaller version to put into my center console box. Do you know if they can be cut?

I love your trunk mat. Is it durable? Looks fantastic. I have seen them on a website, but wasn't sure how good it would look.

I hardwired some LEDs in my trunk and these look just as good. Easier install, I bet. Put them in the same spots. I'd love a smaller version to put into my center console box. Do you know if they can be cut?

I love your trunk mat. Is it durable? Looks fantastic. I have seen them on a website, but wasn't sure how good it would look.

Yes these literally take 10 seconds to install :) You just pull the magnet off the light, peel off the paper on the back that covers the adhesive and stick it up to the underside of the side rails. Then you turn the side switch of the light on and place it over the magnet and you're done :) It only turns on like 15 secs when you wave your hand inside and its dark so it should last like 6 months, then just pull the light off the magnet and plug into a usb charger, its easy.

There are other stick on lights on Amazon that are smaller, but likely will be battery operated instead of rechargeable. The smallest ones usually are touch to turn on rather than sensors. What size were you thinking?

The trunk mat seems very durable and can flex so its easy to pull up the footwell cover. You can see details on that in my other thread "New Floor Mats- Thoughts"

Yes these literally take 10 seconds to install :) You just pull the magnet off the light, peel off the paper on the back that covers the adhesive and stick it up to the underside of the side rails. Then you turn the side switch of the light on and place it over the magnet and you're done :) It only turns on like 15 secs when you wave your hand inside and its dark so it should last like 6 months, then just pull the light off the magnet and plug into a usb charger, its easy.
Have you noticed whether these would turn on if you had stuff in the trunk that would move around as you travel?

Here is the best cheap easy to use light I found for the Tesla trunk, just got mine!

Those lights do look interesting.

I just wanted to post to let people know that TMC member Pete, of Abstract Ocean, just started selling the LED replacement bulbs he'd been working on for a while. There's a thread about them here:
Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

You can see them on his site here:
Ultra-Bright LED Interior Light Kit - Abstract Ocean

I have no affiliation with Pete or Abstract Ocean, other than the fact that I am a satisfied customer, and Pete is a long-time member here.

Some people may prefer one solution over the other. The replacement bulbs were not available when you started this thread, musicious. Definitely not trying to steal your thunder, as the rechargeable option is an interesting one.

I was aware of his solution but didn't want to post in his long thread as I didn't want to claim these are better since they aren't permanent and do need to be recharged once in awhile (I'm guessing 3 times per year), but they certainly are much easier to install for those less technically inclined.

Amazon.com : Hallomall Garden

I put two of these in my trunk and one in the frunk. They're shorter than the ones the OP linked, but look similar. I mounted them upside down along the side rails in the trunk and in the little cubby area of the frunk. They work great and put out good light. Once in a while I have to wave my hand to get one of them to turn on, but mostly just opening the trunk at night sets them off. I put Eneloop rechargeable batteries in them when I purchased them, and about a year and a half after having fully charged the Eneloops, the LEDs are starting to dim and I'm going to have to recharge them. I don't think these lights are turning on randomly with the trunk closed and stuff moving around in the trunk area as I have gotten such long battery life. I suspect if they were coming on (and I do store stuff in the trunk), I wouldn't have gotten 1 1/2 years of battery life out of the batteries.