Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great Tesla/Model S on Huffington Post

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really Great Article, not all of his facts were accurate but his enthusiasm was completely sincere, plus he appreciates the science involved. He makes me want to cancel my reservation on the X and just go for the S right now. I want this car so badly, I just must contain myself and save my pennies and be patient. BE PATIENT, it will happen for me too. Oh but to have the S right now....... No I can wait, hurry up 2015!

One of the many sentences in this article is:

"We carry with us a lifetime of assumptions about cars, and those assumptions can limit our perception of new opportunities."

That's the way it is. Well said.

Indeed. By far the most common question I'm asked about my car is: "How long does it take to charge?" This question started to bug me until I realized recently that this is precisely because of a lifetime of ICE assumptions. When you own an ICE, you don't have "fuel" at home and have to make a special trip to go out and get it. The paradigm is going out, filling up and then consuming until you run out and have to go out and fill up again. For the uninitiated, it might be assumed that this is how you "fuel" an EV as well, so in that sense, charge time would be an issue. But when you have "fuel" at home, the whole equation is changed. You simply plug in at night and "top up". I don't even think about how long it takes.

Indeed. By far the most common question I'm asked about my car is: "How long does it take to charge?" This question started to bug me until I realized recently that this is precisely because of a lifetime of ICE assumptions. When you own an ICE, you don't have "fuel" at home and have to make a special trip to go out and get it. The paradigm is going out, filling up and then consuming until you run out and have to go out and fill up again. For the uninitiated, it might be assumed that this is how you "fuel" an EV as well, so in that sense, charge time would be an issue. But when you have "fuel" at home, the whole equation is changed. You simply plug in at night and "top up". I don't even think about how long it takes.

Again I learned something that I actually already knew but just did not know how to tell it to other people. And now I do know it. Thanks mate. Cheers

Agreed, mknox. When I bought my first plug-in, sight-unseen several years ago (I didn't know anybody else that had one at the time), I had several worries - but charge time was not one of them. I knew it would be charging overnight.

But somehow, this is a big concern for many people. I knew that the first two questions (back then; things are changing) were "how far does it go" and "how long does it take to charge", but I didn't take it seriously until I saw a focus group of gas drivers talking about electric cars without an owner in the room. The big conclusion that they came to was that it was intriguing technology, but none of them could get one because none of them had time to sit around for hours waiting for a charge. A lot of people really think that is how they are used!

That's why I make a point of saying that nobody ever HAS to wait for a charge. (Well, unless they bought the wrong car). Once they have a plug-in, they may choose to wait because they prefer waiting over driving with gas; but having a plug-in shouldn't force you to wait. Either buy an EV with enough range, buy a PHEV, swap with another car, etc. Refueling time is a real downside to owning an plug-in (the ONLY real downside), but it is very easy to avoid, so it simply shouldn't matter if you buy the right car for your needs.

A quick comparison that most people seem to get is to a cell phone - charge it at night, use it during the day. It has to have enough charge to last through the day; but assuming it does, it doesn't matter how long it takes (in fact, nobody seems to know how long it takes!) as long as it is full by morning.

Last edited:
Agreed, mknox. When I bought my first plug-in, sight-unseen several years ago (I didn't know anybody else that had one at the time), I had several worries - but charge time was not one of them. I knew it would be charging overnight.

But somehow, this is a big concern for many people. I knew that the first two questions (back then; things are changing) were "how far does it go" and "how long does it take to charge", but I didn't take it seriously until I saw a focus group of gas drivers talking about electric cars without an owner in the room. The big conclusion that they came to was that it was intriguing technology, but none of them could get one because none of them had time to sit around for hours waiting for a charge. A lot of people really think that is how they are used!

That's why I make a point of saying that nobody ever HAS to wait for a charge. (Well, unless they bought the wrong car). Once they have a plug-in, they may choose to wait because they prefer waiting over driving with gas; but having a plug-in shouldn't force you to wait. Either buy an EV with enough range, buy a PHEV, swap with another car, etc. Refueling time is a real downside to owning an plug-in (the ONLY real downside), but it is very easy to avoid, so it simply shouldn't matter if you buy the right car for your needs.

A quick comparison that most people seem to get is to a cell phone - charge it at night, use it during the day. It has to have enough charge to last through the day; but assuming it does, it doesn't matter how long it takes (in fact, nobody seems to know how long it takes!) as long as it is full by morning.

I'm going to start replying with "it's full every morning"

I always answer with: "Wrong question. The correct answer is, it's always full in the morning." Then you can go into details. Remember to always refer to no longer going to the smelly place with queues.

One of the best articles I've ever read on the subject, and I don't think that is just confirmation bias talking. :tongue:

If I had to pick something to criticize, I thought he was a bit too impressed with the available options. But now I'm really picking at those nits.

Regarding Charging batteries and that EVs are now viable, I remind them that for old cell phones like my Nokia I carried three batteries for a full day. It's helps them realize how fast battery technology has come.

Again I learned something that I actually already knew but just did not know how to tell it to other people. And now I do know it. Thanks mate. Cheers

So did I.

mknox, ChadS, dmetcalf... you are brilliant! It was right in front of me and I missed it. It is a paradigm shift. That is the way to answer!

Now imagine I have another equally good cell phone charged by this liquid (I am not even going to make it dangerous). It will keep your phone charged for about a week,

Now we have "cell phone stations" everywhere... in every corner. All you have to do is go there once a week and wait about 2 minutes to charge it.

Which one you prefer?

My wife actually thought it would be a pain to have to charge it all the time... Simply because of the conditioning of gas fueling. It is not until you have it that you realize it is totally different.

Now she answers: "It takes no time! You just plug when you get home. You don't even think about it!"

Last edited by a moderator: