Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green New Deal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nuclear can do it but greenies are against it. It drives me crazy when folks complain about C02 and are against nuclear and even hydroelectric. If you really believe C02 is going to end the world why would you be against them.
Because unlike you those "greenies" are smart enough to know that nuclear takes too long to build, is not cost effective, and has serious waste problems and inherent danger. Hydroelectric often damages ecosystems, though I think there are ways to do it with less impact.

Why Americans Need a Guaranteed Income Opinion | Why Americans Need a Guaranteed Income

Nancy Pelosi, the speaker of the House, on Monday said what many in her caucus have been saying for weeks: A guaranteed income to help Americans struggling because of the coronavirus pandemic is “worthy of attention.” As recently as just a few months ago, an income guarantee was widely written off as unrealistic. But two-thirds of the members of the House Democratic caucus now support the idea of some kind of cash payment that would continue until the end of the crisis.

The pandemic may have precipitated this change of heart, but the pandemic alone isn’t why we need a guaranteed income. The American economy is plagued by instability and fragility, much of it caused by staggering levels of inequality. If we want to create a more resilient economy and country, a guaranteed income should be permanent American policy, not just an emergency measure to help with this crisis.

The United States needs a new economic framework designed for resiliency in the face of disruption and change. A guaranteed income — one that would provide $1,000 for every adult and $500 per child per month — should be its centerpiece.

Could have used a few megapacks today in California. Curtailed both solar and wind.

upload_2020-5-1_21-32-5.png

• Disagree
Reactions: juliusa
Right - we have so much low hanging fruit to use that electricity better before batteries.

But May in a Pandemic - yeah we have too much solar already for that.

I have a new house with 2 EVs. Solar covered 65% in 2019 and I never had a zeroed out month in 2019.

April (2020) I 30% overgenerated. May will be 50% likely. I live in an area where we lose any credits on May 31. So I have to consider becoming the neighborhood charging station. 10 EVs on my block. Except... social distancing. Should have put an outside charger in.....

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12 and mspohr
The pandemic has made the US healthcare crisis far more dire. We must fix the system

The pandemic has made the US healthcare crisis far more dire. We must fix the system | Bernie Sanders and Pramila Jayapal

When it comes to our current healthcare system, the waste, cruelty and dysfunction was glaringly obvious even before the horrific pandemic we are now experiencing. Today, as millions of Americans lose their jobs and their healthcare benefits that come with them, it is now virtually impossible for any rational person to defend a system – unique among wealthy countries – that ties healthcare to employment, and is designed only to make huge profits for the insurance industry and drug companies, while ignoring the needs of ordinary Americans.

But it’s not just the high cost and growing number of uninsured that expose the irrationality of the current system. It’s that the current “system” makes absolutely no sense to anyone. It is an incredibly byzantine and complicated collection of independent entities without a common purpose – except greed.

Further, our public health system is incredibly weak, in part because of consistent federal disinvestment and austerity that have decimated too many public health agencies. In most states, we lack the capability to significantly increase the level of coronavirus testing and contact tracing we need to begin to safely reopen the economy.

Reactions: jerry33
I think he's living in his own reality.
With people I know suddenly using "Planet of the Humans" as an excuse to continue to do nothing, I found these two (IMO) well written critiques that I have passed onto these same people to have a better (2020) view of the state of the art:

https://ketanjoshi.co/2020/04/24/planet-of-the-humans-a-reheated-mess-of-lazy-old-myths/

This is where hard work got us (another post about the bad film)

The second link talks about scenarios (run in Australia) that show how a grid with 68% renewables would only need 1.4% of the generation capacity as battery storage.

Reactions: nwdiver and mspohr
City leaders aim to shape green recovery from coronavirus crisis

City leaders aim to shape green recovery from coronavirus crisis

Cities around the world are already planning for life after Covid-19, with a series of environmental initiatives being rolled out from Bogotá to Barcelona to ensure public safety and bolster the fight against climate breakdown.

Mayors from cities in Europe, the US and Africa held talks this week to coordinate their efforts to support a low-carbon, sustainable recovery from the crisis as national governments begin to implement huge economic stimulus packages.

“We are talking about collectively creating funds that they all put money into which would then support electric vehicles, support rollout of cycle lanes, support retrofitting of buildings … C40 cities using the hundreds of millions of dollars in their pension funds for this and getting very good long-term returns.”

Reactions: navguy12
Since they say this is from solar how is it providing power at night?

Exporting surplus during the day and importing at night. But you knew that.

It's counter productive to store energy instead of displacing the fools fuel your neighbors are using until your neighbor begins behaving responsibly and don't need energy imports when there's sufficient wind or sun... but you probably knew that too.....

If you're displacing >100GWh of fools fuel and using <90GWh of fools fuel that's >100% renewable because math.... pretty sure you also know that.

Hopefully the morons next door begin behaving responsibly and storage will eventually make sense..... stop letting your misguided ideology get in the way of what you already know.....

If there's fools fuel generation that can be displaced through exporting then storing energy makes ZERO sense...

Bulk Energy Storage Increases United States Electricity System Emissions

Last edited:
Arguing with Zombies review: Paul Krugman trumps the Republicans

Arguing with Zombies review: Paul Krugman trumps the Republicans

When I was 15, I acted as the translator for my uncle Jerry’s family on a tour of the grand chateaux of the Loire Valley. As we traipsed through one spectacular example of conspicuous consumption after another, my deeply progressive uncle kept repeating the same question: “What took them so long to start the revolution?”

If our present calamity is finally enough to force the climate-change-denying, poor-people-hating Republican party from the White House and the Senate, one can only hope the popular imagination will be stirred as it was in Paris in 1793.

Reactions: navguy12
Status
Not open for further replies.