Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green New Deal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was not an endless supply of cheap labor, real wages would rise. That is why it only costs the rich guy $20 to get his lawn cut. Without the endless supply of cheap labor, he would have to open up his wallet and spend $40 to have his lawn cut.

Why? When this is $1500.

>7M people in the US have lost their jobs to a machine since 2004. If you think all those people found newer better jobs how is immigration any different? According to you they both just take jobs no one wants and they find a better one....

Last edited:
7M in 15 years. Unemployment is 3.7%. So we'll lose another 7M from automation and phase out of the fossil fuel industry over the next 15 years. I just don't see what the big deal is.

So why is immigration a 'big deal'?

Just that 7M is already weighing on society and the economy. AND the rate of loss is accelerating...

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 12.53.59 PM.png

Society perhaps. Economy no. 3.7% unemployment.

Suicide seems to be up across the board - not just midlife.
View attachment 455192

Unemployment only includes people actively looking for work. Labor force participation is the number of people working at it's at its lowest level since the end of the Vietnam War (I don't believe this number includes Military either). Unemployment also doesn't include people that are 'underemployed'.

59315c15b74af41b008b5ee2-750-500.png

Can't make people work if they don't want to in this country. But rising wages will entice them - which will not happen as long as the government and business conspire to keep them low by importing a steady supply of cheap labor.

LOL! That's not how math works. If an immigrant is performing a job that either would have not been performed or would have been performed by a machine that person is adding a consumer to the economy and reducing unemployment. Immigrants are not the cause of unemployment that's a myth perpetuated by ignorant bigots. It's a ratio of workers to consumers the will cause the problem. Immigration 'helps' the ratio.

If labor costs rise do you think that will accelerate the pace of automation? What's better for the economy, 10M jobs lost to machines or 10M jobs performed by immigrants?

If you want wages to increase the best solution is a population that doesn't have to work. I quit my job that paid ~$45/hr because it wasn't worth my time and I have other income. If they offered me $60/hr I'd think about it. But a machine could probably do it for less anyway.....

Last edited:
If labor costs rise do you think that will accelerate the pace of automation?
Yes. Not an issue.
What's better for the economy, 10M jobs lost to machines or 10M jobs performed by immigrants?
A false choice, but I'll play along. 10M jobs lost to machines. Increased productivity is a good thing.
If you want wages to increase the best solution is a population that doesn't have to work.
Yes. See above. Productivity is a good thing. So why are you concerned about robots?
I quit my job that paid ~$45/hr because it wasn't worth my time and I have other income.
Exactly!! You VOLUNTARILY dropped out of the labor force. Do you think you are "special" and make decision that other rich people "that no longer need to work" do not? I saw you posted about FIRE - you are not alone, my friend!

Perhaps a 50% labor participation rate will be the norm, and everyone will be happy. Economy does not need the workers due to productivity (robots). People do not need the work because they are rich See - economics at work.

But if companies are short of workers, they will pay more and lure people (like you) back to the work force that were too rich to work before. Maybe work part time to pick up some extra cash.

But PLEASE keep the government out of it - we don't need them to mucking it up. Maybe they will take away all private assets so nobody and pursue FIRE. How would you like that?

Yes. Not an issue.

How do we keep the consumer base from eroding? What magic occupation can people transition to? Does more better technology make more better jobs for horses?

And sadly yes I am 'special' or at least unusual. I'm literally the only person I know <60 with the financial independence I have..... I've decoupled work from income by investing. Most people appear unable to do this for various reasons. We need to help them or the economy will stagnate because it needs consumers.

But if companies are short of workers, they will pay more and lure people (like you) back to the work force that were too rich to work before. Maybe work part time to pick up some extra cash.

No. They'll automate and robots aren't good consumers. Who buys the production? The FIRE crowd is no where near big enough and even we'll be out of $$$ when the market collapses.

[QUOTE="nwdiver, post: 4018529, member: 12472And wages are not rising. Any real increase in wages will likely just cross the inflection point for automation and instead of a higher paying job that job will just evaporate.

For most U.S. workers, real wages have barely budged in decades[/QUOTE]
Unless you are a CEO, executive, or wall street banker. Those wages have risen at the cost of everyone else. Unfortunately, they've risen so much that they've taken money out of the economy because those people don't spend all that much. The problem is not immigrants, legal or otherwise, the problem is income inequality.

Reactions: nwdiver
How do we keep the consumer base from eroding?
Unless population goes away, we have consumers.
What magic occupation can people transition to?
Seems you transitioned to "retired" and are still a consumer. Sounds like a good occupation to transition to - and some would call it "magic". FIRE!!
I'm literally the only person I know <60 with the financial independence I have.
Too funny!! 6% of families have $1M dollars!! Are you part of the FIRE community? LOTS of people under 60 that have achieved their goal. Maybe that is part of the drop in labor participation rate.
Most people appear unable to do this for various reasons.
Yep! Some people spend everything - whether they make $50k a year, $500k a year, or $5M a year. Smart people, dumb people - all sorts of people.
Who buys the production?
People. They are not going away. They need to eat, and need smart phones and large screen TVs. Go into the poorest neighborhoods in Baltimore and you will see.
Unless you are a CEO, executive, or wall street banker.
Does that describe you, @nwdiver?
The FIRE crowd is no where near big enough and even we'll be out of $$$ when the market collapses.
Ye of little faith. Relax, my friend. Economics is a powerful force that self-corrects. As long as government does not muck it up too much.
The problem is not immigrants, legal or otherwise, the problem is income inequality.
The economy will fix that. The rich people like their lifestyle, and know pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. They want to maintain, but know if there is too much disparity their will be a revolution - "off with their heads!!". Taxes on the rich will go up, and they will gladly pay. Economics is a powerful force that self-corrects. As long as the government does not muck it up too much.

Too funny!! 6% of families have $1M dollars!! Are you part of the FIRE community? LOTS of people under 60 that have achieved their goal. Maybe that is part of the drop in labor participation rate.

Not sure what percent of the population needs to be an active consumer but I'm pretty sure it's >>> 6%. So a future like Elysium wouldn't bother you? 6% trades between themselves tended by robots on an island and 94% live in abject poverty. If your great-great-great grandparents set you up you're fine but if your income is still coupled to work you're screwed.

People. They are not going away. They need to eat, and need smart phones and large screen TVs. Go into the poorest neighborhoods in Baltimore and you will see.

If income is coupled to work and we need 4 consumers per worker with what? A smile? Will that be the new currency? Bit coins and smiles? 3 winks for a hamburger? A smile and a handshake for a TV?

How do we keep the consumer base from eroding? What magic occupation can people transition to? Does more better technology make more better jobs for horses?

Last edited:
Not sure what percent of the population needs to be an active consumer but I'm pretty sure it's >>> 6%. So a future like Elysium wouldn't bother you? 6% trades between themselves tended by robots on an island and 94% live in abject poverty. If your great-great-great grandparents set you up you're fine but if your income is still coupled to work you're screwed.

If income is coupled to work and we need 4 consumers per worker with what? A smile?

There are jobs that people do better than automation, such as call centres and programming. Unfortunately most of these jobs have been moved to India or some such. The other problem is mergers. Every time there is a merger consumers suffer in two ways. First competition is less so prices are higher, and second every time two companies merge the workforce is reduced by the number of people in the smaller company (generally this is across the entire company, not just the smaller company). Also since there are fewer executives, there are fewer executive class houses built, etc. And the wages that would have gone to consumers in the U.S. now goes to India. So there could be an outsourcing tax and have mergers (of large companies) be a very, very rare thing.

There are jobs that people do better than automation, such as call centres and programming.

Not for long. This is why machine leaning is such a game changer. Machines are beginning to do things that no person could have programmed them to do. The only jobs where machines won't soon displace people is where you WANT a person face-2-face. Those jobs are rather rare and certainly cannot support the economy.

Not sure what percent of the population needs to be an active consumer but I'm pretty sure it's >>> 6%.
The 3% can drop out of the workforce and remain consumers with their riches and (eventually) their SS income. Labor participation rate goes down by 3% to offset the lost jobs. Problem solved.
So a future like Elysium wouldn't bother you? 6% trades between themselves tended by robots on an island and 94% live in abject poverty.
I guess you missed this part. Income disparity does not end well for the rich. They know it.
The economy will fix that. The rich people like their lifestyle, and know pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. They want to maintain, but know if there is too much disparity their will be a revolution - "off with their heads!!". Taxes on the rich will go up, and they will gladly pay. Economics is a powerful force that self-corrects. As long as the government does not muck it up too much.
if income is coupled to work
Yes, until you retire. FIRE baby!! Increased productivity will mean people can work shorter weeks and retire earlier.

There are jobs that people do better than automation, such as call centres and programming.
Picking fruit. Damn robots bruise what they don't smush. And putting insulation in cars - as Elon found out. They will get better over time.
Not so sure about call centers and writing code. I think computers will write better code than people, and chatbots will handle call centers better too - in any language and accent you want. They will start out with a foreign accent that is hard to understand to fool you into thinking you are talking to a human.

The 3% can drop out of the workforce and remain consumers with their riches and (eventually) their SS income. Labor participation rate goes down by 3% to offset the lost jobs. Problem solved.

~25% of jobs are at 'high risk' of automation. And most people that lose their jobs to automation won't have the skill level to take the jobs of the 3%. ~80% of the population can't do the job I quit without ~4 years of training.

I don't think we can all become barbers.... but I agree that will probably be one of the last jobs to be lost to automation if ever.

The problem isn't that all jobs will be lost to automation but more than enough and soon to cause a lot of problems if we don't decouple income from labor. ~59% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck and have nothing to fall back on.

~25% of jobs are at 'high risk' of automation.
The more the better. Farm automation eliminated 40%. We survived.
The problem isn't that all jobs will be lost to automation but more than enough and soon
I love that word "soon". Cars will drive themselves - "soon".
soon to cause a lot of problems if we don't decouple income from labor.
We have been doing this. I expect it will continue to expand. Government continually expanding transfer payments or services.
Welfare: 1935
Housing: 1938
Social security: 1940
Food stamps: 1964
Medicare/Medicaid: 1965
WIC: 1972
Pell Grants: 1972
TANF: 1996
CHIP: 1997
ACA: 2010

Last edited:
The more the better. Farm automation eliminated 40%. We survived.

We didn't have machines teaching machines in the 1950s. We grew employment in other sectors. Industry 4.0 is CUTTING employment in ALL sectors simultaneously.

If we need 4 consumers for every 1 worker and only 6% of people have their income decoupled from work where do the other ~2 consumers come from? Do all the factories just work at half capacity? When we need 9 consumers for every 1 worker do we run factories at ~15% capacity?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.