Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grill Me!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't agree more. Mihai's design should get made for the M3 by the aftermarket if Tesla stands pat on the current design.

It was a "crowdfunded" design effort :) I think we just did what intuitively made sense, to harmonize the lines. Bold is one thing but that current front end looks like it melted. I still think the exterior and interior of the M3 have very little in common. Two very different approaches and this is not a good thing.

If the M3 keeps the snout as is, I foresee a great commercial potential in after market stickers for it. Such as:

D6VZLf0.png

As many places require a front plate, and aren't likely to change in the foreseeable future, there should be a way to put on the front plate that isn't a goofy add-on.

I've heard everything the front looking like a platypus bill to calling it a mini-model x. I think this is the only weak part of the design, and is a continuance from the Model X where they were undecided on whether to put a grill in and just took it off out of lack of other ideas. I also heard from someone at the event who question Franz about the grill directly and he said that the Model S had a grill because there was a small air intake that required it, and the Model X and Model 3 don't have that so they don't need a grill.

While I was glad someone had the gull to ask Franz or Elon, I am disappointed that they chose to tease a grill instead of putting one on. IMO The model S has the best design, and what I think people dont like most about the nose cone on the S is that remains black no matter what the car color is and that makes it look jarring when you start to go through the color options. However, on black its the best because the nosecone looks more apart of the design of the car. If they make the nose cone plastic piece the same body color as the car I think it would be received better overall, thats what people are liking about the grill-less X and now 3. For me having to drill into the body of the car for a plate is horrific and there is no way to avoid that with the Model 3 Design.

For the future survival of Tesla, the Model 3 has to make money.. and that is achieved through mass volume sales. To do that the car must appeal to the masses. The folks on this site are Tesla fans, yet a very clear majority have an issue with the current front nose design. If Tesla fans have reservations about the nose, Joe Public will have even more.

I'm all for bold, fresh designs... that's the definition of Tesla... but the design must have mass market appeal for Tesla to survive... and clearly the current nose design misses the mark.

Reassuringly this thread, and others, have demonstrated how trivially easy it will be to fix.

Kind Regards

I absolutely think the Model 3 needs to appeal to the masses, and with nearly 300k reservations made over the course of a few days, I'd say it definitely appeals to Joe Public. I would not say a majority of the people on this forum have an issue with the design...have you seen this poll right here on TMC? Over 70% very much enjoying the design, with another 20% thinking it's better than comparable vehicles. So over 90% approve, that's an overwhelming majority here on this forum. There are 2 threads I've seen on this forum in which a handful of users contributing to those threads are disappointed in the design, and that's certainly not a majority.

I will say that design tends to be somewhat subjective, and fully appreciate the opinion of those who don't like the nose, but their opinion is not the majority.

Reactions: souslik
I absolutely think the Model 3 needs to appeal to the masses, and with nearly 300k reservations made over the course of a few days, I'd say it definitely appeals to Joe Public. I would not say a majority of the people on this forum have an issue with the design...have you seen this poll right here on TMC? Over 70% very much enjoying the design, with another 20% thinking it's better than comparable vehicles. So over 90% approve, that's an overwhelming majority here on this forum. There are 2 threads I've seen on this forum in which a handful of users contributing to those threads are disappointed in the design, and that's certainly not a majority.

I will say that design tends to be somewhat subjective, and fully appreciate the opinion of those who don't like the nose, but their opinion is not the majority.

Considering that half put deposits down sight-unseen I suspect many didn't really care what it looked like as long it was a Tesla.

Considering that half put deposits down sight-unseen I suspect many didn't really care what it looked like as long it was a Tesla.

Half? 115k put in reservation sight unseen. We're now close to 300k. So nearly 2/3 reserved after seeing in a matter of days. Reservations have exceeded everyone's expectations, including Elon. This hardly sounds like the behavior of disappointed customers.

Reactions: AndreN
Yes, that makes sense I think. Here is an attempt:

fm54TJi.jpg

This area of the car is highly sensitive to the slightest change. Maybe some would prefer more of a "pinch" in the front, others more rounded. I tried to keep it somewhere in between.

And I think it's been mentioned a few times.....it's not about grill vs no grill, but doing something about that unfinished snout. I don't want a grill either. I also like S3XY's original suggestion, seems that would be a good compromise between the pro vs anti-snouts :)

Oink. Oink.

I prefer the more rounded smile, rather than the weird pointy pinched lips. It is a car, but I think subconsciously a happy looking person or pet face is the best analog.

Last edited:
Oh my. I said I liked a smile, but that looks more like a pout. I have to echo what someone else said: minor adjustments in this shape make a big difference in how it looks. Also aerodynamically. I still stand by my general comment that a smug nose or a frown are bad psychologically, and a good smile of some variety that is not smug or sad is a good alternative. I don't know if I'm right, but I'd love to see examples before I commit to my opinion.

But the Tesla Roadster didn't have a blunt, flat center nose. If the M3 nose looked more like the Roadster it would be OK.

There's smooth curve across the front. See?

View attachment 170269
Aha. I like this from the angle of the camera you took it at, AND this is what I was trying to say the first few posts I posted here. I guess it works with me. I think this is what I am trying to say is "a better option". Thoughts?

Edit: yeah, I really like this one, generically speaking. Would it fit the Model 3 shape?

Edit edit: just Google Image'd Tesla Roadster, and two comments: (1) cheesy and (2) payed close attention to my psychological feedback in my own mind and found out that I got happier with the smile Roadster look, and that the net benefit of that happiness hugely overcame any cheesiness I also saw.

Last edited:
Someone quickly post the link to this thread to Elon Twitter! He just asked for it!!

Yeah I was just about to post this. Good to hear they're interested in positive criticism.
Judging by the sheer numbers of reservations and Elons tweets I think Tesla is turning up the dial to get the car finished and the factory production scaled up faster than planned. They're going crazy over there I'm sure.

Really hoping Elon likes the look of the M3 with the front end of the MX. I think it matches so perfectly it's almost a shock they didn't start with it. I like the other version more than the original also but think the MX front end was meant to be.

I love the look of the shark nose front-end design on the M3. If you like the look of the MX, put an MX grill decal on it. Easy fix! For the other designs, let that be an after market body kit. Don't backpedal from the M3's evolved front end design… we have plenty of time to get used to it!

Jeebus get rid of grills. Fake S model grill is horrible and only made not to scary ppl used to looks at cars with grills for decades. Functionality and low air drag is the king and EV dont need grill.
Paradigms are shifting, welcome to the new era! :)
Model 3 has now aprox. drag low as 0,21 marvelous ;)

Since it looks like Elon might take a look at this thread, I wanted to chime in from the other side of the aisle. I like the current Model 3 front a lot,and I enjoy S3XY's contribution, but there seems to be a lot of support for Mihai75's design. Unfortunately, I think that change would practically be a deal-breaker for me (no offense Mihai, I just hate the concept. I'm sure you're a fantastic person). I hope I don't receive negative feedback about this, but I thought that input might be appreciated.