Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green Car Reports: Model S sport announced, and a 320 mile option.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm guessing that this wheel option will improve the range on the 160/230 mile models also?

It didnt seem to me that the added range from the different wheels and the 160/230 packs were mutually exclusive. But i did ask the tesla guy that was giving us the tour if that was the 21" turbine wheels, and he couldnt confirm that.

One more thought to add to the 'how much less range for the Sport version' discussion: the rear tires may well need to be wider to handle the additional torque of the Sport, which would reduce efficiency by some measurable amount...

It might be something like the wheels on the Ampera:

b32a56c17ee1c7675258b5f57ebcbcbdf2005fb1.jpg

Clever use of black paint.

320 needs the turbine wheels presumably?! Folks seem to think that the turbines look better so one'd be getting range *and* cosmetics, no?!
My guess is that the 320 mi wheels would be solid disks to minimize turbulence around the wheel. You see that design in the special bicycles for time-trial races and on purpose-built cars for maximum range challenges.

I'm sorry to derail the thread, but I forgot to ask the Tesla guys about regen braking, and I hope someone here knows the answer to these- - do the regen brakes wear out, and how long do they last on the average? Are they more costly to replace than brake pads?
Regen braking uses the motor to slow the car down by having it act like a generator. It is like engine braking, except regen braking actually adds electricity back to the battery pack by converting your car's kinetic energy to electricity. Therefore, there is no direct wear item associated with regen braking.

The only wear from regen braking is your battery (or capacitor bank in some cars). And if they are completely full, regen braking can't be done.

It is basically a win-win. Saves your friction brakes (no 'wear and tear') and improves your efficiency (recaptures otherwise wasted energy.)

Aside from the emotor being more efficient than ICE, regen braking is way up there in terms of benefits to having an emotor in your drivetrain (even for hybrids.)
In this day and age, it is sad that we still have the majority of vehicles using friction brakes for all their slowing down.