Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To upgrade or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lmhufty

Supporting Member
Nov 1, 2020
Montverde, FL
I currently own a 2016 Tesla Model S. With the recent price reductions, I've been looking at the new 2023 Model S. So I have two questions for you if anyone willing to help me.

1. I currently have unlimited charging on my vehicle which is transferable to a new buyer. In addition, though, Tesla's offered to transfer that unlimited charging to a new model. Model S. In your opinion, does the addition of the unlimited charging add a significant price to the resale value of my 2016? I have a home charger, and only use the superchargers occasionally.

2. With all that's going on in the EV market and with Tesla, it's this even a good time to consider buying a new vehicle?

I would greatly appreciate your honesty. Thank you for your time.
Lawrence Hufty.

IMHO I would wait until 2024 to get a new Model S only because there are supposedly adding ambient lighting to the S/X cars and because it’s close to the end of the year anyway so you would get a 2024 VIN. As for the FUSC that depends on the buyer, if it means anything to them or not. I would advertise that as an option to keep on the car and charge a little extra money, if they don’t want to pay extra, just transfer to the new car.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello Lawrence,
I also have a 2016 Model S75 RWD with the new front. It has free supercharging SC01 as well as Auto Lane Change, Auto Park and Summon. It also has free lifetime connectivity.
If I buy the same car as a 2023/24 model, I have to pay $89,130 plus tax which includes Enhenced Autopilot for $6,000 and I could transfer my free supercharging over to the new car.
I assume I would not get more than $30,000 for my current vehicle on the Used Car Market. That's why we decided to keep our current car and drive it "to death". Perhaps we have to replace the battery for less than $20,000 in the future, but besides that the vehicle is perfect and drives like new.
I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your feedback. Confirming some of my questions and adding more information. Thank you.

One additional question on range in cold temperatures (I live in Chicago).

On my current S, we lose 20-40% depending on the outside temperature. The salesman at the Tesla salesroom told me that there was new functionality that means you lose less than 4% range in cold conditions. Is that consistent with people's real world experience?

Many thanks

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your feedback. Confirming some of my questions and adding more information. Thank you.

On my current S, we lose 20-40% depending on the outside temperature. The salesman at the Tesla salesroom told me that there was new functionality that means you lose less than 4% range in cold conditions. Is that consistent with people's real world experience?

Many thanks

It’s going to be more than 4% on the colder days but he’s talking about the heat pump technology that replaced the electric resistive heat. Heat generated electrically through a resistor is notoriously inefficient, just as it is in a home. Therefore, he’s correct but I think you’ll find the magnitude to be more than 4%.

Reactions: aerodyne
Upvote 0
The transfer of FUSC is what made it a no-brainer for me. I have 240+k miles on my 2015 85D. Battery/drivetrain warranty expires Sunday. Obviously, I do a lot of Supercharging. More now than I used to, but probably at least 40% over the last eight years.

Everyone’s situation is different, but for a high mileage driver like me my old car isn’t worth much with or without FUSC, and there’s a tremendous benefit to me in having unlimited charging, longer range and much, much faster SC times.

I was already working out thd cost of replacing my battery when it goes to keep the old car going with FUSC. Now, I have the new S on order and will continue to use tye 2015 to carry my dirty mountain bike back and forth to the trail head and possibly get a tow-behind mower attachment to mow the weeds on my property. Tesla offered only $2,800 for it, so it’s cheaper than buying a ride-on electric mower.

Many thanks
Sadly, you’ll find that most of the salesmen/advisors at Tesla don’t own a Tesla, so their information is almost never based on personal experience.

Reactions: TFCooper3
Upvote 0
IMHO I would wait until 2024 to get a new Model S only because there are supposedly adding ambient lighting to the S/X cars and because it’s close to the end of the year anyway so you would get a 2024 VIN. As for the FUSC that depends on the buyer, if it means anything to them or not. I would advertise that as an option to keep on the car and charge a little extra money, if they don’t want to pay extra, just transfer to the new car.

And a front bumper camera. That's what I'm waiting for the most.

Upvote 0
And a front bumper camera. That's what I'm waiting for the most.
My reasoning for ordering now was that I don’t want to risk a price increase or the removal of the FUSC offer. Sure, it’s possible the price/incentives could get even better, but I think there’s greater risk of a $10k increase than a $5k drop on a Model S at $74,990 with FUSC 05.

I feel for the people who took delivery of the exact same car at $95k one month ago.

I figure I paid my dues with the first three Teslas I purchased at much higher than current prices. I was willing to do that, knowing there was risk involved. If no one bought the first Model S’s, there would be very few companies producing a very small number of EV’s today, if any.

Upvote 0
The FUSC transfer offer got my attention.

I have a 2017 100D with beige and carbon fiber. Lifetime FUSC, EAP/FSD, Premium. Under 50K miles. No accidents.

My experience is having my 2017 that has been maintenance free except for the screen yellowing issue and changing tires.

Research on this site regarding lingering issues is keeping me from pulling the trigger.

I might get more range with a LR but Plaid seems to range near my current vehicle.

I would be the only guy in the US to want the Plaid for the factory carbon fiber panels versus quickness. It will be quicker to 60mph sure, but having a functional web browser versus one you hope your passenger doesn't discover is cool too. I also hope opening the frunk is safer - meaning no risk to creating a fold in the hood. But...

Many 2023 refresh Model S Plaids according to posts and threads on this site seem to suggest they:

1) Suffer from 3 vibration events depending on speed. I would assume 2024s will as well.

2) Have an unacknowledged by Tesla half shaft issue since refresh in 2021.

3) Have a rear latch rattle (electric tape seems to fix this)

4) Panel alignment issues

5) A camber issue resulting in premature tire wear

6) A re-engineered HVAC which can emit pungent "dirty sock/vinegar" smells until cleaned / filters replaced. I had a Model 3 with this issue - yuck.

7) No sunroof. I didn't sense more headroom either when I sat in one.

8) No steering wheel stalks.

9) Steering wheel worm. You just can't unsee it.

10) Camera only FSD. I bet it equals what I have now though: equally untrustworthy with lives.

11) If I get 19" tires I get Summer Tires plus hubcaps. Not good for Chicagoland winters.

12) Tires that seem to promote rock chips in quarter panels. Sure PPF. But even PPF when blasted shows marks your detailer can't hide.

Food for thought.

I will probably cave at some point as Tesla will float a promotion like transfer FUSC and FSD and Premium, et cetera but the list helps for now.

Upvote 0
The FUSC transfer offer got my attention.

I have a 2017 100D with beige and carbon fiber. Lifetime FUSC, EAP/FSD, Premium. Under 50K miles. No accidents.

My experience is having my 2017 that has been maintenance free except for the screen yellowing issue and changing tires.

Research on this site regarding lingering issues is keeping me from pulling the trigger.

I might get more range with a LR but Plaid seems to range near my current vehicle.

I would be the only guy in the US to want the Plaid for the factory carbon fiber panels versus quickness. It will be quicker to 60mph sure, but having a functional web browser versus one you hope your passenger doesn't discover is cool too. I also hope opening the frunk is safer - meaning no risk to creating a fold in the hood. But...

Many 2023 refresh Model S Plaids according to posts and threads on this site seem to suggest they:

1) Suffer from 3 vibration events depending on speed. I would assume 2024s will as well.

2) Have an unacknowledged by Tesla half shaft issue since refresh in 2021.

3) Have a rear latch rattle (electric tape seems to fix this)

4) Panel alignment issues

5) A camber issue resulting in premature tire wear

6) A re-engineered HVAC which can emit pungent "dirty sock/vinegar" smells until cleaned / filters replaced. I had a Model 3 with this issue - yuck.

7) No sunroof. I didn't sense more headroom either when I sat in one.

8) No steering wheel stalks.

9) Steering wheel worm. You just can't unsee it.

10) Camera only FSD. I bet it equals what I have now though: equally untrustworthy with lives.

11) If I get 19" tires I get Summer Tires plus hubcaps. Not good for Chicagoland winters.

12) Tires that seem to promote rock chips in quarter panels. Sure PPF. But even PPF when blasted shows marks your detailer can't hide.

Food for thought.

I will probably cave at some point as Tesla will float a promotion like transfer FUSC and FSD and Premium, et cetera but the list helps for now.
If they added stalks and USS, I’ll probably buy one tomorrow, cash!

Reactions: calm-one
Upvote 0
I currently own a 2016 Tesla Model S. With the recent price reductions, I've been looking at the new 2023 Model S. So I have two questions for you if anyone willing to help me.

1. I currently have unlimited charging on my vehicle which is transferable to a new buyer. In addition, though, Tesla's offered to transfer that unlimited charging to a new model. Model S. In your opinion, does the addition of the unlimited charging add a significant price to the resale value of my 2016? I have a home charger, and only use the superchargers occasionally.

2. With all that's going on in the EV market and with Tesla, it's this even a good time to consider buying a new vehicle?

I would greatly appreciate your honesty. Thank you for your time.
Lawrence Hufty.
I too am looking into the worth of changing. I however found out that the free supercharging is NOT transferable with the car. So you can't sell your current model with free supercharging. I purchased my car with the information that free supercharging will follow my car no matter who owns it. About a year later I find that this option was revoked and if I sell the car free feature disappears. I think that is why Tesla is offering the free supercharging with a new Tesla because we'll lose it some time.

My dilemma is that I paid extra for ambient lighting and cold weather mode which heats up my steering wheel and ALL seats. I don't not if the new model S have these features built in or will I lose them? Any info would be helpful.

Upvote 0