Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To upgrade or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lmhufty

Supporting Member
Nov 1, 2020
Montverde, FL
I currently own a 2016 Tesla Model S. With the recent price reductions, I've been looking at the new 2023 Model S. So I have two questions for you if anyone willing to help me.

1. I currently have unlimited charging on my vehicle which is transferable to a new buyer. In addition, though, Tesla's offered to transfer that unlimited charging to a new model. Model S. In your opinion, does the addition of the unlimited charging add a significant price to the resale value of my 2016? I have a home charger, and only use the superchargers occasionally.

2. With all that's going on in the EV market and with Tesla, it's this even a good time to consider buying a new vehicle?

I would greatly appreciate your honesty. Thank you for your time.
Lawrence Hufty.

IMHO I would wait until 2024 to get a new Model S only because there are supposedly adding ambient lighting to the S/X cars and because it’s close to the end of the year anyway so you would get a 2024 VIN. As for the FUSC that depends on the buyer, if it means anything to them or not. I would advertise that as an option to keep on the car and charge a little extra money, if they don’t want to pay extra, just transfer to the new car.
Any word on when these upgrades are coming? I want a new Plaid but I feel like the new Model 3 is better! It has a few more refinements in the HVAC and interior lighting etc. that I feel like the S/X should have.

Upvote 0
Any word on when these upgrades are coming? I want a new Plaid but I feel like the new Model 3 is better! It has a few more refinements in the HVAC and interior lighting etc. that I feel like the S/X should have.
The Model 3 is not “better” than the S, it is just now improved over what it was. These are different classes of cars, and the S interior is still a massive jump over the 3, not to mention air suspension, driver’s display, roomy trunk etc. The improvements to the 3 now bring it certainly closer to an S, but aside from ambient lighting there’s not anything in the 3 that the S doesn’t have (piddly blind spot LED aside).

Reactions: walex19
Upvote 0
The Model 3 is not “better” than the S, it is just now improved over what it was. These are different classes of cars, and the S interior is still a massive jump over the 3, not to mention air suspension, driver’s display, roomy trunk etc. The improvements to the 3 now bring it certainly closer to an S, but aside from ambient lighting there’s not anything in the 3 that the S doesn’t have (piddly blind spot LED aside).
aaaaaand adaptive matrix LED functionality coming in the next software update in the new, Highland Model 3. No mention of it on the S. Come on, Tesla!

Last edited:
Reactions: Workmailman
Upvote 0
What is up with the ambient lighting fiends? I feel like you can find a local company to do ambient lighting for you for about $1000. I have a few shops on long island here who can do it so Ambient lighting really isn't that big of a deal

Upvote 0
What is up with the ambient lighting fiends? I feel like you can find a local company to do ambient lighting for you for about $1000. I have a few shops on long island here who can do it so Ambient lighting really isn't that big of a deal

I don’t think it’s about the after market cost of the ambient lighting. I think people are just sad that the S/X are an afterthought to Tesla these days. They’re a lot more expensive than the 3/Y yet have consistently lagged in receiving meaningful tech (or cosmetic, a la ambient lighting) updates.

It shouldn’t be a surprise to anybody, but I totally understand the frustration (as someone with a pending S/X order) and wish Tesla could for once show some respect and goodwill to model S/X owners.

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Upvote 0
I don’t think it’s about the after market cost of the ambient lighting. I think people are just sad that the S/X are an afterthought to Tesla these days. They’re a lot more expensive than the 3/Y yet have consistently lagged in receiving meaningful tech (or cosmetic, a la ambient lighting) updates.

It shouldn’t be a surprise to anybody, but I totally understand the frustration (as someone with a pending S/X order) and wish Tesla could for once show some respect and goodwill to model S/X owners.
That’s not entirely true, though. The refresh S and X has had more tech than the 3 for years. Ventilated seats, air suspension, nicer interior, driver’s display, double-paned glass, better performance etc etc. Some of that has gradually come to the 3.

Upvote 0
Ambient lighting ? I wish they'd just let us display the trip card and other features that used to be possible to show on the fronl dash, not on the main display. They've curtailed the set of information that could previously be shown on the front dash. It's a sign that even spending on S/X specific software is an afterthought.

I don't begrudge the 3/Yers getting good stuff. Would be nice if S/X didn't just not get that but lost stuff it had previously.

Upvote 0