Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green Light Detection - Too Fast!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That half second delay - my favorite related event recently was in St. George in Utah - I was visiting, so was in the right lane of a 4 lane road, but there was a slow truck in the left lane, and a very impatient BMW behind me. He was already pissed at me for stopping for the red light, he had wanted me to push it through the start of the red when it changed, and had given me some clear hand waving to that effect. SO I was watching the light like a hawk, and did the tesla punch the instant it changed, he honked anyway, and then the car beeped at me, all in that order. I was pretty much through the intersection by the time it beeped.

• Funny
Reactions: Gsxr150
I’m pretty shocked at how many people are ok with the current implementation. I agree with the OP that it’s too fast and very annoying as a result.

I was excited by the idea originally and thought it would be a nice feature, but I ended up turning it off out of frustration after less than a day. The vast majority of times it chimed at me, I had noticed the green light right away and just didn’t react fast enough for the car’s liking. I don’t want to have to keep my foot hovering over the accelerator pedal while I anxiously wait for the light to change just to avoid a nag.

He was already pissed at me for stopping for the red light, he had wanted me to push it through the start of the red when it changed, and had given me some clear hand waving to that effect. SO I was watching the light like a hawk, and did the tesla punch the instant it changed,
It's fascinating how different peoples' mindsets can be. That sort of behavior would make me utterly disinclined to reward that driver's antics with deference. I would aboslutely not "sit on the green" like some might, but I would not be jackrabbiting through the intersection immediately -- especially with large vehicles obstructing my view of potential red-light runners.

If I had a nickel for every tailgating, lane-juking, agressively-driving knucklehead I've let pass me by and ultimately ended up slowly cruising past a few blocks later, I might have a Model S rather than a Model 3. Slow and steady often does indeed win the race. Even if you're not interested in racing.

• Funny
Reactions: valaeyron and sduck
It's not a nag - that would imply that it won't beep if you go soon enough. It always beeps when it sees the light turn green, or never if you switch it off completely. It's just a convenience feature. Turn it off if you don't like it.

That is not true in my experience. If you press the accelerator even a little bit before the 1/2 delay is up, you get no nag.

I’m pretty shocked at how many people are ok with the current implementation. I agree with the OP that it’s too fast and very annoying as a result.

I was excited by the idea originally and thought it would be a nice feature, but I ended up turning it off out of frustration after less than a day. The vast majority of times it chimed at me, I had noticed the green light right away and just didn’t react fast enough for the car’s liking. I don’t want to have to keep my foot hovering over the accelerator pedal while I anxiously wait for the light to change just to avoid a nag.

Yep...just a quick second to let us clear the intersection and start moving would be nice. I don't need a ding that tells me the light is instantly green...there is no value in that. What I would find value in is a "hey dude pay attention, you have green light and you're not going anywhere", reminder/nudge. (Thats just me though...)

It's not a nag - that would imply that it won't beep if you go soon enough. It always beeps when it sees the light turn green, or never if you switch it off completely. It's just a convenience feature. Turn it off if you don't like it.

That is not true in my experience. If you press the accelerator even a little bit before the 1/2 delay is up, you get no nag.

Really? That's odd. It most definitely beeps even if I've already started moving, on many occasions. I wonder if there's some other setting that it interacts with.

That is odd. My Model 3 behaves like Nostromo described. If you hit the accelerator within 0.5 seconds or so (maybe at tad longer -- I didn't time it precisely) of the light turning green, it doesn't make a sound.

Well, we're all very different. Sometimes when it beeps at me I'm off in another dimension, and I turn and wonder what's that beeping at me, is it the phone, or is it coming from .. OH, It's the green light reminder!
Beats waiting for the Passenger/Wife to "beep". Works like a charm. No complaints.

the chime will not beep if you are creeping or if you start right as the light turns green.

also if you are behind a car that's at the line and the light turns green, the car wont beep at you until the car in front moves away. i specifically tested the latter to see if it would do that and it does.

the chime will not beep if you are creeping or if you start right as the light turns green.

also if you are behind a car that's at the line and the light turns green, the car wont beep at you until the car in front moves away. i specifically tested the latter to see if it would do that and it does.

Ahh...that makes sense! Also for the record, as I'm the OP, I love that the feature is available! My intention isn't to knock the feature, but simply to give my feedback. I vote for an extra second on top of what's there. :)

In mine it most definitely beeps even if I start up before it beeps. Not creeping.

As I've speculated earlier in this thread, perhaps there's another setting that's interacting with the beeping that makes mine behave differently than yours. It is a new feature after all, perhaps all the bugs aren't worked out.

That is odd. My Model 3 behaves like Nostromo described. If you hit the accelerator within 0.5 seconds or so (maybe at tad longer -- I didn't time it precisely) of the light turning green, it doesn't make a sound.

ok I had to turn the beep back on to test it again today. And I found that we’re both right, sort of. If you press the accelerator right after the light turns green, within a quarter of a second or so, you don’t get the beep. But if you wait until you see the green light on the car display before touching the pedal, you do get the beep.
So it would seem it beeps if you aren’t touching the accelerator when the car reacts to the green light. You have to be very fast (200 ms or so) to beat the nag.

Troubleshooting problems with a fleet that has a million different cars that all learned to drive differently would be an insane nightmare- that's just not going to happen.

Eventually we might see a few specific settings similar to the ones we have for NoA right now ie mad max and such, but that's about it.
I agree with what you are saying here, but how would you feel about the fleet having a baseline behavior, that is specific to every car in the fleet, but then having an AI component that makes the car drive more like the driver does? Baseline would be pretty much how Auto Steer functions today, for whichever level of autonomy the customer has paid for, but then AI could make adjustments for things like how quickly I pull off the line, or how closely I follow the car in fort of me, or when I change lanes I over take or I allow others to pass? These little nuances could enhance the AP experience and make it unique for each driver based on how they drive.