Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gridserve Charger Sites in UK [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few days ago (most likely with Fully Charged Show)

upload_2020-11-15_16-26-40.png

Reactions: Alwayshopeful
Someone on SpeakEV has searched companies house and found the following;

—-
All these names are registered as Electric Forecourt Ltd with Companies House. This could indicate present and future projects. I thought that I came across one that was dissolved, but can’t find it now. That may indicate that the project fell through.

Braintree
Plymouth Centre
Eton
Dover
Markham Vale
Newark South
Yeovil
Leeds West
Warwick South
Gateshead
Norwich East
Gatwick
Stevenage
Minehead Solar
Uckfield Solar

In the case of Warwick South, an Environment Impact Assessment has been requested on land at Bishops Tachbrook.

Some of the sites will be directly connected to Solar Farms
List now updated as of September 18th for potential sites. (From SpeakEV)

“SpeakEV” said:
Braintree
Plymouth Centre
Eton
Dover
Markham Vale
Newark South
Yeovil
Leeds West
Warwick South
Gateshead
Norwich East
Gatwick
Stevenage
Minehead Solar
Uckfield Solar

On the 18th of September Newark South Electric Forecourt Limited was renamed Bromborough and this has been registered with Companies House. My geography isn’t very good. Is this simply a name change or a location change?

Apparently the problem with Wales in general is poor grid connections - and an expectation that anyone wanting to put in a facility that needs higher capacity will also pay for the grid upgrades. I read somewhere that the proposed Supercharger at Builth Wells is held up for this reason - and as it was it would have needed to be taken off line for a couple of weeks each year when the Royal Welsh Show was being held. Feels like a real lack of vision from the government to access some funding to help with this (surely funding exists?).
There is truth in this .... the big power lines only serve the south coast of wales

There is truth in this .... the big power lines only serve the south coast of wales

Well that sucks:(

Erm....not quite true. Mid- Wales maybe.

Nuclear power on Anglesey (Wylfa) and in North Wales (Trawsfynydd) both in decommissioning. Electric Mountaun pumped storage at Llanberis. There’s no shortage of power lines in North Wales but definitely a shortage of ultra rapids.

Network route maps | National Grid ET
Might want to see this if haven’t already £30m investment by Welsh Govt for EV infrastructure

So is it 24p at all speeds or is it starting at 24p and going up for 350kW?

Yes, some details are missing. The part that concerned me was that they are looking to develop some kind of subscription deals. Nobody buys other fuel on that basis so I wish charging companies should drop that idea and stick to the tap-to-pay (or just plug in and have card charged automatically like Tesla) that every EV user wants.

The first charging site that my disabled wife would be happy to use year round. But the Tesla chargers don't have protection from ice/snow risks when plugging in unlike the other chargers.

At 24p kwh it is cheaper then InterVolt but the meal is likely to cost a lot more then at a InterVolt site.

Reactions: Andrew_SE23
The part that concerned me was that they are looking to develop some kind of subscription deals. Nobody buys other fuel on that basis

There is a big issue with company car drivers and the admin with them reclaiming charging costs, including the management of charging costs at home for work driving. Maybe they will solve that.

Remember that most of the cost is not the fuel, it is the capital cost of the sites, hence a subscription like a gym may make sence.

Who is the electric supplier for Gridserve? Wonder if they’ll partner with Octopus Energy on their Juice Network
According to the Fully Charged video posted earlier today they have their own solar farm and so claim to supply themselves, albeit by trading off the Forecourt's usage against what they produce for the grid. They're also using the on-site 6MWh battery for grid storage & balancing, which will itself be netting them a decent secondary revenue stream.

GRIDSERVE PURCHASES CLAYHILL SOLAR FARM TO SUPPLY FIRST ELECTRIC FORECOURT® AND #DELIVER NET ZERO | Gridserve

Last edited:
Reactions: ringi
Yes, some details are missing. The part that concerned me was that they are looking to develop some kind of subscription deals. Nobody buys other fuel on that basis so I wish charging companies should drop that idea and stick to the tap-to-pay (or just plug in and have card charged automatically like Tesla) that every EV user wants.

They said on the Fully Charged video that they are looking at introducing vehicle recognition, ie the first time you use one you register and pay, thereafter it remembers your car and you simply plug in as you do at a supercharger.