Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for $100 and change View attachment 539815 The kit arrived DHL this AM
  1. Wire harness black
  2. Foot sensor with screws
  3. Relay box
  4. Double sided tape and wire ties
  5. Wire harness from foot switch to relay box
  6. Trans flash memory card
  7. Rubber bladder
No Instructions whatsoever
No replacement latch motor assemblies
No replacement controller

Too be continued

@notrhj,
Great! Let us know how it installs...the changes from original and how it works. No instructions on install or is it pretty obvious/self explanatory? Let us know if it kills the Frunk Open/Close depiction on the app with this as it does the trunk.

@smatthew as well!

P.S. you guys got those pretty quick? 2-3 weeks?

Ski

Ok, did my install on my V3 Frunk from Hansshow today (and I have the Foot Sensor but didn't install it, I'll explain why).

To Start I used this video

Great walkthrough with a few differences with V3.
1. It comes with the rubber pouch which .. is kinda a pain to get the control box in there.
2. There is only 1 gray plug that comes off the soft open/close. It still works fine only plugging in the 1.
3. Mine did not have most of the cables labeled in English at all. Still easy enough to figure out what plugs where
4. On the newer one I got, the plug that goes into the Front button (the button inside the frunk) is only used during setup. After that, you unplug it and just plug the front button back directly into the factory cable. If you don't, the frunk will auto open every 8 seconds. I have no idea why this is different unless it's something to program the unit to the OEM electronics. BTW that front button plug is a pain in the butt to get the wire unsnapped.
5. Programming mode i believe requires the front button cable to be connected, so if you want to adjust the speed of it, do it BEFORE you put everything back in place. Just holding the front button doesn't trigger the programming mode like the instruction say.

Other than that: this video gave me a really easy walkthrough and it worked like a charm. I can't remember any other differences.

Now on to the foot sensor. There were ZERO instructions in the box of what to do but I found this video which is a good install video

Seems super simple. Though in reading the comments here is a very important note. I don't know if this is common knowledge but it wasn't to me so I'll post it.

THE CAR MUST BE FULLY UNLOCKED FOR THE FOOT SENSOR TO WORK.

That means, it won't trigger unless the mirrors are fully folded out. Just being near it with your Key Fob/Phone doesn't all the foot sensor to work. You will need to open your door to fully unlock it before the foot sensor works.

I have a Keyfob that i bought which means there is almost zero benefit to having the foot sensor as I would need to get a hand free to unlock the key via the keyfob or door anyways. Might as well just double tap the key fob to open the frunk (which WILL open it even if the car is locked). So just a word of warning that as of right now, that's the only way it works. For me it wasn't worth installing then. I can't ever see it being useful to me (with a Keyfob). For someone that just uses their phone, it might still help but isn't as straightforward as just walking up and waving your foot.

I'll probably end up just selling the foot sensor (if anyone is interested in it, let me know).

Overall: V3 works great as intended. Keyfob opens and closes. App opens and closes. Screen opens and closes. It took me maybe 2 hours to do all of it and that was with me taking my time and watching the video. Could easily be done in 30-45 minutes if someone already knew what they were doing. I'll definitely be using my frunk way more often now.

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
@notrhj,
Great! Let us know how it installs...the changes from original and how it works. No instructions on install or is it pretty obvious/self explanatory? Let us know if it kills the Frunk Open/Close depiction on the app with this as it does the trunk.

@smatthew as well!

Ski
11 days from order to delivery for me. Of course, William from Hansshow isn't responding to messages on WhatsApp now even after reading them.

@notrhj,

@smatthew as well!

Ski
You can see my other post for answers to lots of those but for the other questions.

When the Frunk is closed :
1. App shows the closed image and pressing the Frunk button prompts to open the Frunk and the Frunk opens
2. Interior screen shows closed and the button says open

When the Frunk is open:
1. App shows the Frunk open on the image of the car. Pressing the Frunk button in the app prompts to OPEN the Frunk but it actually closes it. Then once closed the image updates to closed
2. Interior screen shows the Frunk closed and has an Open button. Pressing the open button closes the Frunk.

As far as timing. I ordered April 21st and got it May 4th.

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
I don't know if this is common knowledge but it wasn't to me so I'll post it.

THE CAR MUST BE FULLY UNLOCKED FOR THE FOOT SENSOR TO WORK.

That means, it won't trigger unless the mirrors are fully folded out. Just being near it doesn't allow the foot sensor to work.
I am SO DISAPPOINTED (can we swear on here w/o censorship?) Why cannot we open the frickin' frunk easily? I never end up using it because I have to get in or wait for the app to respond on my phone. Can't I just walk up to the frackin' car and wave at it, it's already processing all the images coming in the camera for Sentry mode, can't it also see me waving and check that my phone is on me and pop the frunk???

I was SO excited when this was released and now I have a $69 piece of junk...

I am SO DISAPPOINTED (can we swear on here w/o censorship?) Why cannot we open the frickin' frunk easily? I never end up using it because I have to get in or wait for the app to respond on my phone. Can't I just walk up to the frackin' car and wave at it, it's already processing all the images coming in the camera for Sentry mode, can't it also see me waving and check that my phone is on me and pop the frunk???

I was SO excited when this was released and now I have a $69 piece of junk...

I agree. The lack of a way to open the frunk from outside the car is a huge design flaw. I don't understand why tesla didn't make the hood logo into a frunk opening button. Climbing into the drivers seat just to press the button on the touchscreen is super awkward.

Does anyone know where one can purchase replacement clips for the trunk trim? Specificly the white one. I know I could get them from Service Center however closest one to me is about 350km. Any alternative would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200510_112056.jpg
    IMG_20200510_112056.jpg
    602.6 KB · Views: 108
Ok, got ahold of William at Hansshow this morning. I asked for and received directions for both the v3 harness and the foot sensor.

Not particularly pleased that I have to modify the foot sensor cable and board before I can use it.
PHOTO-2020-05-11-06-24-39.jpg

Attachments

• Tesla Model 3 Power Frunk Installation Instruction - version 3.0.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
  • Tesla Model 3 Power Frunk Kick Sensor Installation Guide.pdf
    221.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Software Updating.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: israndy
Ok, got ahold of William at Hansshow this morning. I asked for and received directions for both the v3 harness and the foot sensor.

Not particularly pleased that I have to modify the foot sensor cable and board before I can use it.
View attachment 540695

@smatthew,

I’ve seen some install vids and they didn’t do the wiring nor control board mod/hack. What exactly is the control board hack modifying or defeating? I.e. Why?
Also thought they send you the update on a card already? Where do you get the FW update download?
I’m assuming maybe they made a change ‘after’ they sent yours out and any ‘new’ boards and harness are shipped out corrected with the new criteria as to preclude having to do all this extra electrical work? Is that the case?

Ski

Last edited:
@smatthew,

I’ve seen some install vids and they didn’t do the wiring nor control board mod/hack. What exactly is the control board hack modifying or defeating? I.e. Why?
Also thought they send you the update on a card already? Where do you get the FW update download?
I’m assuming maybe they made a change ‘after’ they sent yours out and any ‘new’ boards and harness are shipped out corrected with the new criteria as to preclude having to do all this extra electrical work? Is that the case?

Ski
For some reason, there was no card in my package. Lame, but I have enough sd cards so I just asked William to send me the new firmware.
I have no idea what's going on with the foot sensor. And my board doesn't perfectly match the one in the documents - My board already has the 3 pins joined on the back of the board, and solder blobs on R3, R5, and R6. I messaged William to find out what's going on. My wires definitely didn't match the new wiring in the document.

Using google translate on the PCB, the wires are now moved so that the wire from the kick sensor now goes to an input labeled "Kick" - previously it went to "Normally Open". And the output wire goes to something labeled "Public 2" - previously it went to "Keys"

So, William from Hansshow responded back. "Oh don't do the kick sensor modification".
me: "Why did you send me that file?"
luckily he helped me reverse the changes I had made.

I've asked the mods to remove that file from my earlier post.

Last edited:
So, William from Hansshow responded back. "Oh don't do the kick sensor modification".
me: "Why did you send me that file?"
luckily he helped me reverse the changes I had made.

I've asked the mods to remove that file from my earlier post.
Thanks for the follow up. I'm assuming you are planning on installing the kick sensor? If so, I'd be curious if your experience of how it works aligns with the comments on the video I posted.

Thanks for the follow up. I'm assuming you are planning on installing the kick sensor? If so, I'd be curious if your experience of how it works aligns with the comments on the video I posted.
Yeah, I'll install it this week. I'm hoping that it at least works to close the frunk. Honestly - the way they're handling this is interesting. The frunk module has no knowledge of the security status or drive status of the car, so the foot sensor doesn't connect to that. The foot sensor triggers the emergency frunk release. Apparently, the emergency frunk release (you know, the one where you put 9V or 12V to the terminals) only works if a) 12V battery is dead, or b) car is unlocked.

I recall that many months ago a bunch of people were concerned that you could use the emergency frunk release when the battery was not dead. I now assume that when they tested it, the car was unlocked, so vcfront popped the frunk.

Does anyone know where one can purchase replacement clips for the trunk trim? Specificly the white one. I know I could get them from Service Center however closest one to me is about 350km. Any alternative would be appreciated. Thanks.

FYI, for anyone that need to replace that broken clip, you can purchase them through Service Center via phone and they will ship it to you if the Service Center is far away from you. The part number is #1142766-00-A (TRIM CLIP,10x1.2GRIP,3.1SET-UP,POM)

Reactions: smatthew
I agree. The lack of a way to open the frunk from outside the car is a huge design flaw. I don't understand why tesla didn't make the hood logo into a frunk opening button. Climbing into the drivers seat just to press the button on the touchscreen is super awkward.
You can use a nfc tag sticker on the hood you waive your phone it can execute a command to open the Frunk