Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gridserve Charger Sites in UK [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice. Hopefully this gradually becomes as common as motorway services and gradually quietens the cries of "but where will everyone charge!" in discussions about increased uptake of EVs.
I really like the concept, and Gridserve have big ambitions here, however I do wonder how quickly they will be able to scale out the EF network in this country which is hampered by sometimes err ‘challenging’ planning restrictions and also grid capacity issues.

Taking the supercharger network for comparison it has taken Tesla about 6 years to open approx. 60 SC sites, on average 10 per year roughly. The EF proposals are much larger 24 to 40 stalls per site with more bells and whistles. I don’t think they will be able to scale at nearly the same rate, not without huge investment or partnership with either an auto manufacturer or dare I say it a petroleum company that is looking for a transformation partner.

Hopefully they will be able to build half a dozen or sites to prove the model works.

As long as the facilities are open 24/7 I'm game. That’s one of the bad things with the recent Service Centre roll out of Superchargers. Shame they can’t have a door on a code for 24/7 access to the toilets / coffee with the PIN shown on car’s Nav- similar to kettleman city and Vegas

Reactions: Sean. and ringi
really like the concept, and Gridserve have big ambitions here, however I do wonder how quickly they will be able to scale out the EF network in this country which is hampered by sometimes err ‘challenging’ planning restrictions and also grid capacity issues

The sites are being chosen based on access to the grid and they are large enough scale to connect at 33kv if needed. As getting a road connection is often easyer then a grid connection, developing new "services" sites based on where grid connection are easy makes sence compared to trying to add large charging clusters to all existing service stations.

They also also using the "higher class" common of EV owners to target higher end retail and food

Reactions: Ant M3
I suspect the associated retail outlets will be the real profit generating elements at these sites, much as they are at motorway services, and even ordinary filling stations.

There has to be a pretty synergistic link between rapid charging and some types of retail, it's probably better than retail at conventional filling stations. When someone stops to charge, they will have 20 minutes or more free, and that has to be an ideal opportunity to sell them stuff.

I suspect the associated retail outlets will be the real profit generating elements at these sites, much as they are at motorway services, and even ordinary filling stations.

There has to be a pretty synergistic link between rapid charging and some types of retail, it's probably better than retail at conventional filling stations. When someone stops to charge, they will have 20 minutes or more free, and that has to be an ideal opportunity to sell them stuff.
Absolutely....unless the (non-Tesla) recharge rate is £20....

Someone on SpeakEV has searched companies house and found the following;

—-
All these names are registered as Electric Forecourt Ltd with Companies House. This could indicate present and future projects. I thought that I came across one that was dissolved, but can’t find it now. That may indicate that the project fell through.

Braintree
Plymouth Centre
Eton
Dover
Markham Vale
Newark South
Yeovil
Leeds West
Warwick South
Gateshead
Norwich East
Gatwick
Stevenage
Minehead Solar
Uckfield Solar

In the case of Warwick South, an Environment Impact Assessment has been requested on land at Bishops Tachbrook.

Some of the sites will be directly connected to Solar Farms

—-
All these names are registered as Electric Forecourt Ltd with Companies House. This could indicate present and future projects. I thought that I came across one that was dissolved, but can’t find it now. That may indicate that the project fell through.

Braintree
Plymouth Centre
Eton
Dover
Markham Vale
Newark South
Yeovil
Leeds West
Warwick South
Gateshead
Norwich East
Gatwick
Stevenage
Minehead Solar
Uckfield Solar

In the case of Warwick South, an Environment Impact Assessment has been requested on land at Bishops Tachbrook.

OK thats the English list. Now can we have the list for Wales please.............

• Funny
Reactions: CMc1
OK thats the English list. Now can we have the list for Wales please.............
Apparently the problem with Wales in general is poor grid connections - and an expectation that anyone wanting to put in a facility that needs higher capacity will also pay for the grid upgrades. I read somewhere that the proposed Supercharger at Builth Wells is held up for this reason - and as it was it would have needed to be taken off line for a couple of weeks each year when the Royal Welsh Show was being held. Feels like a real lack of vision from the government to access some funding to help with this (surely funding exists?).

Reactions: ringi
upload_2020-11-2_17-43-36.jpeg

Braintree Electric Forecourt

• Informative
Reactions: NorfolkMustard
Looks like they’ve be put some effort/money into that. The inside of the building looks a lot better than I was expecting. Lots of wood*

agree with the comments in another place, they may postpone until 2nd Dec

(Moved from supercharger thread, better thread for the non-supercharger chat probably)

*no, not that.

If they were already open no doubt they would stay open, but it makes sense I think to postpone a grand-opening.

Lots of people would have been making a special trip for that on the first weekend.

if those slides were from a presentation they did today though, perhaps they’ve set the date knowing we’ll be in lockdown. One way of making it a soft start.

—-

Braintree
Plymouth Centre
Eton
Dover
Markham Vale
Newark South
Yeovil
Leeds West
Warwick South
Gateshead
Norwich East
Gatwick
Stevenage
Minehead Solar
Uckfield Solar

Shame this in not helping the desert in the southern section of the M25

Reactions: rlasry1