Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm debating on getting the Hansshow version and Tesla offer one.
The Hansshow one doesn't tell you the current status of the Trunk correct, from either the App or the Screen?

Is there a groupbuy on these any time soon?

Are there any current installers in Socal?

Thanks!

Just finished isntalling the hansshow frunk kit. Had to make some adjustments to get it to close properly but overall went pretty smoothly.

A gripe with quality control though, when i took out the frunk liner (the large frunk piece) there were a couple broken clips (whatever it happens) two balls of crumpled up tape left behind in there and a missing part! A piece of rubber molding that covers the front suspension.

Attachments

• 20191120_193541.jpg
    20191120_193541.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 20191120_193516.jpg
    20191120_193516.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 90
Can anyone offer me some advice on how to handle a lost or stolen delivery? I have never received my order and the seller has gone silent. DHL claims it was left on my porch, but my security cameras did not catch anyone delivering it and there was no signature required so no real proof of delivery. I have lived here 20+ years an have never had a lost or stolen package and checking with neighbors turned up nothing also.

Any advice on what I can do beyond continuing to try to get a response from the seller would be appreciated.

I would like to report that the seller made good and I received a second shipment yesterday. It was delivered to the wrong address again, but my neighbor noticed the error and got it to me. It was tough communications throughout, but in the end all is good. Thanks to Quan for his assistance.

Gary

Reactions: William_Chan
Just finished isntalling the hansshow frunk kit. Had to make some adjustments to get it to close properly but overall went pretty smoothly.

A gripe with quality control though, when i took out the frunk liner (the large frunk piece) there were a couple broken clips (whatever it happens) two balls of crumpled up tape left behind in there and a missing part! A piece of rubber molding that covers the front suspension.

Not surprising, I've found missing clips and such all over the car. Some of it I think is intentional, to keep costs down, rather than quality control issues. Look at your fender liners, for example, you will probably find several empty holes where clips could go. They don't seem to be *required* but it's still pretty annoying. If you look at the frunk liner, there are positions for like 6 of those clips. My car only came with 2, both of which broke.

Hello is there an interest in doing a group purchase in the next week?

I suggest holding off on another group buy at this time.

There are some issues (shortcomings) with the original liftgate kit. As the current kit does NOT get interfaced to the car’s CANbus, the car does NOT know when the trunk lid is open. Thus, the touchscreen and the Tesla app always indicate the trunk is closed. As a result, I was unable to get the car alarm to activate by simulating a forced break-in to the trunk.

I’ve been in contact with Hansshow and they have been telling me they are working on a new version to address the shortcomings i told them about with the original kit. However it is very difficult dealing with them and the release of the revised kit has been delayed several times so far.

A “fix” (wiring harness modification and controller firmware update) was previously posted in this thread that allowed the car to know when the trunk lid was open. It was not a perfect fix because the trunk lid indication on the touchscreen would alternate between the open and closed position about once per second, and the trunk lights would flash ON and OFF in synchronization with the touchscreen indication, but it did enable the car to know the status of the trunk lid. Unfortunately, Hansshow requested that the modification instructions and updated firmware be removed from this thread. It was an easy modification to make to a kit already installed in the car.

According to my discussions with Hansshow, the revised kit (whenever it becomes available) will show when the trunk lid is open by alternating the indication on the touchscreen between the open and closed position (just like with the modification that was originally posted herein but later pulled), but the trunk lights will stay ON when the trunk is open (that is, they will not flash ON and OFF as they do in the pulled modification). I requested that Hansshow provide instructions (and the required firmware update) so that I can test the revisions and everyone herein can modify their installed kits. Unfortunately, Hansshow will not do so, saying we must buy a whole new liftgate kit and that I (meaning we) should trust them to have solved the shortcomings of the original design. I don’t think that is reasonable.

Tesla Offer sells a similar kit (for a little more money) but it connects to the car’s CANBus and thus does not suffer from the shortcomings of the current Hansshow kit. However, there is a risk that if Tesla changes the CANBus signals the Tesla Offer kit may not work until Tesla Offer issues a revised firmware release. Thus, one could have problems if, say, Tesla Offer was no longer in business down the road.

There are other kits on the market too. I have not examined the various kits at this time to determine whether one exists that does not require connection to the CANBus while providing a proper indication of the status of the trunk lid.

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner

There are some issues (shortcomings) with the original liftgate kit. As the current kit does NOT get interfaced to the car’s CANbus, the car does NOT know when the trunk lid is open. Thus, the touchscreen and the Tesla app always indicate the trunk is closed. As a result, I was unable to get the car alarm to activate by simulating a forced break-in to the trunk.

I’ve been in contact with Hansshow and they have been telling me they are working on a new version to address the shortcomings i told them about with the original kit. However it is very difficult dealing with them and the release of the revised kit has been delayed several times so far.

A “fix” (wiring harness modification and controller firmware update) was previously posted in this thread that allowed the car to know when the trunk lid was open. It was not a perfect fix because the trunk lid indication on the touchscreen would alternate between the open and closed position about once per second, and the trunk lights would flash ON and OFF in synchronization with the touchscreen indication, but it did enable the car to know the status of the trunk lid. Unfortunately, Hansshow requested that the modification instructions and updated firmware be removed from this thread. It was an easy modification to make to a kit already installed in the car.

According to my discussions with Hansshow, the revised kit (whenever it becomes available) will show when the trunk lid is open by alternating the indication on the touchscreen between the open and closed position (just like with the modification that was originally posted herein but later pulled), but the trunk lights will stay ON when the trunk is open (that is, they will not flash ON and OFF as they do in the pulled modification). I requested that Hansshow provide instructions (and the required firmware update) so that I can test the revisions and everyone herein can modify their installed kits. Unfortunately, Hansshow will not do so, saying we must buy a whole new liftgate kit and that I (meaning we) should trust them to have solved the shortcomings of the original design. I don’t think that is reasonable.

Tesla Offer sells a similar kit (for a little more money) but it connects to the car’s CANBus and thus does not suffer from the shortcomings of the current Hansshow kit. However, there is a risk that if Tesla changes the CANBus signals the Tesla Offer kit may not work until Tesla Offer issues a revised firmware release. Thus, one could have problems if, say, Tesla Offer was no longer in business down the road.

There are other kits on the market too. I have not examined the various kits at this time to determine whether one exists that does not require connection to the CANBus while providing a proper indication of the status of the trunk lid.
The new version power trunk is ready now.

The new version power trunk is ready now.

New version Model 3 power trunk

I would like to report that the seller made good and I received a second shipment yesterday. It was delivered to the wrong address again, but my neighbor noticed the error and got it to me. It was tough communications throughout, but in the end all is good. Thanks to Quan for his assistance.

Gary
We try our best to serve clients, so we send you a new parcel.
I guess you last parcel been shipped to a wrong place.
Please let us know if you need any other help.

It’s very difficult to get any assistance from Hansshow. I have asked them 4 times why my soft close motor for the frunk kit has only 1 gray connector to plug into the controller module, when the Hansshow installation video shows the frunk soft close motor having 2 gray connectors, and the frunk controller module has 2 gray ports for plugging in 2 connectors. I can’t get an answer from them. I just sent them a video showing I only have 1 gray connector. Hopefully they will now understand.
The new version soft-close motor only need 1 plug, it can help you do the connection better.

Reactions: SSF3
Unfortunately, Hansshow will not do so, saying we must buy a whole new liftgate kit and that I (meaning we) should trust them to have solved the shortcomings of the original design. I don’t think that is reasonable.
That is ridiculous. I have a Tesla Offer one and I requested to buy any extra wires etc I need from Hansshow to make it work like their one and they told me pretty much the same thing. They are not "compatible" and I would need to buy a complete new one from Hansshow. What bull. The kits are pretty much identical apart from some different wiring and different firmware on the controller. Hansshow are just being greedy.