Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green New Deal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After COVID-19, The Oil Industry Will Not Return To “Normal”

Normal also caused the mass destruction of ecosystems, human desperation for animal protein and increased human-wildlife contact. Combined, these factors led to Ebola, Hanta, bird flu, SARS, MERS and now COVID-19 to find a new, more plentiful host in human beings.

Will your taxpayer money be wasted on a return to normal? Or, could it be used to create a new roaring 20s and an economy that thrives for decades to come?

Cancelling student debt was always the right thing to do. Now it's imperative

Cancelling student debt was always the right thing to do. Now it's imperative | Astra Taylor

Coronavirus has changed the calculus. With a global pandemic and economic depression looming, the case for cancelling debt, especially student debt, has taken on a new urgency. The economy is entering freefall and millions are unable to pay their bills. With a fourth stimulus package on the horizon, now is the time for debtors to get organized and fight for what’s right – full student loan abolition.

Reactions: jerry33
Cancelling student debt was always the right thing to do. Now it's imperative

Cancelling student debt was always the right thing to do. Now it's imperative | Astra Taylor

Coronavirus has changed the calculus. With a global pandemic and economic depression looming, the case for cancelling debt, especially student debt, has taken on a new urgency. The economy is entering freefall and millions are unable to pay their bills. With a fourth stimulus package on the horizon, now is the time for debtors to get organized and fight for what’s right – full student loan abolition.

So canceling debt of Big Law associates who have starting pay at $190k+ bonus is the "right thing to do"? Canceling the debt of doctors how have a lifetime earnings potential in the millions -- 4x of an average tax payer -- is the right thing to do?

So canceling debt of Big Law associates who have starting pay at $190k+ bonus is the "right thing to do"? Canceling the debt of doctors how have a lifetime earnings potential in the millions -- 4x of an average tax payer -- is the right thing to do?
You can always think you can find someone who is "not deserving" of student debt cancellation. Usually people point to "slackers" but you pointing out professional occupations is something that deserves consideration.
Doctors and lawyers take on a high debt to learn their occupations. Some people think the reason they demand high salaries is because of this debt. Others think it's just greed. You could probably find lots of people with just an undergraduate education who most people would consider "worthy" of debt cancellation who are earning high salaries.
I don't think we can easily pick winners and losers in this race. Education should be free and open to all. Some will do well for themselves. Some will do well for others. Everyone should have the opportunity.

Reactions: msm859
You can always think you can find someone who is "not deserving" of student debt cancellation. Usually people point to "slackers" but you pointing out professional occupations is something that deserves consideration.
Doctors and lawyers take on a high debt to learn their occupations. Some people think the reason they demand high salaries is because of this debt. Others think it's just greed. You could probably find lots of people with just an undergraduate education who most people would consider "worthy" of debt cancellation who are earning high salaries.
I don't think we can easily pick winners and losers in this race. Education should be free and open to all. Some will do well for themselves. Some will do well for others. Everyone should have the opportunity.

Perhaps, but why should taxpayers be forced to pay for sleep-away private colleges when an instate public offers a great education. (hint: a certain Congressperson who goes by initials took out loans to attend Boston University when she had a fine public SUNY nearby. Why should a bus driver pay hire taxes to eliminate her debt?)

• Disagree
Reactions: msm859
Perhaps, but why should taxpayers be forced to pay for sleep-away private colleges when an instate public offers a great education. (hint: a certain Congressperson who goes by initials took out loans to attend Boston University when she had a fine public SUNY nearby. Why should a bus driver pay hire taxes to eliminate her debt?)
I don't think anyone is proposing the public pay for private schools going forward. Most developed countries that aren't the third world hellhole that is the US have free education at public schools.
The problem of existing student debt is a different issue. This is a huge drag on the economy and our young people created by lack of free public education. There are different proposals to cancel / modify this debt so that people can move on with their lives. Some people were taken advantage of by private diploma mills. Is that their fault or the fault of greedy fraudulent businessmen? Most student loans have very high interest rates compared to the cost of borrowing. When you consider that this is risk free money to the banks, they are also complicit.

Reactions: msm859 and jerry33
I don't think anyone is proposing the public pay for private schools going forward. Most developed countries that aren't the third world hellhole that is the US have free education at public schools.
The problem of existing student debt is a different issue. This is a huge drag on the economy and our young people created by lack of free public education. There are different proposals to cancel / modify this debt so that people can move on with their lives. Some people were taken advantage of by private diploma mills. Is that their fault or the fault of greedy fraudulent businessmen? Most student loans have very high interest rates compared to the cost of borrowing. When you consider that this is risk free money to the banks, they are also complicit.
Basically, students shouldn't be profit centres.

Reactions: mspohr
I’m not for eliminating all student debt, my feeling is if you cannot afford college go to a state college and get a job and work while you go to school. That is what I had to do and after that experience I appreciate my education much more than my wife does who had parents that could afford to send her off to a university.

I’m not for eliminating all student debt, my feeling is if you cannot afford college go to a state college and get a job and work while you go to school. That is what I had to do and after that experience I appreciate my education much more than my wife does who had parents that could afford to send her off to a university.
That worked a long time ago, but purchasing power for minimum wage jobs today means they have to work about 40 hours just to pay tuition. In addition, students are competing with retired folks because the government has screwed that as well.

Reactions: mspohr
What city would you rather live in?

MW-HI185_AirPol_20190424130149_ZQ.jpg

Or:

skyline.1800x1200.jpg

Oh, wait, it's the same city!

I guess all those ICE cars and airplanes really do cause unhealthy air! We can't get to all EV's quickly enough for me!

Doctors and lawyers take on a high debt to learn their occupations. Some people think the reason they demand high salaries is because of this debt. Others think it's just greed.

First, drop the lawyers, there are too many of them, resulting in many chasing ambulances.

As for doctors, I have seen youtube video of a doc being anti-Medicare for all, saying he deserves to be paid a high rate so he can pay off student loan and still have a meager income, blah blah blah. When the suggestion came up of "well what if your education was free and or your student loan is forgiven?", he started on a rant against free college. Bottom line, he incurred debt and is doing well to pay it down and when it's paid off, enjoy a very good life.

How about free degree (like military docs and nurses) in exchange for lower income for doctors and nurses so that people can afford medical care? So, basically, get your degree for free then you join the military or work at the VA for X years, then you can go practice outside?

Renewable energy to play a role in New York’s Covid-19 economic recovery

New legislation also creates the U.S.’s first Office of Renewable Energy Siting — charged with consolidating the environmental review of major renewable energy facilities and providing a single forum for ensuring that siting decisions are predictable, responsible and delivered in a timely manner with opportunities for input from local communities.

As part of this “build-ready” project sites initiative, NYSERDA is developing a program that will offer incentives to property owners and communities that host renewable energy facilities. Additionally, the Act directs the state’s Public Service Commission to create a program that provides utility bill discounts or other compensation that benefits the residents of host communities

Reactions: navguy12
Amsterdam to embrace 'doughnut' model to mend post-coronavirus economy

Amsterdam to embrace 'doughnut' model to mend post-coronavirus economy

The inner ring of her donut sets out the minimum we need to lead a good life, derived from the UN’s sustainable development goals and agreed by world leaders of every political stripe. It ranges from food and clean water to a certain level of housing, sanitation, energy, education, healthcare, gender equality, income and political voice. Anyone not attaining such minimum standards is living in the doughnut’s hole.

The outer ring of the doughnut, where the sprinkles go, represents the ecological ceiling drawn up by earth-system scientists. It highlights the boundaries across which human kind should not go to avoid damaging the climate, soils, oceans, the ozone layer, freshwater and abundant biodiversity.

Between the two rings is the good stuff: the dough, where everyone’s needs and that of the planet are being met.

Because the world is better off with an educated populace. There is not enough capacity at public colleges to educate everyone. And to those getting professional degrees and having a higher income, they should be "paying" it back with higher taxes.

Because the world is better off with an educated populace. There is not enough capacity at public colleges to educate everyone. And to those getting professional degrees and having a higher income, they should be "paying" it back with higher taxes.
Agreed the world is better off with an educated populace.

Not everyone has the desire or ability to go to collage, but everyone who does should. There's certainly enough capacity if we want it. Reducing budgets for eduction isn't they way to get more teachers and classrooms though.

Except for the ultra wealthy who pay no or minimal taxes, the more income you make the more tax you pay. That tax shouldn't be paid in the form on interest to banks that already have more money than is good for them. Students should be able to be concentrating on education, not on how they are going to pay for the next semester.

Not Just Restart but Economic Reset - Resilience

It should serve as a stunning existential wake up call that the only real winner in this crisis at this point is the planet. Air pollution is down, climate change emissions have dropped precipitously, water pollution is down – the canals of Venice actually look like water again! Even wildlife trafficking and consumption is down. All of this is happening because we’ve been forced to push pause on an economic system that “creates” stuff at the price of destroying natural systems and our planetary life support structures. The respite being delivered by the pandemic-induced time-out could be no clearer evidence that we have built a global economy that is dependent upon the destruction of our planetary life-support systems.

• while industry is at a slow down this is the time to put people to work upgrading, cleaning up and reducing carbon footprints of manufacturing facilities. Funding for these measures would be a smart component of governmental economic stimulus packages.
  • develop and invest in a massive workforce transformation campaign. This should include some of the lasting changes that are likely to result from this unprecedented time such as the shift to remote working, the increase in online shopping and associated delivery options. Another aspect of this should be an aggressive shift from employment in non-essential, highly polluting industries to employment that is productive for society.

The Horror Films Got it Wrong. This Virus has Turned us into Caring Neighbours - Resilience

You can watch neoliberalism collapsing in real time. Governments whose mission was to shrink the state, to cut taxes and borrowing and dismantle public services, are discovering that the market forces they fetishised cannot defend us from this crisis. The theory has been tested, and almost everywhere abandoned. It may not be true that there were no atheists in the trenches, but there are no neoliberals in a pandemic.

The shift is even more interesting than it first appears. Power has migrated not just from private money to the state, but from both market and state to another place altogether: the commons. All over the world, communities have mobilised where governments have failed.

Agreed the world is better off with an educated populace.

Not everyone has the desire or ability to go to collage, but everyone who does should. There's certainly enough capacity if we want it. Reducing budgets for eduction isn't they way to get more teachers and classrooms though.

Except for the ultra wealthy who pay no or minimal taxes, the more income you make the more tax you pay. That tax shouldn't be paid in the form on interest to banks that already have more money than is good for them. Students should be able to be concentrating on education, not on how they are going to pay for the next semester.

I guess it depends on your definition of ultra wealthy but the top 1% made about 21% of earnings and paid over 38% of income taxes in 2017. They actually paid more than the bottom 90%.
As far a college, me and my wife went to junior colleges which are much lower cost and then transferred to universities to get our degrees. I believe if you have children then you have some responsibility to help them get an education. Even if you can't afford to help pay for college you can at least encourage them to get good grades so they can get scholarships. In addition those going to school need to take responsibility in getting degrees that make economic sense. Let's face it there are a lot of folks that get degrees that are pretty much worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.