Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gripes about the Beta interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla will eventually change the interior (and you are lucky because you are getting the Model X, so the improved interior that will be done on the Model S 2.0 will make its way to the Model X).

If you had purchased a 1.5 or even a 2.0 Roadster I think you would see this whole situation differently. There is no doubt in my mind that Tesla will change the interior on subsequent Model S revisions. I think there should be some communication from Tesla. If the interior is going to be revised or another trim level is going to come out in the near future, Let us know! I do not want to buy this 1.5 car then find out 8 mos down the line version 2.0 comes out which solves all of the quams everyone here has about the interior. They did this to the 1.5 Roadster owners and I would hope they would learn and be more forthright on the Model S.

Some people are happy with the interior, let those people buy this Model S with its interior...if Tesla is going to come out with a higher end trim level that is fitting for a 100k car in the near future, I will be more than happy to defer. Tesla absolutely knows if they are or are not going to do this.

I empathize and would feel slightly cheated too if a better-appointed Model S 2.0 were to come out later in 2013. But, that's just the way it goes with most technology offerings, doesn't it? Again, not apples to apples (in terms of the money involved) but, a lot of iPhone 1.0 4 GB (!!!) buyers, including yours truly, were upset when Apple doubled the memory for the same price just a few months later - Apple made remedies of sorts by offering a $100 store credit; maybe, Tesla can do something similar too by offering some free accessories or service if such refinement were to happen in 2.0.

Speaking of Apple upgrades, in a lighter vein: What it's like to own an Apple product - The Oatmeal

1.5 came out like in 2009. By 2010 Tesla had the 2.0 and 2.5 already out...This company moves much quicker than a normal car company.

Those were hand built cars. You can't do things that fast with mass production. Your costs are too high to change things. You might see some slight changes but if you make large changes they start affecting other things.

I am sure there will be 'bug fix' changes. Like perhaps fixing a interior panel rattle. And some additional color choices. But I bet Tesla doesn't even give the Model S a facelift for 2.5 years. And interior/exterior facelifts ever 2-3 years is pretty standard in the auto industry.

I empathize and would feel slightly cheated too if a better-appointed Model S 2.0 were to come out later in 2013. But, that's just the way it goes with most technology offerings, doesn't it? Again, not apples to apples (in terms of the money involved) but, a lot of iPhone 1.0 4 GB (!!!) buyers, including yours truly, were upset when Apple doubled the memory for the same price just a few months later - Apple made remedies of sorts by offering a $100 store credit; maybe, Tesla can do something similar too by offering some free accessories or service if such refinement were to happen in 2.0.

Speaking of Apple upgrades, in a lighter vein: What it's like to own an Apple product - The Oatmeal

I thought Apple products usually had a lifecycle and came out at certain times?

Tesla updated the Roadster at random and one day bam the 2.0 came out and bam a few months later the 2.5 came out. They really do not have a normal product cycle and just implement at random. Perhaps the Model S will be different.

Echo ElSupreme's note that the Roadster rapid changes in a hand built car aren't going to translate to a factory line on the Model S. You've got to get the parts, program the line, do test runs, etc and they're sourcing a much larger volume than the Roadster so you have to get the sourcing all in place well ahead of time. Whatever interior we have at release isn't likely to change except perhaps as hand-done after market options.

Echo ElSupreme's note that the Roadster rapid changes in a hand built car aren't going to translate to a factory line on the Model S. You've got to get the parts, program the line, do test runs, etc and they're sourcing a much larger volume than the Roadster so you have to get the sourcing all in place well ahead of time. Whatever interior we have at release isn't likely to change except perhaps as hand-done after market options.

If there is a backlash I am sure they will change it. Its not like they are going to churn out 20k cars by December. Not that difficult to offer an enhanced interior as an option and implement it. This interior is fine for the base models not so much for the Signature or Performance models.

It will not ;)

Steph, I interviewed Tesla VP George Blankenship on Friday at the event. (The video is at the bottom of my post #1.) He told me point-blank this is the final interior. All they are doing now is "fit and finish" tweaks. AND, there will DEFINITELY be a Tesla console accessory. I used the "down the road" phrase in my question -- not him. Hopefully, the console will be ready at time of sig delivery, and announced by Elon as, "oh -- one more thing." :)

I was also told by the Model S and X product manager that Tesla will release new options as they become available. He also explained that more interior choices will probably become available as they ramp-up into higher volume manufacturing. It simply isn't cost-effective for them to offer too many combinations right now, just like Signatures are only available in 4 colors.

Sure, the Model S will evolve over time like any vehicle... For me, the current Beta performance will meet my needs. I specifically want to own the first version of Model S, which, if successful, I truly believe will become an iconic classic over time.

Some people here seem too focused on nit-picking the interior, and lose sight of the big picture. What about the amazing frunk? This vehicle offers more total storage than any sedan in its class! If one is male and needs to carry a lot of "stuff" inside the vehicle when driving, then why not put a Louis Vuitton bag that fits in the open storage area there. When you park, just toss it into the "frunk". As the product manager said, that's the last place any moronic thief will look for your "stuff".

I thought Apple products usually had a lifecycle and came out at certain times?

True of late. But, the iPhone 1.0 instance was curious and maybe has some parallels to the Model S. Here's the whole story: Apple to offer $100 store credit to iPhone customers | Apple - CNET News

Quoting the obvious from the late Steve Jobs now from that article:
"If you always wait for the next price cut or to buy the new improved model, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon"

Is it the Montreal air?! ;)

Steph, I interviewed Tesla VP George Blankenship on Friday at the event. (The video is at the bottom of my post #1.) He told me point-blank this is the final interior. All they are doing now is "fit and finish" tweaks. AND, there will DEFINITELY be a Tesla console accessory. I used the "down the road" phrase in my question -- not him. Hopefully, the console will be ready at time of sig delivery, and announced by Elon as, "oh -- one more thing." :)

I was also told by the Model S and X product manager that Tesla will release new options as they become available. He also explained that more interior choices will probably become available as they ramp-up into higher volume manufacturing. It simply isn't cost-effective for them to offer too many combinations right now, just like Signatures are only available in 4 colors.

Sure, the Model S will evolve over time like any vehicle... For me, the current Beta performance will meet my needs. I specifically want to own the first version of Model S, which, if successful, I truly believe will become an iconic classic over time.

Some people here seem too focused on nit-picking the interior, and lose sight of the big picture. What about the amazing frunk? This vehicle offers more total storage than any sedan in its class! If one is male and needs to carry a lot of "stuff" inside the vehicle when driving, then why not put a Louis Vuitton bag that fits in the open storage area there. When you park, just toss it into the "frunk". As the product manager said, that's the last place any moronic thief will look for your "stuff".

Can Sig Reservation holders defer? Would they still create a sig model 6 months down the line? This still is not clear to me since the Sig's will be the first 1,000 cars... so if a Sig reservation holder were to defer would they end up getting a P model? Or would Tesla refund them 45k and then deliver a P model?

With regards to the frunk, I do not want to have to put my ipod in the frunk everytime I leave the car....I am pretty sure I will forget one time and bam smashed glass window for a 200 dollar ipod. Some concern I have with the 17 inch screen, there is no way to hide or conceal it. A thief may think it is an ipad or computer and rip it out of the dash.

Can Sig Reservation holders defer? Would they still create a sig model 6 months down the line? This still is not clear to me since the Sig's will be the first 1,000 cars... so if a Sig reservation holder were to defer would they end up getting a P model? Or would Tesla refund them 45k and then deliver a P model?

With regards to the frunk, I do not want to have to put my ipod in the frunk everytime I leave the car....I am pretty sure I will forget one time and bam smashed glass window for a 200 dollar ipod. Some concern I have with the 17 inch screen, there is no way to hide or conceal it. A thief may think it is an ipad or computer and rip it out of the dash.
I think you should definitely be happy with what you order. If they don't have the center console that would make you happy, deferring to a production car once changes are made might make you happier. That might mean waiting until 2013 or 2014 though.

I think you should definitely be happy with what you order. If they don't have the center console that would make you happy, deferring to a production car once changes are made might make you happier. That might mean waiting until 2013 or 2014 though.

can't wait that long, I will just take what they give me :crying:

I'm on the same side of the tracks as the "We are getting what we have seen" crew. There are many items on the ToDo list that haven't been finalized...Software tweaks, iPhone app functionality, the nav system, the final suspension tweaks and perhaps a few other standard features or optional features available on the sigs and higher level production models like the performance. If there are interior changes to be made, it will be with fit and finish items, perhaps some switchgear (what little there are), solutions for the center console, and NVH adjustments. I really don't believe that we are going to see changes to the seats, dash, screen, or cup holders. These will become the lore of the first generation, much like the aluminized exteriors of the iPhone 1.

I think the lack of storage that everyone complains about is a big +. Why do you need a bunch of crap in your car anyway? Sunglasses are the only thing I have besides a wallet which goes in the front pocket of my Tesla jacket!
And yes, I have NO CELL and Love it!!

using that logic Tesla should put a bench seat up front

I think the lack of storage that everyone complains about is a big +. Why do you need a bunch of crap in your car anyway? Sunglasses are the only thing I have besides a wallet which goes in the front pocket of my Tesla jacket!
And yes, I have NO CELL and Love it!!

I have a mobile phone and well love it. But I don't use the phone while driving. So no need for it to ever come out of my pocket.

And I agree with you about lack of storage space being a plus. I cleaned out my car a week and a half ago and well most of my 'storage' locations were full of trash, crap, pens (I took out over 65 pens) or sea shells from a Florida vacation over a year ago. I would rather not have places for trash/crap to accumulate. I need room for my sunglasses, a handful of pens/pencils, my tire pressure gauge, a handfull of napkins, my credit cards, and my checkbook.

I have a mobile phone and well love it. But I don't use the phone while driving. So no need for it to ever come out of my pocket.

And I agree with you about lack of storage space being a plus. I cleaned out my car a week and a half ago and well most of my 'storage' locations were full of trash, crap, pens (I took out over 65 pens) or sea shells from a Florida vacation over a year ago. I would rather not have places for trash/crap to accumulate. I need room for my sunglasses, a handful of pens/pencils, my tire pressure gauge, a handfull of napkins, my credit cards, and my checkbook.

Better to have a place to hide your crap :) You know what'll end up happening? All that crap will end up on the floors of the car, stuffed into the glove compartment, or in the trunk.

I prefer to think that we are helping to polish a slightly rough diamond, rather than just nitpicking.

Someone mentioned a pocket running along the lower front edge of each front seat. If this truly is in the design, then my front-seat storage needs are met: wallet, sunglasses, printed directions (which I always carry on vacations, to ensure that I've got hotel reservation #s, phone #s, written-by-human directions, etc.), and some RFID cards.

The big outstanding issue for me is the rear seat. Each passenger should have a cupholder (water bottles are okay, soda is not), and there should be storage pockets on the back of the front seats, like every other sedan I've ever been in. Not much to ask, I hope.