Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grey Next Generation Seats And Denim Jeans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP, try a search... Several threads and posts dealing with "dye" or "blue jean" transfer already exist here on TMC. FWIW, the issue is not unique to Tesla and it occurs on all colors, it's just more noticeable on lighter varieties. Even if you had black leather, you'll eventually transfer blue to them, or they'll get dirty, and it will come off if the seats are cleaned. ;) The net of what I do is this:

Every time you wash your MS:
Use a clean rag (terry or MF) that is slightly damp, not soggy, and wipe down all leather inside your vehicle. Leather is a natural material, and frankly, like our own skin, benefits from hydration and just keeping it clean.​

To clean (and condition to help make stains easier to get off the leather -- but not alcantara), I've successfully used two sets of products for many years on nearly every color leather imaginable from Tesla, MBZ, BMW and Lexus. It's your choice as to which ones to use. I frankly have bounced between the two over many years, but the last few years generally use the Leather Master product on my lighter colored seats, with the Zaino products on my doors/dash to pick up the benefit of the smell I enjoy in the Zaino Conditioner. Other than the smell, I'm not personally convinced though there is a huge difference between them, but I do try to stay with the same mfgr cleaner and conditioner on the same vehicle. Note that people debate if there is value in using a leather conditioner, and that discussion will vary based on different types of leather one may have in different vehicles, so I won't go into that except to say, my process using one of these conditioners every few weeks, for me on my grey MS nextgen seats, makes getting any eventual dirt or blue jean transfer off a whole lot easier than if it's not applied. Cleaning my seats is a few minute project every few weeks, including application of conditioner after they have quickly dried -- no big deal.

1. Leather Master
  • Leather Cleaner -- spray on, let dwell for a moment, and using a clean MF, remove any dirt or blue jean transfer. I do this every few weeks, followed by an application of
  • Leather Protection Cream -- on dry clean leather, apply some product, wipe on, let dry
  • (Optional) Leather Master Ink Lifter -- if you ever get some ballpoint pen on your seats, this stick does help get it back off

2. Zaino
  • Z9 Leather Soft Spray Cleaner -- apply like above
  • Z10 Leather Conditioner -- apply like above. Key thing I really like about this is the lingering new leather smell it provides.
FWIW, I personally don't recommend using "magic erasers" on things like my coated leather seats. Some brands come with warnings about their use on painted, polished and easily scratched surfaces. As such, I keep them for other purposes.

There are many other product choices, and variants how to accomplish their application, just as there is for most anything related to detailing one's ride -- but those are mine FWIW. Good luck, and if useful, THIS PAGE on my personal website has the more complete processes and products I use to maintain the interior of my MS. There's another page for exterior, accessible from there as well.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David29 and mikevbf
I use me guides interior cleaning spray and it works well. I've read that magic erasers work well also.
I don't know for sure, but I suspect a Magic Eraser is a really bad idea. Magic Erasers are a fine abrasive. I'd think the last thing you want to be doing is scratching up your leather seats. If nothing else, all the micro-scratches will probably make them more prone to staining in the future.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect a Magic Eraser is a really bad idea. Magic Erasers are a fine abrasive. I'd think the last thing you want to be doing is scratching up your leather seats. If nothing else, all the micro-scratches will probably make them more prone to staining in the future.

Makes sense and probably wouldn't notice until it's too late. I'm sure a few uses wouldn't hurt but using it consistently could be a bad idea.

OP, try a search... Several threads and posts dealing with "dye" or "blue jean" transfer already exist here on TMC. FWIW, the issue is not unique to Tesla and it occurs on all colors, it's just more noticeable on lighter varieties. Even if you had black leather, you'll eventually transfer blue to them, or they'll get dirty, and it will come off if the seats are cleaned. ;) The net of what I do is this:

Every time you wash your MS:
Use a clean rag (terry or MF) that is slightly damp, not soggy, and wipe down all leather inside your vehicle. Leather is a natural material, and frankly, like our own skin, benefits from hydration and just keeping it clean.​

To clean (and condition to help make stains easier to get off the leather -- but not alcantara), I've successfully used two sets of products for many years on nearly every color leather imaginable from Tesla, MBZ, BMW and Lexus. It's your choice as to which ones to use. I frankly have bounced between the two over many years, but the last few years generally use the Leather Master product on my lighter colored seats, with the Zaino products on my doors/dash to pick up the benefit of the smell I enjoy in the Zaino Conditioner. Other than the smell, I'm not personally convinced though there is a huge difference between them, but I do try to stay with the same mfgr cleaner and conditioner on the same vehicle. Note that people debate if there is value in using a leather conditioner, and that discussion will vary based on different types of leather one may have in different vehicles, so I won't go into that except to say, my process using one of these conditioners every few weeks, for me on my grey MS nextgen seats, makes getting any eventual dirt or blue jean transfer off a whole lot easier than if it's not applied. Cleaning my seats is a few minute project every few weeks, including application of conditioner after they have quickly dried -- no big deal.

1. Leather Master
  • Leather Cleaner -- spray on, let dwell for a moment, and using a clean MF, remove any dirt or blue jean transfer. I do this every few weeks, followed by an application of
  • Leather Protection Cream -- on dry clean leather, apply some product, wipe on, let dry
  • (Optional) Leather Master Ink Lifter -- if you ever get some ballpoint pen on your seats, this stick does help get it back off

2. Zaino
  • Z9 Leather Soft Spray Cleaner -- apply like above
  • Z10 Leather Conditioner -- apply like above. Key thing I really like about this is the lingering new leather smell it provides.
FWIW, I personally don't recommend using "magic erasers" on things like my coated leather seats. Some brands come with warnings about their use on painted, polished and easily scratched surfaces. As such, I keep them for other purposes.

There are many other product choices, and variants how to accomplish their application, just as there is for most anything related to detailing one's ride -- but those are mine FWIW. Good luck, and if useful, THIS PAGE on my personal website has the more complete processes and products I use to maintain the interior of my MS. There's another page for exterior, accessible from there as well.
Thank you very much! I was on mobile and a bit frustrated, so I asked before doing a search. Sorry, I'm new here and really appreciate your response!