Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To upgrade or not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lmhufty

Supporting Member
Nov 1, 2020
Montverde, FL
I currently own a 2016 Tesla Model S. With the recent price reductions, I've been looking at the new 2023 Model S. So I have two questions for you if anyone willing to help me.

1. I currently have unlimited charging on my vehicle which is transferable to a new buyer. In addition, though, Tesla's offered to transfer that unlimited charging to a new model. Model S. In your opinion, does the addition of the unlimited charging add a significant price to the resale value of my 2016? I have a home charger, and only use the superchargers occasionally.

2. With all that's going on in the EV market and with Tesla, it's this even a good time to consider buying a new vehicle?

I would greatly appreciate your honesty. Thank you for your time.
Lawrence Hufty.

We are. And it's not a legacy car.

I guess it's just pre-refresh that is being called "Legacy".

Upvote 0
I guess it's just pre-refresh that is being called "Legacy".
That’s correct. Up to mid 2021 would be considered Legacy. Mid 2021 and on is very much current.

Reactions: dsm363
Upvote 0
That’s correct. Up to mid 2021 would be considered Legacy. Mid 2021 and on is very much current.

Since I see nearly daily references to the S/X as being Legacy, I'm just going to disagree here. Not that I think this is a disparagement on the platform. I just ordered my 3rd Tesla and they've all been S/X.

Per earning call...The next gen, low cost vehicle will be designed, and made in Austin. "Elon time" production schedule starts end of '25.

So, new development should not tax resources in Fremont, and MS and MX production.

Possibly less effort to be spent on modernization of legacy platforms.

Upvote 0
Since I see nearly daily references to the S/X as being Legacy, I'm just going to disagree here. Not that I think this is a disparagement on the platform. I just ordered my 3rd Tesla and they've all been S/X.
It’s a current model, only been out a couple of years, and is nearly completely different from the older Model S. Wider, more aggressive, completely new interior from top to bottom, new motors including a third on the Plaid. Might as well call the Model 3 legacy, in that case. After all, even Highland is a moderate interior upgrade, not entirely new like the S (and X). And it has the same motors and battery as the prior years. So if the S/X is legacy, so is 3/Y.

Upvote 0
It’s a current model, only been out a couple of years, and is nearly completely different from the older Model S. Wider, more aggressive, completely new interior from top to bottom, new motors including a third on the Plaid. Might as well call the Model 3 legacy, in that case. After all, even Highland is a moderate interior upgrade, not entirely new like the S (and X). And it has the same motors and battery as the prior years. So if the S/X is legacy, so is 3/Y.

I already heard you. You need to go track down everyone else and convince them ;)

• Funny
Reactions: aerodyne
Upvote 0
I already heard you. You need to go track down everyone else and convince them ;)
I don’t think anyone will really disagree if they think about it. In terms of Tesla’s next-generation platform referenced, then sure - all the current models are legacy. But that’s it. In normal, forum lingo, nobody is referring to the current cars as legacy. If someone here said they bought a legacy Model S, we’d all assume that to mean a pre-2021 refresh model.

Reactions: phantasms
Upvote 0
Steer by wire + the yoke would be a great addition after a couple years of the Cybertruck proving out the reliability of the system. Also updated buttons on the steering wheel to have a more physical feeling a la highland.

I'm really curious to see if the model 3 performance will emerge with a starker contrast to the standard/LR when compared to the pre-highland performance version. Different seats seem to have been leaked. Perhaps different front and rear as well. It might be nice to see some of those things come to the plaid S.

All of the above would make for some pretty compelling changes.

In the meantime I'm also a little worried about the 4680 cells. If they refresh the model s in the next year or two and haven't sorted out the charging curve of 4680 they could nerf the s pretty hard. I understand it's better economics for them to control that production.. I just don't want it to affect us negatively. In that regard the current car is a known quantity and may very well be the sweet spot. Why mess with something so good already.

Upvote 0
I don’t think anyone will really disagree if they think about it. In terms of Tesla’s next-generation platform referenced, then sure - all the current models are legacy. But that’s it. In normal, forum lingo, nobody is referring to the current cars as legacy. If someone here said they bought a legacy Model S, we’d all assume that to mean a pre-2021 refresh model.
I would think legacy would be pre-AP Model S but it's not a very specific term for sure. But I see your other posts on what Tesla considers legacy.

Upvote 0