Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green Light on Rearview Mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Runt8

May 19, 2017
Colorado
This was spotted earlier on the interior shots posted last night, but no one seems to be talking about it.

Any thoughts on what the green light could be on the rearview mirror? I'm pretty sure it's not just a funny reflection.

S6erzYN.jpg

I first thought it was just light passing through the glass of the mirror which would tend to look greenish, but second look not so sure. Can't see having any kind of light there would make any sense though.

Ok, I think I convinced myself it is just light through the mirror glass. :p

I've thought for a while the rearview mirror could be used to communicate with the driver without the need for a screen. I'm thought this after seeing this https://i1.wp.com/electrek.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/04-kodnxsn.jpg it looks like something is lit up (could be a reflection).

Back to the OP image it looks like the speakers are high too on the A-pillar and some door storage that's lacking on the Model S.

I've thought for a while the rearview mirror could be used to communicate with the driver without the need for a screen. I'm thought this after seeing this https://i1.wp.com/electrek.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/04-kodnxsn.jpg it looks like something is lit up (could be a reflection).

Back to the OP image it looks like the speakers are high too on the A-pillar and some door storage that's lacking on the Model S.
Most likely speaker for Bluetooth. Would be a strange location for a radio speaker.

I first thought it was just light passing through the glass of the mirror which would tend to look greenish, but second look not so sure. Can't see having any kind of light there would make any sense though.

Ok, I think I convinced myself it is just light through the mirror glass. :p
At first I thought that too, but why would it show up behind the plastic edge?

Reactions: Big-T
This was spotted earlier on the interior shots posted last night, but no one seems to be talking about it.

Any thoughts on what the green light could be on the rearview mirror? I'm pretty sure it's not just a funny reflection.

S6erzYN.jpg
Are you referring to the green patch on the bottom third of the side-view mirror? If so, looks like reflection of grass or treetops behind the car. Similar to what's seen out the driver's side window in the distance.

Are you referring to the green patch on the bottom third of the side-view mirror? If so, looks like reflection of grass or treetops behind the car. Similar to what's seen out the driver's side window in the distance.

I stretched this as far as possible on my iPad... definitely looks like grass to me, unfortunately. Nothing useful, sorry!
Are you two doing some kind of comedy routine? ;)

upload_2017-6-12_20-9-59.png

• Funny
Reactions: Kira
Are you two doing some kind of comedy routine? ;)

View attachment 231065
He said 'side view', the driver side mirror so I was answering that question. The middle of the car mirror is usually called the 'rear view' mirror. I have no idea what that green bar is. :D I didn't even see that little green line on the rear view mirror. Very strange.

Reactions: Algbc
He said 'side view', the driver side mirror so I was answering that question. The middle of the car mirror is usually called the 'rear view' mirror. I have no idea what that green bar is. :D I didn't even see that little green line on the rear view mirror. Very strange.
You and bluestarE3 are the only ones talking about side view mirrors (and grass) in this thread.

Not sure there is plastic edge there. The Model S (and assume Model X) have frameless rear view mirrors and the glass is essentially in front of the plastic.

Like this: (not exactly S mirror but good example) Notice the green edge...
2015-wrx-sti-frameless-mirror-manual-1_4.jpg
This could be it, although it looks to me like the plastic goes all the way to the edge, and the mirror is embedded in it.

• Informative
Reactions: GBleck