Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gridserve Charger Sites in UK [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the Fully Charged video posted earlier today they have their own solar farm and so claim to supply themselves, albeit by trading off the Forecourt's usage against what they produce for the grid. They're also using the on-site 6MWh battery for grid storage & balancing, which will itself be netting them a decent secondary revenue stream.

GRIDSERVE PURCHASES CLAYHILL SOLAR FARM TO SUPPLY FIRST ELECTRIC FORECOURT® AND #DELIVER NET ZERO | Gridserve
I seen video too, but Gridserve aren’t a electricity supplier as far as I’m aware. Same logic as anyone in here having a power wall and some solar to offset their usage (albeit on a larger scale). Still need a supplier.

I seen video too, but Gridserve aren’t a electricity supplier as far as I’m aware. Same logic as anyone in here having a power wall and some solar to offset their usage (albeit on a larger scale). Still need a supplier.
It looks like Gridserve is a registered generator, via the Bedfordshire solar farm they acquired (Clayhill Solar Ltd). It used to be owned by Anesco, but according to Companies House shares directors with that of Gridserve.

They may well have an upstream supplier for the actual forecourt connection, but I doubt that’s public information at this stage.

Source: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/fil...y_registered_or_service_addresses_new_1.0.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1
But the Tesla chargers don't have protection from ice/snow risks when plugging in unlike the other chargers.

Shame about the lack of solar coverage over the Superchargers though.

The Owners Group were there today and this has been raised with them, and for future sites. I’m heading up to Norfolk from Surrey week after next and defo going to pop in and have a look round. It looks stunning, and I’m going to give the V3 a bashing with a warm pack and low SoC.

Gridserve have got the boxes all checked. Good pricing, large capacity, multiple revenue streams, renewable energy, good facilities. I wish them all the best, competition and ingenuity is needed to try and kick the lazy incumbents and the profiteers into shape.
10 or so currently in the works and 100 stations in the next 5 years is ambitious, but seriously hope it works out for them.

They said they welcome ICE drivers to come look around, might pop along if my 3 isn't delivered before then.

I have to say I was a bit of a sceptic when I saw this project initially and it seems I wasn't alone. The owners however have done really well to persevere, overcome all the naysayers and obstacles and see their vision come to fruition.
I have to say that I'm impressed with the Gridserve offering - not just the facilities but the range of chargers and especially the pricing. That price is knockout! I will go out of my way to pop in to Braintree and spend some dosh in their shops to support this venture. Well done to them!

Gridserve have got the boxes all checked. Good pricing, large capacity, multiple revenue streams, renewable energy, good facilities. I wish them all the best, competition and ingenuity is needed to try and kick the lazy incumbents and the profiteers into shape.
10 or so currently in the works and 100 stations in the next 5 years is ambitious, but seriously hope it works out for them.

They said they welcome ICE drivers to come look around, might pop along if my 3 isn't delivered before then.
I have to say if I was near enough to use it I would be tempted to use their chargers rather than the SuC's partly to leave them free for S/X who don't pay but also to support Gridserve. I assume they make nothing from SuC use and I think they probably need the cash more than Elon does

Reactions: tsh2 and 98dizzard
Not a single supercharger has solar coverage, anywhere?

Plus I was comparing the Gridserve site on a whole, not against other Supercharger locations.

Good to hear it’s been raised for future sites.

I think the comment was just in response to comments about the lack of solar canopy over the Superchargers ... i.e. just like every other Supercharger!

I have to say I was a bit of a sceptic when I saw this project initially and it seems I wasn't alone. The owners however have done really well to persevere, overcome all the naysayers and obstacles and see their vision come to fruition.
I have to say that I'm impressed with the Gridserve offering - not just the facilities but the range of chargers and especially the pricing. That price is knockout! I will go out of my way to pop in to Braintree and spend some dosh in their shops to support this venture. Well done to them!

Indeed ... I'm having to fight my in-built scepticism ... it looks great! For some reason I'm still worried it might be the only one we ever see! Come on big investors .. get in there and prove me wrong ... please!

I have to say if I was near enough to use it I would be tempted to use their chargers rather than the SuC's partly to leave them free for S/X who don't pay but also to support Gridserve. I assume they make nothing from SuC use and I think they probably need the cash more than Elon does

Its not too far from me, but I'm rarely heading that way, it would add 20 minutes onto a semi-regular long journey to go there at a point where I probably wouldn't need it anyway. But, I will certainly try to pop in for support. I'm sure they have some mutually beneficial agreement with Tesla, they wouldn't have put them in if they thought they weren't necessary.

How much are Tesla charging? Can’t see it on the website. Interesting to compare with 24p charge at the adjacent chargers.
Won’t know until it appears on the car’s nav. Can’t see Tesla pricing themselves out in comparison to the other chargers on site. Official website quotes 24p for all the chargers, as does PlugShare (which contents are usually controlled in-directly by Tesla).

While I commend what gridserv have done, and it looks great, miles ahead of anything else. I still think they are causing themselves problems by not placing their sites near more major roads, there is only so far someone is going to travel out of there way to get to one. The Braintree is quite in the sticks, and if your on the M11 it is quite a detour to use. As far as I understand, it will be similar locations for there other sites. If they don't get enough footfall it's only a matter of time before shops start closing and the place gets run down.

Gridserve are proving how hollow the promises of transformation are from oil companies.

Anyone know if there is a way to invest in Gridserve, I don't think my pension is secure solely in the hands of the FTSE.

This is interesting too, in the Braintree entry on tesla.com

Connect to ‘GRIDSERVE Free WiFi’ for fast and reliable free-of-charge WiFi
Tesla vehicle WiFi network also available outside - specifically provided for Tesla vehicles to connect to and download over-the-air updates

That's the same auto-connect wifi they have at tesla service centres I presume

Reactions: Andrew_SE23