Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Green New Deal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Donald Trump's four-step plan to reopen the US economy – and why it will be lethal

Donald Trump's four-step plan to reopen the US economy – and why it will be lethal | Robert Reich

Remove income support, so people have no choice but to return to work.

Trump’s labor department has decided that furloughed employees “must accept” an employer’s offer to return to work and therefore forfeit unemployment benefits, regardless of Covid-19.

The first responsibility of a president is to keep the public safe. But Donald Trump couldn’t care less. He was slow to respond to the threat, then he lied about it, then made it hard for states – especially those with Democratic governors – to get the equipment they need.

Now he’s trying to force the economy to reopen in order to boost his electoral chances this November, and he’s selling out Americans’ health to seal the deal. This is beyond contemptible.

During Coronavirus, Trump Sits on Clean Energy Loans Billions in Clean Energy Loans Go Unused as Coronavirus Ravages Economy

“We’re searching high and low all over Washington, D.C., for money to put people back to work and here we have more than $40 billion,” said Dan Reicher, executive director of the Steyer-Taylor Center for Energy Policy and Finance at Stanford University, who served at the Energy Department under President Bill Clinton. “This is the moment to really put these programs back in gear.”

“They haven’t put out any or almost any of these loans since he’s become president,” said Representative Frank Pallone Jr. of New Jersey, chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. “There’s an ideological or political aspect to this. The president is not someone who seeks to promote the clean energy sector.”

Exporting surplus during the day and importing at night. But you knew that.

It's counter productive to store energy instead of displacing the fools fuel your neighbors are using until your neighbor begins behaving responsibly and don't need energy imports when there's sufficient wind or sun... but you probably knew that too.....

If you're displacing >100GWh of fools fuel and using <90GWh of fools fuel that's >100% renewable because math.... pretty sure you also know that.

Hopefully the morons next door begin behaving responsibly and storage will eventually make sense..... stop letting your misguided ideology get in the way of what you already know.....

If there's fools fuel generation that can be displaced through exporting then storing energy makes ZERO sense...

Bulk Energy Storage Increases United States Electricity System Emissions

I agree it works great as long as you have others providing backup. I thought the idea is for total renewable. So if the morons next door also go all solar and wind how will it work without massive storage. Not only day to night but also summer to winter.

I agree it works great as long as you have others providing backup. I thought the idea is for total renewable. So if the morons next door also go all solar and wind how will it work without massive storage. Not only day to night but also summer to winter.

Looking at CA, one of the most advanced states, looks like there's still a lot of capacity left before hitting that brick wall. We're currently seeing amazing renewable saturation in late Spring/early Summer plus the whole COVID-19 situation. Current daily demand of 30GWh vs probably 40-50 GWh.

Today's Demand vs July 2006.
upload_2020-5-3_12-10-43.png

Will be different in mid/late Summer when restrictions gets lifted.

upload_2020-5-3_12-9-14.png

Plus, plenty of opportunity to offer special deals for EV owners during time of excess production. See TX!

Texas Energy Provider Gives Free Power at Night to Electric Car Owners

Free Nights & Solar Days: 100% Free at Night. 100% Solar All Day

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: juliusa
Do you think he should be mentioned?

I think the GND is a bigger idea than just one person.
The GND is bigger than one person, but it also represents a real problem for people who do well under the current way of doing things.

I'm not suprised the NYT didn't mention him.

(IMO) some folks involved with running the Democratic party seem to fear a Bernie Sanders (policy) victory more than a "defeat" to Donald Trump.

Reactions: jerry33 and JRP3
These two links are a lucid rebuttle to the documentary titled, "Planet of the Humans" and are worth the 20 minutes to read thru.

The first link is the direct rebuttle: Planet of the humans: A reheated mess of lazy, old myths

The second, follow up companion to the first deals with more detailed minutia of things like battery backup, etc. Within it, read the section on the modeling that has been done for Australia. "Massive" storage (as a total percentage of available generation capacity) is not required. Based on the model discussed, less than 2% of generating capacity has to be storage, with variable renewable energy sources representing 68% of capacity: This is where hard work got us (another post about the bad film)

Reactions: mspohr and nwdiver

.... the point is that you don't need massive storage until the morons that are still pathetically addicted to fools fuel finally break their addiction.... -OR- you're over-producing enough to meet their need.

You're confusing lack of viability with lack of necessity. When it makes sense to store energy daily then seasonally we'll store energy daily then seasonally. What do you think came first? Bombers or Anti-Aircraft guns? ...... so...... why do you think massive storage would come before the benefit of massive storage????

Clearly it's feasible.

Hydrogen electrolysis using renewable energy begins at 10MW Fukushima plant

Wow, renewable provided 80% of grid capacity today at 1700! Maybe PG&E needs to shift peak another hour later (1600 mid peak then 1700 peak). This will encourage A/C usage to 1600 (1 more hour) which would reduce the slope of the evening ramp.

See Total Demand at 1700 of 21GWh:
California ISO - Todays Outlook

vs Total Renewable Supply at 1700 of 14GWh
California ISO - Supply

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: juliusa
BTW, would be great to at least have managed charging with additional smarts to normally charge to 70% and allow to charge to 100% when utility offers free charging. This will also reduce night time charging (in CA) which means less fossil fuel generation and less fossil fuel generated imports. TX has a great problem when it comes to EV charging overnight.

EV Managed Charging: Lessons from Utility Pilot Programs | SEPA

• Disagree
Reactions: juliusa and nwdiver
It definitely is, but Bernie is one of the few standing politicians that can make the moral case for universal health care as he has been doing so for years.
100% agree.

In some sort of parallel universe, if he was unhindered by the embedded agenda that fights him at every step of the way, his aims of a GND, single payer health care system and student debt relief would be realized over the next four years.

My hope is that he can, at least, play a major role going forward.

More...

“We address it through things like the Earned Income Tax Credit,” Buffett told Yahoo Finance's editor-in-chief, Andy Serwer, in March. At the time, he repeated again that “anybody that works 40 hours a week, and has a couple of kids, that they don't need a second job in the family. They can have a decent life.”

In other words, increasing the EITC can help more people feel part of the economic system.

" think that's a better system. What they need is more money in their pocket. Now, you can do more money in the pocket through a minimum wage, but you don't [have] as many people working. You need something so they have money in their pocket. And we can do that, and that does require, in my view, it requires higher taxes on people that ... were born into this world with peculiar talents that marvelously now, and 200 years ago, they would have been out there picking corn with me,” Buffett told Yahoo Finance.

Status
Not open for further replies.